The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I get a "sorry that page does not exist" message when I click on the clink. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

It seems that every link in this thread leads nowhere. Sort of like the Dol Guldur plotline in AUJ!
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

I'm not sure what the problem was there - but here's the image my friend took at Wellington Airport yesterday:

Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, awesome! Thanks, Sam!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Given that the "Thrain the Broken" figure has not been recalled (as Bolg was), and Philippa's strong public statements, in reference to DOS, regarding the fleshing out of the Thrain backstory, I would imagine that we will see Thrain at the beginning of DOS, and this imdb guy may have forgotten...

He sounds like he doesn't know much (if anything) about Tolkien, so he may have been confused.

I just don't think it's likely that PJ would open one of these films with a pure talking scene in Bree.

There must be a flashback within the flashback, no?
Voronwë the Faithful

Good chance of it. On the other hand, it does seem to be a big thing to completely forget, and he has been pretty detailed in his answers. We'll see.

He is, so far as I know, the only person that has revealed any details. Hopefully we'll get some more solid info in the next few days (I know Telemachos at TORC is going to see it early again, but not until next Tuesday.)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll be seeing it next Tuesday also, and will be willing to spill the beans on anything not already covered,
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

This ad popped up next to my Facebook feed. Finally! Something besides shoe ads!

A cute playhouse: http://www.hobbithole.us/

The interesting disclaimer at the bottom of the page is:
HOBBIT is a trademark owned by The Saul Zaentz Company and is used under license by Wooden Wonders
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The postman just delivered my Weta Chronicles: DoS Art and Design... :woohoo:

Shame I have to go out to work for the next 3 hours and can't look at it! :(

Have just peek inside at the costume designs and it's gorgeous!!!

Also noticed advance publicity for the next volume, which will be green, and is intriguingly entitled DoS: Cloaks & Daggers!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT ANNOUNCES THE HOBBIT: OFFICIAL VISUAL COMPANION APP

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has announced an app companion to the latest Peter Jackson Middle-earth film, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.” From the looks of things, HMH means for this to be an immerse and interactive version of the film books. Jude Fisher provides text and many of the images are 3D and interactive. The official press release can be read in the link above.

The app is produced by the United Kingdom publisher of Tolkien’s work, Harper Collins UK in conjunction with Warner Bros. and developed by Ardman Digital.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting, a book all about the creation of one character.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/01 ... mazon-com/
Passdagas the Brown

I clicked on that link expecting a book about the creation of the inimitable Alfrid, and to my surprise it was all about Smaug!
Voronwë the Faithful

:cannotpass:
Passdagas the Brown

Oooh, me likey!

Now all we need is a dwarves in barrels emoticon to represent the complicated emotion "Holy c%^p! Wait, this is ridiculous. And so much fun! And look, Legolas!"
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Where?!!!????
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Ahh, this is what I've been waiting for. Second row down. There's spots for all of them in the living room. http://www.unitedcutlery.com/Category.aspx?cat=HB
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That sword of Thranduil is absolutely beautiful....looks like there's a story behind it, too - the product description says that it
was one of two twin swords crafted for Thranduil by the finest smiths of the Woodland Realm. The blade and flowing hilt are forged with engraved vine and leaf symbols representing the forests of the Greenwood, all forged from a single piece of silver Elven steel
I wonder what happened to the other...
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Was lucky enough to get Dwalins double axes at 50% off and also picked up the bow and arrow of a certain Elvish young lady with healing powers.

I was hoping for an orc bow and arrow to go next to it but they seem to only want to produce the hero weapons - with the exception of the Azog mace which is a bit too bulky for my tastes.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

They do offer the Morgul Blade, as well... Image
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

:cannotpass: