Trump Indicted by Manhattan District Attorney

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump Indicted by Manhattan District Attorney

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Donald Trump has sued Judge Merchan in an effort to delay or move the trial.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:12 pm This is the case summary that Judge Merchan plans to give to prospective jurors:
PEOPLE, V. DONALD TRUMP
CASE SUMMARY
'The Defendant, Donald Trump, is charged with 34 counts of Falsifying Business Records in the First Degree. The allegations are in substance, that Donald Trump falsified business records to conceal an agreement with others to unlawfully influence the 2016 presidential election. Specifically, it is alleged that Donald Trump made or caused false business records to hide the true nature of payments made to Michael Cohen, by characterizing them as payment for legal services rendered pursuant to a retainer agreement. The People allege that in fact, the payments were intended to reimburse Michael Cohen for money he paid to Stephanie Clifford, also known as Stormy Daniels, in the weeks before the presidential election to prevent her from publicly revealing details about a past sexual encounter with Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has pleaded not guilty and denies the allegations.
In other words, election interference, part 1.
Pithy!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The judge said that since the parties could not agree on a summary, he would write his own. I am quite sure that the D.A. is happier with it than the Trump team.

Meanwhile, Trump is making a last-ditch effort to get the appellate court to delay the trial. That will fail, I'm sure.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

So much winning! (To be clear, this is different than the one that I posted yesterday. That one was related to his attempt to delay the case by trying to get a venue transfer.)
Voronwë the Faithful

This made me laugh out loud.

Among those Avenatti was convicted of defrauding wad Stormy Daniels.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is very well said by Judge Merchan.

Voronwë the Faithful

Monday is going to be even more interesting, now.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Or more frustrating.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

True. I doubt the judge will do anything more than give Trump a warning because he doesn't want to delay the trial.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Jury selection in this trial begins today. This morning, New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman posted this from the courtroom:

"Trump appears to be sleeping. His head keeps dropping down and his mouth goes slack."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm Jury selection in this trial begins today. This morning, New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman posted this from the courtroom:

"Trump appears to be sleeping. His head keeps dropping down and his mouth goes slack."
One cannot help but wonder if he's on some sort of sedative (or something) to prevent outbursts??
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm Jury selection in this trial begins today. This morning, New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman posted this from the courtroom:

One cannot help but wonder if he's on some sort of sedative (or something) to prevent outbursts??
As president, Donald Trump was notorious for not arriving in the Oval Office until 11 a.m. or later. As a night owl myself, for once I can sympathize with him!
Voronwë the Faithful

The judge declined to rule on the violations of the gag order, instead, setting a hearing for 4/24 on that issue. But of course, that will just encourage Trump to keep violating the gag order in the meanwhile.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 pm One cannot help but wonder if he's on some sort of sedative (or something) to prevent outbursts??
Donald Trump is reported to have been more animated in the courtroom when the trial resumed after lunch. And I gather that one can officialy says that he is "on trial" now because jurors have been sworn (to start the voir dire process).

"You'd think having your company lose almost 20% of its value in a single day (again) would be enough to keep someone awake."

To be fair, Truth Social stock has rebounded a little over the past couple hours and is only down 17% for the day now. But it's down about 65% from its peak of $74.79 three weeks ago. Still, a pre-planned sale of additional shares -- which was contingent on the stock remaining above $17.50 for 20 straight days -- is imminent and could add another $1.5 billion to Trump's pockets.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Of the 96 jurors initially sworn, 50 have already been dismissed because they said they could not be fair and impartial.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm Of the 96 jurors initially sworn, 50 have already been dismissed because they said they could not be fair and impartial.
I don't know that I could be fair & impartial. If I'd been on juries before I might feel differently, but I've never had to serve so I just don't know.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful

Quite good progress, all things considered.

Meanwhile,

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Some 15-20 years ago, I was a regular reader of blogs by a number of medievalist professors, whose writing came to my attention through Tolkien connections. Some like Michael Drout and Scott Nokes blogged under their own names. A number of others used pseudonyms. On one occasion, one of these folks, who identity was then unknown to me, explained that they blogged under an alternate name because they weren't tenured yet and didn't want their prospects affected by colleagues judging their personal writings. After reading that, I spent two minutes rereading some of their earlier posts, googled a few phrases, and then sent an email to the person explaining that -- while my lips were sealed -- if they really wanted to keep their identity a secret, then they needed to do a better job eliding relevant details. (And then about a month later I found myself standing a few feet from this person at the annual medieval conference in Kalamazoo. We were both wearing nametags. So awkward.)

And here's why I'm mentioning that.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 pm "You'd think having your company lose almost 20% of its value in a single day (again) would be enough to keep someone awake."

To be fair, Truth Social stock has rebounded a little over the past couple hours and is only down 17% for the day now. But it's down about 65% from its peak of $74.79 three weeks ago. Still, a pre-planned sale of additional shares -- which was contingent on the stock remaining above $17.50 for 20 straight days -- is imminent and could add another $1.5 billion to Trump's pockets.
Truth Social stock dropped another 13% today and closed at $22.75 per share.