What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Crucifer, is that Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

Be ready—it's only half a story. Ends in midair. Many people really liked it and its "sequel," but I was too peeved to bother to buy another book.
Yes, and I'm expecting a sudden stop. I'm on chapter five, the fifth pilgrim, and five sevenths of the way through the book. If it ended after the Consuls story, I'd be very miffed. I'm going to start some book called The Hidden Worlds when I finish Hyperion. It arrived this morning, and I read the first page (exquisite), but I like to focus on one book at a time.

On Sunday week, I'm gonna read HP and the Philosophers Stone. Monday, Chamber of Secrets, and so on.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I read The Tombs of Atuan in one night. That's far too short of a book! I wasn't expecting it to be that quick of a read. It was enjoyable though quite different from A Wizard of Earthsea. On to The Farthest Shore.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I like these because the flavor of each is different. Le Guin is obviously not exploiting a formula; she's exploring a world.

I hope you can also get your hands on Tehanu, Eru (the fourth book in the Earthsea series). I love it (I seriously do). It seems an essential part of the story to me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I do have it and had thought it was the next book in the series. I looked up the order on Le Guin's website just in case and good thing I did.

I've been surprised at the jump in time from Tombs to The Farthest Shore. I'd like to know what happened in between Ged returning with the Ring and him being named Archmage.

Oh and the blurb on the back of Tombs totally gave most of the book away! It's one of the most spoilery blurbs I've seen.

I remember Iavas did comment that the synopsis on the back of your book gave away a lot of the story, but I assume that has to be done to an extent as you are a new author?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You're probably right, Eru—if I were an established writer, the blurb could be more general ("Another thrilling adventure from the author of Ant Men of Mercury and Star Rangers and the Vortex of Evil!").

I do hate a spoilery blurb, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I must re read the Earthsea quartet. I love it because, as Prim said, LeGuin is exploring her world, not chugging out rubbish that's all the same.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's a quintet now, Crucifer (The Other Wind), and there's also a collection of Earthsea short fiction (Tales from Earthsea). I don't consider either one essential reading, though; Other Wind was a letdown after the wonderful Tehanu.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I remember pointing that out elsewhere.

But I can't count The Other Wind as the same series. It is too different. I never finished it, actually.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I stop after Tehanu, too. Actually, it's been too long since I read the first three. . . .
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Like some others here, I loved Tehanu, but not The Other Wind, which just doesn't go as deep.

As I recall, The Other Wind also (oddly) shares its image of the Underworld (and its denouement) with Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass, and something about that echo took away from my pleasure in both cases.

Putting Tehanu in my "reread soon" pile, thanks to this discussion!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I actually preferred Other Wind to Tehanu. Something about Tehanu didn't quite work for me. But it's definitely worth reading. The Wizard of Earthsea is still my favorite, though, and I thought the ending was brilliant.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Tehanu is a harsh book. I like its honesty (and the, well, the thing that happens that I certainly thought was never going to happen).
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Wizard of Earthsea felt quite rushed to me. That kept me from enjoying it more.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I'm currently reading The Hidden Worlds, by someone called Primula Baggins. Apparently it's her first novel. I can't wait for her second. And third. And so on... :D :hug:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What a coincidence, Crucifer, I'm just beginning it myself. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Weird...

I guarantee that you will enjoy every letter of it.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I finished "Children of Men," which ruined my sleep for several nights when I kept thinking "just one more chapter...just one more chapter..."

Now I want to rent the movie.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

The movie is brilliant Wampus!! Let us know if you watch it I'd like to know what you think :)

I'm currently reading Laurell K. Hamiltons Blood Bones it's part of the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series.

Prim's book is next :)

Authors I enjoy are Roald Dahl, Laurell K. Hamilton, Phillipa Gregory, Dickens (thanks Holby), Christopher Moore etc etc.

I need to read Gaiman's Stardust since the movie is coming out too. So many books so little time.
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not reading anything right now. :) I'm just posting to say :wave: to themary.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

hi, themary!

I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for the movie of "Children of Men" at all. That shocked me because I had heard so many good things about the movie and had enjoyed the book so much.

I suspect I would have liked it much better if I hadn't read the book. My big problem was that they changed so very much. It was as if the screenwriter had read the blurb on the back cover and created his own story based only on that. So the basic situation was the same (no children, society in chaos, humanity's end in sight), but the characters and plot were entirely different. BookJulian, who was the young woman who miraculously became pregnant and was on the run with her husband, a priest, a midwife, and the hero (a historian!), became MovieJulian, who was the hero's ex-wife and underground rebel fighter. A different woman was pregnant. And I can't even begin to describe the differences in the plot. It wasn't a matter of condensing the novel, but of totally re-imagining it, using some of the same names.

That might have been fine except that I really liked the book. There were more elements that made me think, more explorations of the role of religion, more examination of the depression that smothered a society without hope. The characters were more thoughtful. I suppose those are things that are hard to translate to the screen, but I didn't think they'd be thrown out entirely.

Besides, knowing that there was a good movie of the book, I kept seeing its scenes in my mind as I read, translating them to film. I was really looking forward to some of them. All gone. :(

I'm glad you liked it, though.

I suspect that people who liked the movie and then decided to read the book were as put off as I was. Which is interesting, since the copy I bought had a picture from the movie on the cover.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup