Battlestar Galactica: SPOILERS for season 4

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh. No wonder I was confused, this being the Battlestar Galactica thread and all. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interesting point. If Tigh has impregnated the imprisoned six, is this the first completely Cylon baby?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I don't know if I can believe that Tigh slept with Six. In all the interactions we've seen him in with Six, he will get momentarily swayed when he sees Ellen, but snap out of it and become violent with Six because he thinks she's playing a trick on him. I know other people have speculated that Cottle is lying, maybe wondering if he's the last Cylon, but I don't see Cottle as the last cylon and why would he lie?

I don't think Lampkin is the final Cylon either, but to me it was odd to bring him back for this episode. Much of it didn't make sense to me.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh I think he slept with her all right, there was a couple of scenes where they did not finish kissing before the fade, and he had the cameras turned off. Also, when challenged directly by Adama he didn't deny it.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Hey, I thought you said the UK was carrying straight on with BSG? Why wasn't it on last night?! :rage:
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Eru, as far as I know, the latest episode released in the UK (Sky One HD) was "4x08 - Sine Qua Non" - that was last Friday.
The next episode ("4x09 - The Hub") will be on next Jun. 6th, same date that in the US.
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I saw Sine Qua Non last Tuesday. Alatar had mentioned elsewhere that Sky was continuing on whilst the US had a break. I believe Sine Qua Non won't air in the US until this Friday.

I see BSG is back on Sky next Tuesday night so I know it's not gone for that long, but I wasn't expecting to have to wait. I was surprised to see it wasn't on last night.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sine Qua Non ran last Friday here, Eru.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I'm not going to read this thread at all yet, but I just finished season three and there is a whole world of WHAT THE FRAK.

Is the last one Starbuck? It looks like that's where they're heading and I really hope not because I love her. (I don't actually want the answer to this question.)

More, equally articulate reactions to follow.
Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Been there! :D

No spoilers, but it's worth the trip.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

I'm really surprised there's no discussion of the finale. Works for me, though, because I just finished watching it and I have thoughts. Lots of thoughts. Yes, this post is going to be spoiler full.

First, regarding the above discussion about Tigh and Six, am I the only one who was rather disturbed by their relationship? The fact that it started with he as a prisoner was bad enough, but then they got all "We are SO IN LOVE" which disappeared with the baby. It was just really quick and really bizarre and especially considering that the story line didn't go anywhere, I did not care for it at all and was relieved when it was over.

Second -- the finale! WHAT. I was wondering if they were going to end up being our ancestors, but the way it was done felt odd. I find it hard to believe that after all of the uproar over just about everything Adama and Roslin did that the fleet would just give up their tech like that.

The Hera mission also seems a bit out there to me. Maybe I'm a cold hearted cynic, but I wanted something more concrete about her importance to the Colonials. It just seemed like the risk and the cost outweighed the potential rewards. Also, that was the opera house? All they had to do was take her to CIC? After building up that vision for two (or was it three?) seasons, I expected something much bigger. The parallels as Roslin and Athena were chasing Hera were well done, but that reveal lacked any oomph.

I'll wrap up my thoughts for tonight (don't worry! I have more.) with Starbuck. There was just something unsatisfying about her fate. Maybe I'm too attached to her character, but for someone who was so alive, so real, it felt wrong to have her just disappear like that. I suppose it means she was dead all along and was an angel or similar, but is that really the best they could do? Even Starbuck would mock that. I can't explain why this bothers me any better than that, but it does.

I realise how negative this all is so I will add that Galactica's final fight was epic in the best way. And I have to admit, I wasn't exactly unhappy when the Chief killed Tory. I never liked her that much and she never fit in with the Five somehow. It was a fantastic show and I'm sorry to be done with it.
Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I was disappointed in Starbucks fate also. And was really happy to see Tory killed off, she irratated the crap out of me.

However, Gaeta has been on Smallville. :D
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

One month later, I'm still really upset about the BSG finale. It really comes down to expectations, I suppose. It wasn't actually a bad episode, but to come to that after the heights they reached in Season 1 is just terrible. I do wish they hadn't started setting up "mysteries". Moore should have realized sooner that "It's the characters, stupid." Considering how frakked up they all were, there should have been more than enough material there to mine without having to interject angels and such. If the ending had at least been scientifically sound, I could be ok with it, but even that was off.

That said, what I'm wondering is if anyone else is watching Caprica. I was a little skeptical after the first episode which I found be to be quite predictable, but it seems to be heading to interesting places. Also, seeing what Joe Adama is really like after hearing Apollo talk about him -- he's not quite what I expected.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw the first two and then have just been collecting it on the DVR with the intention of watching it. My impression after the first two hours was that it was interesting, but it didn't grab me by the throat. I intend to watch it, but don't have much time and when there is time, the Olympics tend to be what people are watching.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I just finished watching Season 1, which I started watching last week. Why didn't anyone tell me how good this show was!!??? :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
(Though I've unintentionally caught spoilerish bits about the god stuff getting more and more play which is...worrisome. :suspicious: )

A question: I usually avoid spoilers but they just introduced, at the end of 2.0, the Admiral of the BS Pegasus and I instantly disliked the character. Please tell me she's not a long-term show fixture. :suspicious: (Seriously, why do they get a woman who looks half of Adama's age to play his superior. :x :x :x :x )
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Your head is in the right place, yov. :D

The show is more about religion than it is about God or gods, if you see what I'm saying. The intersection of people and belief, and what (good and bad) it does to them. It's a strong thread but not the only thread, not at all.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You didn't answer my question. :poke: :halo:

We'll see how I feel about it by the end but already early on in Season 1 the constant talk about god's plan and such was making me wary. I've always disliked fates and destinies and whatnots mucking up my fiction stories.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The answer, if you really want the spoiler, is no, Cain is not long term. She just makes quite an impact while she's around. You'll never like her, but you'll be glad she's in the story.

As for fates and destinies, it's a fuzzy question because that is involved. But it's much more important the impact a belief in having a fate, or having a destiny, has on the people with that belief. An agnostic can still enjoy the drama. It's not being fated to do something, but believing one is fated to do something, that bends history.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Primula Baggins wrote:It's not being fated to do something, but believing one is fated to do something, that bends history.
Or, believing someone else is fated.

The role of religion becomes quite interesting really because the Cylons and the humans believe in different gods. The humans follow the Greek Pantheon, more or less. The Cylons are monotheists. Both believe that they are fulfilling the wishes of their respective deities, or, if an individual character doesn't honestly believe that, they claim they do because it suits their purposes. The way these beliefs bounce off each other is nicely done and, just as nicely done, the writers of the series don't necessarily use religion to delineate the good guys from the bad guys. What I also found interesting was how, when the weird sh*t and big reveals go down in Season 4, the more religious characters don't necessarily deal with it better than the non-religious ones. If anything, some have a harder time with it because that wasn't how they believed things were supposed to go.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Thanks, Prim!

...the rest of it feels too spoilerish perhaps so I skipped over it. :P

PS - this is overall an amazing show so far but I have a few complaints the biggest which is that, so far, I have disliked everything about Geiss (sp?) and all of his story lines. I find him poorly, weirdly written and a lot of his plots implausible. (eg. why doesn't everyone think he's insane by now????)
-The Decemberists