Most annoying character in literature?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Maria, it WAS pretty dark. But I thought it was really well done. And Katniss WAS only a teenager, so of course she's conflicted between two guys! ALL teenagers are conflicted.

Gale was a huge ego-maniac, though!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

You want annoying? How about Effie Trinkett? (Since I don't have a print copy, I don't know how her name was spelled.) You should have heard the accent and voice the reader gave her! *shudder* THAT was annoying. Gale was almost ... insiginificant.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I liked the books well enough, but I don't think I can watch the movie. The premise - it's no spoiler, since it's in the trailer - is that all these children are killing each other in gladiator-style games.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I won't be there. Real life is bleak enough (I mean in general, and how the world works, and where it all seems to be headed). I don't want to subject myself to invented horrors, particularly if children are being hurt.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

There are many YA books I would never read, even if stranded on a desert island with no other reading material.

Any book with vampires, zombies, or a bleak dystopian future is out, too.

I look at the TV guide and wonder: what the hell is this all about? The "supernatural" rules and IT SUX.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ioreth always annoyed me. Although she did come up with that great "hands of a king are the hands of a healer" line.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:agree:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

vison wrote:There are many YA books I would never read, even if stranded on a desert island with no other reading material.

Any book with vampires, zombies, or a bleak dystopian future is out, too.

I look at the TV guide and wonder: what the hell is this all about? The "supernatural" rules and IT SUX.
Then you'll have deprived yourself of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which is a work of singular genius. I love Pride and Prejudice, but found the juxtaposition of a horror story very funny.

Maria, I don't tihnk the literary establishment in the UK looks kindly on fantasy. JK Rowling something about not writing fantasy which drew a sharp response from Sir Terry. I tihnk his books are both literature and Literature, if you see what I mean.

The Nac Mac Feegle remind me of an act by 80s UK comic Russ Abbot, See You Jimmy, who was a redheaded scot in a Kilt who spoke unintligbly and has a propensity to head butt. The joke wore of pretty soon and it's the same with the pictsies. The only Pratchett book I haven't yet started is Wintersmith and I have liekd the witches part, but the feegles put me off.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Quite a few characters in the Harry Potter books annoy me. :blackeye: And I don't mean the obvious villains, like Umbridge or Bellatrix. I mean some of the characters the author wants us to like. =:) And I most certainly don't mean Snape. He's my fave. :halo:

- I loathe Peter Pettigrew, even more so because JKR never gave him an actual personality.
- I detest James Potter, the worst bully in the entire series. :x (OK, Umbridge was the worst, but that still doesn't pacify me. :D)
- I'm afraid I find Hagrid rather annoying, but that's because JKR insists on making the guy a teacher. No, just no. A loving surrogate father to Harry - yes. But a teacher - are you kidding me?! :help:
- Dobby annoys me. I will never find House-elves cute. Weird little gobliny things. Ew. :P

But my most irritating character is the heroine of Aussie fantasy The Bitterbynde Trilogy, Rohain-Tahquil-Ashalind 'she who is more awesome/beautiful/amazing than Lúthien Tinúviel'. :roll: That series began so well but the final book was a crashing, awful disappointment. I began to get twitchy half way through the second book, as Tahquil became ever more Mary-Sueish, snagging the Perfect Man to boot (yawn). Oh yeah, if I remember correctly, her hair keeps changing colour: from perfect daffodil-blonde to raven-black and then to red. :D Or something! Mind you, I should have got a clue about Mary Sue in the first book, when the beleaguered heroine (who has lost her memory due to an ancient curse) doesn't seem to notice that she is not, in fact, a boy. :P

While I'm a-hatin', here's much hate for the insufferable Faeran of Bitterbynde, that world's version of the Elves or lios alfar. What a bunch of cold, haughty, self-absorbed ... !!!! Rohain lost even more brownie points with me for wanting to join these unpleasant immortals. :twisted:

I hated Edward Rochester as portrayed by Jean Rhys in her troubling and brilliant novel Wide Sargasso Sea. (And I love him in Jane Eyre! Sob!)

I can't hate Emma Woodbridge. Emma learns from her stupid mistakes. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Perhaps the most annoying characters are those we identify with at some level even though we'd rather not.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I'm not short, not blue, and not in any way Scottish?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I nominate Esmeralda in "Tarzan of the Apes".
ERB wrote:"Esmeralda! Esmeralda!" she cried. "Help me, or we are lost."

Esmeralda opened her eyes. The first object they encountered was the dripping fangs of the hungry lioness.

With a horrified scream the poor woman rose to her hands and knees, and in this position scurried across the room, shrieking: "O Gaberelle! O Gaberelle!" at the top of her lungs.

Esmeralda weighed some two hundred and eighty pounds, and her extreme haste, added to her extreme corpulency, produced a most amazing result when Esmeralda elected to travel on all fours.

For a moment the lioness remained quiet with intense gaze directed upon the flitting Esmeralda, whose goal appeared to be the cupboard, into which she attempted to propel her huge bulk; but as the shelves were but nine or ten inches apart, she only succeeded in getting her head in; whereupon, with a final screech, which paled the jungle noises into insignificance, she fainted once again.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Thomas Covenant is one of the most annoying characters I know of. Literature or not.

Also, nearly every single character in George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series is annoying. The trick there is to find the ones that aren't.

And then there's Sauron, who could be more annoying than him, with his Eye and his general evilty?
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

CosmicBob wrote:And then there's Sauron, who could be more annoying than him, with his Eye and his general evilty?
Sauron is kewl. :D

Seriously. If you're going to have a truly ev0l villain, make him a mysterious figure that others speak of with dread. 8) (I think he's even more scary in The Silmarillion, though, with his werewolf disguise).

Now, Voldemort is annoying. :P He does this classic stupid thing that Dark Lords should never do, i.e. make a Big Speech once he's captured his nemesis, and then go on speechifying for ten minutes, which gives young Harry Potter plenty of time in which to hatch a Plan. :blackeye:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I have read only the first Harry Potter book but I have endured all the movies.

If that Voldemort dude was SUCH a powerful wizard? Why the blankety-blankety-blank couldn't he make himself a nose?

He could have been handsome and just wear a sign saying, "I'm The Evil Lord Voldemort!"

He basically did, anyway. :rage:
Dig deeper.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Aravar wrote:I'm not short, not blue, and not in any way Scottish?
I should have limited my statement to "protagonists."

Annoying supporting characters, you can simply skip over, like pages of descriptions of the flora of a valley. Yeah, it's got flowers, we get it. :D
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

axordil wrote: Annoying supporting characters, you can simply skip over, like pages of descriptions of the flora of a valley. Yeah, it's got flowers, we get it. :D
Skip? With the Feegles trampling would be better.

I don't find most of the Song of Ice and Fire characters annoying, only Sansa Stark. She cannot, really, be related to any of the others. It's some of the pointless plot meanderings that annoy me.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Say, is there any reason why this thread needs to be in Bag End? Would anyone object if it was moved to the Library of Rivendell?

vison, would that be OK with you? It's not mandatory; if you'd rather leave it here, that's fine. But people looking for discussions about books would look there (and nonmembers can read threads there but not here).

I won't do anything today in any case.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Aravar wrote:I don't find most of the Song of Ice and Fire characters annoying, only Sansa Stark. She cannot, really, be related to any of the others. It's some of the pointless plot meanderings that annoy me.
Maybe to me the annoying characters blend in to the annoying meanderings to annoy me beyond endurance.

And I used to find Sansa really annoying, now (A Dance With Dragons) she is beginning to become non-annoying. One of the few that is happening to.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

vison wrote:I have read only the first Harry Potter book but I have endured all the movies.
The films are fun. :D
If that Voldemort dude was SUCH a powerful wizard? Why the blankety-blankety-blank couldn't he make himself a nose?
Cuz he liked snakes! 8)