Most annoying character in literature?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

First character I thought of was Bella Swan, absolutely detestable in every way possible. Could she be a bigger Betty Sue? Can't believe she didn't appear until the third page of this thread, unless everyone is just so ashamed to admit they've read Twlight...I know I'm not really proud.

Dora Spenlow from David Copperfield she annoyed me because she wasn't right for Davey and he was a fool to think so...
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

RE: Bella

We said literature. ;)

I wouldn't call Dora annoying per se. After all, inappropriate relationships are at the heart of about half of all literature. :D There should be a separate category for characters and actions that make you go "BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!"
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

axordil wrote:RE: Bella

We said literature. ;)

I wouldn't call Dora annoying per se. After all, inappropriate relationships are at the heart of about half of all literature. :D There should be a separate category for characters and actions that make you go "BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!"
Don't make me call you guys out for being snooty. Books are books call them what you will. Literature smiterature. Twilight qualifies no matter how crappy of a novel it is. As does Dora as an annoying whimpy character. Are you trying to tell me my dearest Ax that Dora didn't annoy me?! :P :P :P :D

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But was she inherently annoying, or only incidentally annoying because of her plot function? That's the question.
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Dora was useless thus making her annoying, so I guess that would fall under her plot function. She's no Bella Swan I'll give you that.

Briony from Atonement was really annoying too. She was a brat that needed a swift kick in the pants.

DyanSwan

Post by DyanSwan »

Hi, I'm new to the group. I was intrigued by this topic and the comments. After reading your posts on Emma, I have to reconsider my thoughts on her, because I do find her irritating.

For me the most irritating character in literature is Don Quixote. I know that the book is considered one of the greats, but I just didn't like the central characters, especially Don Quixote, and I wasn't fond of the endless descriptions of bodily functions. I did feel for Don Quixote in one scene, the scene where his books were sold. I found that scene touching and sad. The rest of the book, for me, just grated.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

DQ is one of those books that suffers when read out of its historical and literary context. Read four or five interminable medieval romances beforehand and it comes off very differently.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

DyanSwan wrote:Hi, I'm new to the group. I was intrigued by this topic and the comments. After reading your posts on Emma, I have to reconsider my thoughts on her, because I do find her irritating.

For me the most irritating character in literature is Don Quixote. I know that the book is considered one of the greats, but I just didn't like the central characters, especially Don Quixote, and I wasn't fond of the endless descriptions of bodily functions. I did feel for Don Quixote in one scene, the scene where his books were sold. I found that scene touching and sad. The rest of the book, for me, just grated.
Oh, amen. :D
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Not a character per se, but I always thought Henry David Thoreau in Walden to be insufferable. I kept finding myself wanting him to just shut up, which of course would have defeated the purpose of the book.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

axordil wrote:...Read four or five interminable medieval romances beforehand and it comes off very differently.

Ax! :D Anything would come off well after four or five interminable medieval romances!

DyanSwan! :happydance: Good to see you here!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This might get me in trouble, but I found Legolas annoying.

"Farewell! I go to fetch the sun!" indeed. Meanwhile, Aragorn and Boromir are doing all of the actual work... :rage:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

St00pid nancing Elves. :P
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We all know that as soon as he was out of sight? Spa day. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Jude! :shock:

I may not speak to you again!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Stretching the definition of "character", can I also say that I find the author of the "Eragon" series excessively annoying? It was a half-decent story, but it was told so badly, I gave up on it part-way through the third book.

And I'll almost never stop a book half-way through, even if I don't like it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Eragon was the first book my son abandoned unfinished. The story has been told much better by others, like George Lucas.

Too bad, really. The boy who wrote it was not without talent, simply too young and inexperienced to create something really new. Has he written anything else since?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Yes, while I really liked the first two books of The Hunger Games Katniss grew so increasingly annoying. Her constant wavering between the two love-interests, the continuous self-loathing, it all get on my nerves at intervals. And those bad traits grew so uch in the third book that I actually ended up disliking it.
And I hated Gale. For some reason or other, he appeared to selfish. :roll:

But the most annoying character written? Jar Jar Binks!

(What? Screenwritings can lead to novelizations in future!)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Jar Jar needs the voice acting to be worth of the title. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists