Random literary quotes

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Random literary quotes

Post by Frelga »

Today, I was ambushed by this quote from Hogfather
Terry Pratchett wrote:'Willow bark,' said the Bursar.
'That's a good idea,' said the Lecturer of Recent Runes. 'It's an analgesic.'
'Really? Well, possibly, though it's probably better to give it to him by mouth,' said Ridcully.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Today, I was ambushed by this quote from Hogfather
Terry Pratchett wrote:'Willow bark,' said the Bursar.
'That's a good idea,' said the Lecturer of Recent Runes. 'It's an analgesic.'
'Really? Well, possibly, though it's probably better to give it to him by mouth,' said Ridcully.
Good lord, clearly I need to read the book again, I've forgotten this quote entirely! :shock: :rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The other one was from Equal Rites, as I was listening to Mark Oshiro read it.
The lodgings were on the top floor next to the well-guarded premises of a respectable dealer in stolen property because, as Granny had heard, good fences make good neighbors.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!