Living in Both Worlds

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Living in Both Worlds

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Tolkien wrote:... those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power.
I have long had problems reconciling this statement within the context of the broader conception of Tolkien's "secondary universe" as expressed in the Silmarillion and related works. It seems to place Glorfindel and the other Noldorin exiles on a completely different plane that, if not quite inconsistent with the Silmarillion story, still does not quite jibe with it, at least to me.

Before I say any more, I would like to know what it means to people when Tolkien (through Gandalf) says that the Elves that came from Valinor "live in both worlds".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think it has to do with the fact that there was a subtle change in "the rules" after the Akallabêth. Not only was Aman removed physically from the circles of the world, but the condition of expressing the power derived from the presence of the Deathless dwelling there "tightened down" as well. Before the Fall of Númenor, it was possible to all intents and purposes for gods to walk the earth as they had in the days of the Trees. Afterwards, it wasn't. Whether this was a de facto or de jure change is up for debate, but the interaction between the Powers and Middle-earth became less direct. Generally this was a good thing.

For the elves who came over FROM Aman, though, that source of power was not entirely lost. The reflected light was still in their eyes and spirits. This would include Glorfindel, of course, but also Galadriel, and possibly lesser known Noldorin exiles like Gildor.
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with all that you say, Ax, but it still doesn't really explain what "both worlds" refer to. Do you mean to say that "both worlds" means "the world before it was changed" and "the world after it was changed"?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I agree with all that you say, Ax, but it still doesn't really explain what "both worlds" refer to. Do you mean to say that "both worlds" means "the world before it was changed" and "the world after it was changed"?

Both, in a way. It’s difficult to describe but a part of me has an intuitive understanding of the concept.

They obviously weren’t able to physically exist in both worlds at the same time … otherwise why would Galadriel seek redemption from the Valar which would enable her to go into the West?

My take is hard to describe .... it is something along the lines of the distinction between the spiritual and the corporeal. That is, as Ax said, those who dwelt in Aman before the world was bent always carried within themselves some aspect of it’s essence. In other words I suppose you could say that the Light of the Trees continued to bestow some spiritual power and blessing … which made them different from all those who had not seen the pure light.

Remember that once the Trees were destroyed and Fëanor spoke his awful oath, the world was then bent; hence the pure light of Valinor becomes refracted. Splintered. Split into many facets.

More later. This is a fascinating.

:)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

There are lots of holes connecting the two stories and many revisions.
The Sil was still very much being revised, and in reality it is a work that Christopher put out before it was fully ready.
LOTR was much amended and only the roots of the story truly connected with the Sil.
The Glorfindel character was just one of the many inconsistencies.
So to compare what was written in LOTR to what was written in the Sil is a flawed endeavor to start with.
Taking that line from just the Sil pov simplifies the problem.
The bodies of the Valar were rainment to them. Their true power needed no clothing and could be seen and I suppose somewhat shared by the Eldar who once lived in Valinor.
And by Tolkien saying living in both worlds, he is being a bit vague as to what he was referring to exactly.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. They are helpful in working out my thoughts. I will be back with some more questions later.
Sassafras wrote:They obviously weren’t able to physically exist in both worlds at the same time … otherwise why would Galadriel seek redemption from the Valar which would enable her to go into the West?

My take is hard to describe .... it is something along the lines of the distinction between the spiritual and the corporeal. That is, as Ax said, those who dwelt in Aman before the world was bent always carried within themselves some aspect of it’s essence. In other words I suppose you could say that the Light of the Trees continued to bestow some spiritual power and blessing … which made them different from all those who had not seen the pure light.

Remember that once the Trees were destroyed and Fëanor spoke his awful oath, the world was then bent; hence the pure light of Valinor becomes refracted. Splintered. Split into many facets.

More later. This is a fascinating.

:)
I see that we are very much questing in the same direction, Sass! I look forward greatly to continuing to quest together. :hug:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's implied in TTT that Legolas, a Sinda who has never left Endor, can see as if the world were still flat, that is, beyond the horizon. Physically this is of course unlikely. Spiritually, however, it reminds me much of Wm. Blake's writing, in which the world is infinite and flat and we only perceive it as round and finite because of our fallen nature (of course, his idea of "fallen" is not orthodox, but hey, that's Blake :) ).

I think that elves in general, and those who have been to Aman in the time of the Trees in particular, and who hear more of the music of the Ainur, and the voice of Ulmo in the waters, et al...perceive a reality that is mappable to ours, but distinct. To some extent it's a matter of superior senses, but in others it's a matter of being in a world that's unchanged from its original configuration. Thus the ability to sail west in a straight line, a la Wile Coyote without the comuppance. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

It's implied in TTT that Legolas, a Sinda who has never left Endor, can see as if the world were still flat, that is, beyond the horizon.
I must say, I never really made this connection with Legolas' long sight, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

In thinking about this, I also want to consider this idea of the "Seen and Unseen" and the whole conception of the "undead", both in terms of the Ringwraiths and the Dead Men in the Paths of the Dead (and perhaps even the shades of Men and Elves and Orcs in the Dead Marshes), and how that conception can (or can't) be harmonized with the primary ideas in the Silmarillion works regarding Ilúvatar's control over the fate of his "Children" (Elves and Men) and the whole idea of Death as the Gift to Men. I know we have touched on this before, but it is certainly worth exploring further.
Sassafras

Re: Living in Both Worlds

Post by Sassafras »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Tolkien wrote:... those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power.
I have long had problems reconciling this statement within the context of the broader conception of Tolkien's "secondary universe" as expressed in the Silmarillion and related works. It seems to place Glorfindel and the other Noldorin exiles on a completely different plane that, if not quite inconsistent with the Silmarillion story, still does not quite jibe with it, at least to me.

Before I say any more, I would like to know what it means to people when Tolkien (through Gandalf) says that the Elves that came from Valinor "live in both worlds".
They are on a different plane! For the world is changed since the destruction of the Trees.

This much is clear: Tolkien used Light and Dark as both a literal and metaphorical manifestation of Good and Evil.

By the time we arrive at the Third Age there are really only isolated pockets of Light remaining in the world of Middle-earth. The Calaquendi who stayed behind; within those few remaining souls are but small reflections of the holy Light oasis-like against the ever-encroaching darkness of Sauron .... threatening to swallow and lay waste to all that is good in Middle-earth. To consume and utterly change, as Morgoth once changed the Light of Aman.

The circles of the world: The planes of existence within Arda.

Once the Trees are destroyed the Light is altered: It is no longer pure because the quality of that Light has been mitigated by evil. Morgoth and Ungoliant have infected and poisoned what was perfection and thus the Light has splintered into many hues and is become less than it was. It has been forever compromised.

(in a lesser way this is repeated by Saruman the White as he becomes Saruman of many colours when the purity of his original maia spirit is compromised and tainted by his own inner darkness)

…As the paradise of Genesis is shattered by the serpent …

Seas are bent and the holy place of Valinor is removed from the world. There are at least two circles within the world … and upon reflection there are divisions within the division ….. the exoteric, or outer, circle which is the corporeal world of Middle-Earth and the esoteric, or inner, circle which is Aman. It is the esoteric which draws my attention for, as I see it, it contains dual realities within itself ...... existing at the same time and in the same space. The reality of Valinor which is good, and was once represented by pure white light of the Trees and the other reality which is represented by the Dark (Morgoth) and is defined by defilement …..... by the absence of light.

With his last failing senses Frodo heard cries, and it seemed to him that beyond the Riders that hesitated on the shore, a shining figure of white light; and behind it ran small shadowy forms waving flames, that flared red in the grey mist that was falling over the world.

Frodo, now himself transitioning from one world to the other sees Glorfindel as he really is:

I thought I saw a white figure that shone and did not grow dim like the others…..”

Yes you saw him for a moment as he is upon the other side; one of the mighty of the Firstborn

In a way, those Calaquendi who once had seen and absorbed the blessed Light of Aman are somehow able to co-exist within the ethereal world of the purely spiritual ... an astral plane you might say (with apologies to Mme Blavatsky :D) and at the same time inhabit the corporeal world of physical Middle-earth. One could say that when Frodo saw the shining white figure on the banks of the Ford, he was seeing the soul, the pure essence of Glorfindel as it would have been in Aman. And because he (Frodo) was fading into the world of shadows he was also able to perceive the pure essence of the Nazgûl ....

He could see them clearly now: they appeared to have cast aside their hoods and black cloaks, and they were robed in white and grey. Swords were naked in their pale hands; helms were on their heads. Their cold eyes glittered, and they called to him with fell voices.

<The Ring also gave him this ability to perceive 'the dark other side'>

For is not the world of wraiths but the other side of the coin? It is Morgoth’s black to the Eru’s, and by extension the Valar’s, white. Both are the nominal absence of colour. The Two absolutes. Absolute good and absolute evil.

However, it would seem, that in a slightly dissimilar way, unlike the Nazgûl and those of the Wraith world, the ones who have seen the Light of Telperion and Laurelin cannot physically inhabit both worlds simultaneously otherwise there surely would be no ships required to sail the straight line West to Elvenhome? The apparent fact that Wraiths are able to exist on both astral and physical plane at the same time suggests to me a corruption of the original soul. It has stretched unto fading and all that remains is shadow: such souls as the Barrow-wights or the Nine once had, have been spread thin and have since disintegrated under the weight of the dark of Mordor. Whereas the Calaquendi, those few whose spirits still shine in the isolation of Rivendell, Lothlórien and the Havens , unto whom is also given the ability to exist at once on both spiritual and earthly planes, have absorbed the blessing of the Light and so contain its purity within themselves and reflect it for those with eyes to see.

Now where the Army of the Dead fit into this I am not quite sure. But it would seem that their departure from the circles of the world, the gift given to men is held in abeyance by some authority ......... until the conditions of the oath is met and fulfilled. Once it is, their ability to depart Middle-earth is restored (by Eru? Mandos through Eru?)

<Which leads me back into the conundrum of the immense magical properties of the great oaths sworn!

And that is a whole other topic :D ....... albeit an equally fascinating one ....... for it would seem that within the boundaries of Tolkien’s universe there is an immutable law which inextricably binds all those who swear such frightful oaths. One need only think of Gollum as well as Fëanor and the Noldor>

I‘m not at all sure that I have explained myself very well … there’s more to say but I can’t quite arrange the words in the right order :x ......... so I don’t think I’ve really answered your question, Voronwë. This is just my take: that although those Elves could not occupy both Aman and Middle-earth simultaneously ....... they could, and did, carry within themselves a small spark of the original Light …. And those remments of the Light bequeth another, higher, plane of existence. Hence they lived in both worlds and had power against the unseen dark things which live in the realm of shadow.
Voronwë the Faithful

Great, great post, Sassy! :love:
However, it would seem, that in a slightly dissimilar way, unlike the Nazgûl and those of the Wraith world, the ones who have seen the Light of Telperion and Laurelin cannot physically inhabit both worlds simultaneously otherwise there surely would be no ships required to sail the straight line West to Elvenhome?
This is very much the question that I was trying to get at. Thanks for spelling it out so much clearer then I did.

There is much more to say, and no time to say it now. But I'll be back.

You can be sure of it. :D
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

it would seem that within the boundaries of Tolkien’s universe there is an immutable law which inextricably binds all those who swear such frightful oaths. One need only think of Gollum as well as Fëanor and the Noldor
I would actually posit that those who take such oaths, and keep to them despite all decency, destroy themselves...and those who take such oaths only for expediency already have. The law at work is that of cause and effect: let an oath poison your thoughts and actions, and things turn out badly. Take an oath in duplicity, and that duplicity will catch up with you.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm experiencing a deja vu! :shock:

I agree with Sass and reading her post brings echoes of one of mine in the Books forum of old. I wish it were possible to Search for such things as I never say them near as well the second time.

However...my addition to Sass' post (IMO):

Frodo's entry to the astral plane (and as Sassy said, it is both the shadow world of the wraiths and the purity of Light of Aman) in consequence of both the Nazgûl knife wound and the wearing of the Ring, is yet another reason that he could not longer remain in Middle Earth - because Frodo's very nature, the essence of him, was forever and immutably changed. He was no longer fully of Hobbit-kind; for hobbit-kind do not have a fëa which is anchored to this world but instead is released outside the circles of Arda.

Frodo, through this long journey of the spirit becomes Other, truly, not just metaphorically. I have always found it inspiring that, not only does he grow beyond and outside his nature, but that he finds a way to purity, away from the shadow even though it was the shadow which literally drew him into the spirit plane.

Frodo becomes " like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can." All the dross of the spirit is burned off through his travails and in the spirit world he is pure. And because this is against his nature, against the natural order of Hobbit-kind, it changes him physically too - and thus he must go to Aman.

I have always thought that the idea that Frodo must go to Aman to be finally fully healed of his physical and emotional wounds was only a very small part of the story; the "easy" part of the story - because the spiritual change of the most dramatic order was so difficult to explain. Frodo must go to Aman because only there will he be with his own kind - with those who dwell both in the spiritual and in the physical plane.

And even there he will be alone - not even Bilbo is like him in this.

This metaphysical aspect of the story has always fascinated me. :) I dwell on it; it is ineffable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

IMPY!!!!!!!!111 :hug:

I don't know how well you said it the first time, but I can't really imagine it being any better then the second time.

That was very well said, my friend. :love:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Hmm. I kinda thought that Bilbo and Frodo would be "fixed" in Aman, and then allowed to pass beyond the circles of the world in peace. But I think you have his situation dead to rights, Impy. The Morgul-wound and the ring-craving would always pull him towards a "place" he could never actually go otherwise...and although he managed his altered state as well as any mortal might, making into one of near-sanctity, it was still an altered state, and not meant for a hobbit in Endor.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Is this the thread, Impy?

Choosing a mortal life: life, death and who has the choice

I can't offer any wisdom to this profound discussion, so carry on.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Narya (my dear Laurie :) ) that doesn't have the discussion I was referring to, although it is one I really enjoyed. :)

It may have been in the very, very long Frodo's kitchen thread.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

...which needs to be indexed so we can find such jewels when called for.

I'm on it ;)
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

<I would very much like to read your original post, Imp. Do you remember the thread title?>

Imp wrote:
Frodo, through this long journey of the spirit becomes Other, truly, not just metaphorically
You are quite right of course, Imp. And, conversely, it occurs to me that Gollum is also growing towards 'Other' only for him it is a continuation of the journey towards the Dark and in the end he is consumed by it.

'Don't kill us,' he wept. 'Don't hurt us with nassty cruel steel! Let us live, yes, live a little longer. Lost, lost! We're lost. And when Precious goes we'll die, yes, die into the dust.' He clawed at the ashes of the path with his long fleshless fingers. 'Dusst!' he hissed.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Sass, went over to Books and tried some searches with no luck - I can't remember the thread.

I might sift through Sirocco's Best Books Threads listing and see if I have any luck.

Yes, Gollum is Frodo viewed through a mirror darkly. His transformation is a diminishment, both in spirit and in substance.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I just spent a delicious hour reading thru old threads that just dazzled me with their spirit. One of them might be the one you were thinking of, Imp/Novice. If not, they are still worth reading and pertinent to this discussion. I especially liked:

The secret of Frodo's inner strength
Frodo ~ And he lived happily ever after...
Frodo and the Ring
Why exactly is Frodo suffering at the end of LOTR?

Of course, I'm a Frodophile. :P