STRIKE!

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Faramond

STRIKE!

Post by Faramond »

HEY HEY
HO HO

( something inaudible I can't hear )

got to GO!

Here I sit in my Tower, looking down on a group of strikers. They're actually protesting some company in the building right next to us, but as my window faces them, I'm getting an earful of the chanting and whistling and all.

They lose points for having stupid signs. It's hard to tell who they're protesting, or what the grievance is. Though I suppose the target knows exactly what they're pissed about. As near as I can tell it's a carpenter's union, and they're mad at some company called "Schwebel".

I've heard other people in the office saying the police should be called, though I'm not sure what law they're breaking. Others think they aren't likely to keep this up for long, that they're not motivated. I rather doubt that, though.

Now they're singing "na na na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye".

So, what does everyone think of unions, and noisy strikers?

All I think at the moment is that it's rather hard to concentrate on work with all this noise.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

You should see South African strikers :D

If this was a South African strike, they would be dancing the toyi-toyi, and eventually they would start smashing up nearby cars, or dumbing out garbage bins! There's a reason your car policy says "Not covered for damage due to strikes or acts of God."

What do I think of unions? Neccesary, but like all neccesary structures, also abused to some extent by the brand of human who thinks they should always try to pry out an advantage and screw over their fellow humans.

Strikes? You need some sort of telling your employer he's not playing fair ball. But again, possible to exploit it.

I wish everybody would be brought up with manners, consideration and a good work ethic ( and general ethic! ) That would help all these matters ;)

PS: I had a struggle posting this, since I am also IMing an Afrikaans friend, and switching between languages so fast make my brain hurt :P

PPS: I can hear them sing from here, and our home is a block or so away from Faramond's work :shock:
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

You can hear them from THERE?

Well, as I walked by the receptionist on my way back from the loo I heard her calling the police about the noise.

So we'll see what happens.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The first rule of politics: never (puerile term) over the uninvolved. Which, by annoying people not connected to their greivances, they're doing.

It's not only unethical, it disposes the general populace against you, in time.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Time for some updates!

1. The building next door is being repainted by non-union labor. Hence the strike by Carpenters Local 1506. There are at least 20 strikers, by the way.

2. A police car showed up. It appears, from the tower, that there was a polite conversation between officer and union leader. The police officer is now gone, without incident.

3. The strikers are still there, but are now quiet.

edit:

After some thought: I suppose it's a demonstration or protest, not a strike. But "Demonstration!" isn't a very exciting thread title.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I walked down to the market to go and get some stuff, and I walked by. They were still making noise when I walked by on my way to the market!

Ax - that's a very good rule, in general. However, in South Africa the general tendency is to intimidate the uninvolved into silence and passiveness, thus furthering your own cause.

When the security guard union here went on strike, they killed security guards not involved with them, often by beating them up and throwing them from moving trains to kill them. They also held protest marches during which they looted, smashed cars and threw garbage from bins.

And they did this for months without resolution.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Griffon64 wrote: When the security guard union here went on strike, they killed security guards not involved with them, often by beating them up and throwing them from moving trains to kill them.
Ah, but anyone who wasn't with them must be against them, and therefore involved, right?

Second rule: Never be with anyone who says "you're either with me or against me." That's not politics, that's personal loyalty. Oaths of fealty went out with feudalism.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

axordil wrote:
Griffon64 wrote: When the security guard union here went on strike, they killed security guards not involved with them, often by beating them up and throwing them from moving trains to kill them.
Ah, but anyone who wasn't with them must be against them, and therefore involved, right?

Second rule: Never be with anyone who says "you're either with me or against me." That's not politics, that's personal loyalty. Oaths of fealty went out with feudalism.
I agree completely.

I was writing from a more moderate POV than these guys normally hold ;)
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

When I came back from lunch the picketers were gone.

Perhaps they'll be back tomorrow, perhaps not.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Maybe they merely went to lunch themselves :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Griffon64 wrote:When the security guard union here went on strike, they killed security guards not involved with them, often by beating them up and throwing them from moving trains to kill them. They also held protest marches during which they looted, smashed cars and threw garbage from bins.

And they did this for months without resolution.
:shock:

And they call it a strike in South Africa? Over here, it's called a riot.

The car dealership where I have my car services was on strike for a few months. The story was that the dealership got rid of the union mechanics and replaced them with inexperienced, apprentice-level personnel. That must have been true, because the one non-union guy I dealt with (sent my car to the shop before the strike started) looked about 15. They picketed the dealership, but vewwy vewwy quietly, handed out leaflets, did not interfere with any customers going into the shop. I supported them - I don't want my car worked on by a kid, my son rides in it.

In general - there are all sorts of unions, I suppose. I think they serve an important role as a counterweight to the unlimited power of a large business over the employees. Perfect they are not, but then what is? In the best-case scenario, the business owner benefits as well. Especially when the unionized workers must be highly skilled, union takes care of of training and a sort of quality control for the employees. DH works for an engineering company that employs union labor, and during the slow times the union took care of the laid off workers and sent people back when the business picked up. At worst, unions can create an entitlement for the incompetent. In extremes cases, the interfere with Faramond's work. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

In extremes cases, the interfere with Faramond's work.
Well, that's nothing special, we do that all the time. :D
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

They didn't interfere with my work that much. Writing a post about them certainly interfered more than they did! :D

And what Ax said.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Griffon64 wrote:\If this was a South African strike, they would be dancing the toyi-toyi, and eventually they would start smashing up nearby cars, or dumbing out garbage bins!
An Indonesian lecturer of mine told me that's how they celebrate Labour Day in Jakarta, although it also involves the burning of buildings.