Movies so good you never have/want to see them again

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Ah, but the two are inexorably connected. The only way a society can survive amidst more powerful neighbors is to inculcate a huge-ass chip on its collective shoulder. :D Look at the book of Genesis: one story after another where the younger, weaker, less favored sibling manages to prevail through cunning and/or divine intervention.
samwarg

Reign on me

Post by samwarg »

We saw this movie last weekend. I think It's safe to say that Adam Sandler is capable of being a first class actor, and his performance in this movie bears that out. It's definately a tear-jerker and will touch the emotions of many people. I can't remember the black actor's name that plays opposite Sandler(I think he was in "Hotel Rwanda") but he is an outstanding actor. It's a great movie but I probably won't want to watch it again when it comes out on video. I reserve that for movies that give me pleasure like "Chronicals of Narnia" and our favorite, "Lord of the Rings".
still trying to get it right
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Took me a while to spot "Reign on me" in the subject. Is that the movie you're referring to Sam?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
samwarg

Reign on me

Post by samwarg »

That's correct, Al. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I believe that the correct title of the film is actually "Reign Over Me". And the name of the actor that you were looking for is Don Cheadle; he is in fact an excellent actor.

Sam, I'm glad to hear that you were impressed with Sandler's acting in this film. I was interested to see how he would handle a more serious role. I read somewhere that he had initially turned down this movie, saying that he thought someone like Daniel Day Lewis should take the role, but that he changed his mind and took it on after all.

Interestingly, I'm just the opposite of you. I only go see the movies that I am really interested in (like the LOTR films) in the theatres. The rest I wait and rent on DVD. I'll definitely be checking this one out, eventually.

Am I correct in understanding that Liv Tyler has a role in this film?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
samwarg

Reign over me

Post by samwarg »

You are probably correct about the title, Voronwë. I'm having more and more senior moments lately and can't remember names and titles especially, but Adam Sandler has recently had a few other fairly serious roles in which I thought he did very well. I'm no authority on such things, but I'd say Sandler was perfect for this role in "Reign Over Me"..
As for my movie-going habits, it has been a Sunday afternoon thing to do at my house for quite a while now, so I always have to pick the best and most suitable movie for us (that would be my wife and I, my fifteen year old son and his girlfriend) to watch. They make me pick everything. Luckily, our tastes are similar.
Some movies need to be seen on the big screen, but "Reign Over Me" will be just as effective on a smaller screen, so I believe.
melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

Howdy there Sam!!! :hug: Great to "see" you again!!

I'm like you, Voronwë, I only see movies that I like on the big screen, and those I usually see over again. If a film is good, why not enjoy yourself again??? I guess it really depends upon your defination of "good".

Meli
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
Voronwë the Faithful

True enough, Meli. :) With movies, as in everything, "good" is in the eyes of the beholder.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
samwarg

Meli!

Post by samwarg »

Well I'll be a horn-squabbled mule! Are you Meli from LA? If you are, I hope you didn't trace me here by all my old geezer parts that keep falling off. Say, that fellow with the sword looks kinda familiar. Didn't he used to hang out with a lot of short people? Movies? Are we talking about movies? Yeah, I like those, especially the good ones.
melianndoriath

Re: Meli!

Post by melianndoriath »

[quote="samwarg"]Well I'll be a horn-squabbled mule! Are you Meli from LA? If you are, I hope you didn't trace me here by all my old geezer parts that keep falling off. Say, that fellow with the sword looks kinda familiar. Didn't he used to hang out with a lot of short people? quote]

Yes, Sam it's me,Shieldmaiden Meli, directly from LA. I've been following your motorcycle tracks to this lovely place. Thought I'd check it out a bit. As for the sword-totin' fella with me, he likes short people (especially ones with short, curly brown hair and blue eyes from LA) :love:

He's in movies that I love to see over and over again. That's what I like to do with good movies and books. It seems as if my appreciation grows with my familiarity with them.

Meli
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Meli, you and I are going to get along juuuust fiiiine. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
samwarg

meli from la

Post by samwarg »

I'll bet you will get along fine with Meli, Primula, especially if you like to talk about scruffy rangers. You could say that she has a "thang" for them.

My new thingy is a picture of a Hong Kong fruit market that I took in December of 1972. I took it with my brand new Mamiya/Sekor 35 mm slr that I'd just bought and it was one of those rare photos that actually came out looking good. I was off the aircraft carrier USS Ranger and we were on Christmas break from Vietnam at the time.
melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

I feel the sisterhood bond, Primula. Great minds think alike, you know. :D

Really like that pic, Sam. It has an "exotic" feel to it. Did you gbuy any oranges????

Reminds me of the movie A Cloclwork Orange, though I was just a young thing back then.
samwarg

buy oranges?

Post by samwarg »

No, I didn't buy any oranges, Meli. I did get hungry and go to a strange restaraunt, though. I didn't know my WWII history very well at the time and went, of all places, to the "Yamato" Japanese restaraunt. Why on earth I went to Hong Kong and then chose an inappropriately-named (for an American service man) Japanese restaraunt, I have no idea. Maybe it was that Tiger beer I'd been drinking, heck I don't know.
"A Clockwork Orange" was the first hard "R" or "x-rated" movie I ever went to in a regular theatre. At the time I thought it was hip and deep and groovy and all that stuff, but when I watch it now it seems corny and silly. The naked women still look nice, though. My fifteen year-old son scolds me for still having an eye for the women, but I've told him that he'd better check my pulse if I ever stop looking at them because I've probably expired!
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Napoleon Dynomite. That was one weird movie that I will never watch again. But I'm glad I did, because now I know what's with the tots and who to vote for and that llama out in the back.....:D

I remember watching Clockwork Orange and thinking I'd never want to see it again...but I forgot quite a bit of it, including the naked women...but hearing that it turns corny at the second viewing, I'll probably skip it. ;)

:llama:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
samwarg

Catch 22

Post by samwarg »

Another movie I saw around the same time as "Clockwork" was "Catch 22". I also thought it was full of deep meaning that I didn't fully understand when I watched it as a twenty-something young fellow. I watched it again the other day and decided its' message wasn't very deep at all. Steeped in satire, the message is simply "war is insane". I think its' entertainment value is higher to me now than it was then, and it was fun to see all the then young actors like Alan Arkin, Bob Newhart, John Voigt, etc. I'll never forget the naked Ussarian standing in ranks and receiving a medal from Orson Welles for bombing the ocean.
Perhaps the most significant achievement of that movie, however, was its' giving birth to the phrase "catch 22", which I had never heard before. Now that phrase is a common part of the English language.
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, I think you'd have to give credit to Joseph Heller's novel for giving birth to that phrase. :)
samwarg

Heller's book

Post by samwarg »

Well of course you're right, Voronwë, but the movie version did the same thing for "Catch 22" that PJ's movies did for LotR. I don't know that I would ever have read Heller's book.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's true that movies have a much broader pop-cultural reach than books!

I remember at the time the LotR films came out that some people, purists and others, were concerned that the PJ version of LotR would supersede Tolkien's actual tale in the public imagination. That came back to me the other day when I read a one-sentence summary of the book (in a forum on how to write book blurbs) that began, "Young Frodo Baggins. . . ."

Of course, he is young at the beginning of the book, but this is how his whole quest was described.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

But 50 is still young..... :blackeye:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed: