What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Inanna »

And which is why I predict that Frelga will love those even now, when she is not a teenager.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not a reflection on the quality of the story, just on my emotional availability for forming new attachments to fictional characters.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh... okay. Just enjoy it, eh? Don’t disappoint me. ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

There is no doubt in my mind that you will find yourself very attached to Miles. He is flawed and funny and awkward and clever and idiotic and brave and crippled and annoying and honourable.
You'll like him.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes'm. :)

I also started a series by Sherry Thomas, where Sherlock is a fictional brother invented by Charlotte Holmes so that she can make a living with her deductive talents. The first book is A Study in Scarlet Women. I think y'all would enjoy it.

Sadly, my library has book 3 but not 2.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It's a fabulous series! I recommended the Lady Sherlock series to Inanna about a year (?) ago as I recall. Charlotte is such an interesting case study of Asperger's IMO.

Last edited by Impenitent on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've recently finished The Daevabad Trilogy. It's fantasy inspired by the storytelling tradition of One Thousand and One Nights, mixed about with Ancient Egyptian gods and mythology, early Islam and the legends of the djinn.

Very entertaining!

I confess I found a lot to annoy me at first; the main characters are all very pretty and clever and brave and flawed, yet not at all sympatico. I couldn't sympathise with any of them not because of their flaws which are obviously meant to humanise them, but because they all sincerely believe themselves to be justly motivated and doing the best they can. It was irritating and I was often tempted to abandon the story.

But I couldn't. It's really well-written and pacy and compelling, and the mixture of magic, myth, legend so colourful and expansive, the annoying characters so enlivening, that I just had to keep going.

I don't know that I'll ever turn back to it but I can recommend it.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Finished Exit Strategy, and borrowed Network Effect. Murderbot continues to be awesome.
Impenitent wrote:It's a fabulous series! I recommended the Lady Sherlock series to Inanna about a year (?) ago as I recall. Charlotte is such an interesting case study of Asperger's IMO.

Oh. Maybe you turned me on to it.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Hey, what can I say. I like to share. :D

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m re-reading Network Effect now. Had Only read it once. And in prep for Fugitive Telemetry.

I love the Lady Sherlock series! I didn’t make the Asperger’s connection, Imp. Thanks! Similar, kind of, is the Lady Julia Grey series - I’ve enjoyed all Those too.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I re-read All Systems Red, but I really need to re-read the series. After Network Effect. And after I finish Shards of Honor.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Isn’t this early for you?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, I was taking a break from weird dreams. Although one featured a beautiful fall forest with piles of golden leaves like we don't get here. Nice to have a confirmation that I still dream in color.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Stormlight Archive. Sort of a guilty pleasure--mechanically, the writing is not great, but they're 1000-page books and I've been going through them in about 2 weeks each, so obviously doing something right.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree, Dave. They seem to have something even though I didn’t enjoy the writing. But yes, I read them all.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yes, Stormlight really suprised me because battle fantasy is usually a turnoff. I'll reread at some point.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I finished the Murderbot books. Delightful.

Also finished Shards of Honor and borrowed Barrayar.

Audiobooks double my reading capacity, and since I listen while doing chores, more chores get done.

Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I'm not sure when it happened; probably my late twenties, but I find, rather than reading one book, I have multiple books on the go at the same time. Also, my taste has changed. I remember roaring with laughter on reading the Discworld books. Now? A faint smile is the best I can muster.
I find myself reading "difficult" books now, especially books that have generated controversy and bans (Rushdie's "Midnight's Children" is one such).
So with that proviso, my current reading is:

Arda Reconstructed - Douglas Kane
Tell Me No Lies - Edited by John Pilger
The Kalevala (illustrated)
Russian Folk Tales - Nikolai Gogol
The Horror Stories of Robert E Howard
The Turner Diaries - William Pierce
Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment? - Michael Meiers
House of Cards - Michael Dobbs

No wonder my brain is so scrambled... :D
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I decided to read Scarlett Pimpernel, after hearing how it was the original masked hero story. I was impressed. It's a direct inspiration to everything from Zorro to Batman, but it's also a cracking tale in its own right. And yes, all the ingredients are there.

Sadly, my library has none of the sequels on ebook.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Irika started reading Harry Potter. She’s on book two, I picked up book one.

In just the first 2 pages I have chuckled twice. I had forgotten what a *splendid* writer Rowling is.