Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Was this your donation to Locks of Love, cem?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Yes, Prim, it was. :) I posted pictures on TOB of my new haircut. You'd love my new hairdresser. She donates all the hair she cuts to LoL.

Now back to jazz...
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Can't sleep so I thought I'd toss out a few listening suggestions.

Brian Bromberg is an excellent jazz/blues bassist. I haven't purchased anything by him, but the mp3s I've listened to are great.

Jack Brass Band is a mostly brass group that plays N'Orleans style. I'm, of course, rather partial being a brass player myself. Visit their website for some sound clips.

If you like your blues to be sung by a woman Cassandra Wilson is a more mainstream voice you'll be likely to find in stores. She can sing it!

I don't know if most people would consider bluegrass to be jazz, but that's where it got its roots. I like Bella Fleck for this catagory. Another fairly popular artist that shouldn't be too hard to locate.

V, have you heard of Sonny Stitt? He played tenor & alto sax. I "found" him because of a cover he did of a song called "Indiana". His style would definitely have been progressive and it's a shame that he died of cancer shortly after I was born. Would have loved to see how much farther he would grow.

Now for more of the "popular" stuff. Miles Davis was a very tormented man, but he definitely played some amazing music. I'm a fan of his earlier albums.

Louis Armstrong. Love him. He's not exactly the "jazz" sound I like, but he's always fun to listen to. My favourite song by Louis is the "Dummy Song"!

Earlier jazz "founders" Scott Joplin, George Gershwin, Benny Goodman (*swoon*), Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Billie Holliday, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, etc are all artists I enjoy listening to and would recommend. I always say that had I been in George Gershwin's time I'm almost certain we would have been soulmates. :)

Ok, that's it for now. :P
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Cem. :love:

(No, I've not heard of Sonny Stitt. I'll have to check him out sometime when I am in that mood.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

[osgiliating] Regarding rap - it's not music, exactly, but I think "rap artist" is exactly the right term, because there is a rather unique form of...artistry? Creativity? Something...in piecing together rhythmically clever raps. It doesn't have to be "music" to be amusing and entertaining and worthy of some...backhanded form of respect.

Signed,

An Eminem Fan of Five Years (yes, I realize what the lyrics say, and I'm still a fan) and a Newly Discovered Kinda Sorta Maybe Fan of Some of Kanye West's Stuff
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Nerdanel, why don't you start a separate thread about what you like about certain rap or hip-hop music (yes, music). I might even add some thoughts.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I would respond as well, nerdanel. I enjoy some Eminem & also Kanye West.

There really hasn't been any form of music I haven't been willing to try. I used to say I hated rap, but I never bothered to listen to it. Last few years have found me interested in some.

Same thing with opera, though in this case I didn't "hate" it, I just hadn't tried it.

:)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(Of course rap is music!!!)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Last osgiliating post and then I'll stop.

I'd be happy to write such a post, but it would focus so overwhelmingly on what I took from my experience as an Eminem fan that I'm not sure if it would be a good vehicle for discussion of rap/hip-hop generally speaking. I suppose I could do that, add a few observations (probably incorrect) on my perceptions of hip-hop more generally, and state some things I've found to appreciate or have reservations about re: hip-hop. If there would be interest in such a post. But it wouldn't happen today or tomorrow, at least.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

nerdanel, I think that any good discussion requires a large amount of personal experience and involvement. So I believe your thread will be a success. :)

(Nice to meet you, btw! :D)
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

yovargas wrote:(Of course rap is music!!!)
Depends on the definition of 'music', now doesn't it?

=:)

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

mu·sic Pronunciation Key (myzk)
n.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
(What's up with that Pronunciation Key? :scratch: )
-The Decemberists

cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I was inspired today by my lunch. :)

I noticed that several people had said that they preferred jazz that had a "melody" to it, which puzzled me, for as far as I'm concerned it all has a melody. Sometimes you just have to take a deeper look, or listen.

The most ambiguous definition of melody is "A pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds". So it would really depend on what you found pleasing.

As I was eating my salad I realized that jazz is quite compareable to salad. For some they'd prefer to not eat vegetables... ever. Others like a decent basic lettuce salad, while others prefer to have a mixed salad. Even beyond that some people eat so much salad & enjoy it that they can pick out the various types of greens in a certain salad, such as endive, arugula, chard, etc.

So it really all just comes down to taste! ;) :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It probably helps to be familiar with what's being played—I can't hear a melody under really complex variations if I don't know it to begin with.

In classical music, of course, they obligingly begin by playing the melody, and only then begin to take it apart. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

cemthinae wrote: However I'm not likely to participate in a thread where most people just pop in to post how much they dislike a particular subject.
LOL!
I started a thread that was explicitly meant as a tribute to Mozart, and still people just popped in to say they didn't like Mozart. Gotta live with that, you know. :P ;)
Seriously, though, tastes differ, and you can't forbid people to say if they don't like something, especially in a thread that asks "how do you like this or that?"
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

truehobbit wrote:
cemthinae wrote: However I'm not likely to participate in a thread where most people just pop in to post how much they dislike a particular subject.
LOL!
I started a thread that was explicitly meant as a tribute to Mozart, and still people just popped in to say they didn't like Mozart. Gotta live with that, you know. :P ;)
I didn't pop in only to say they I like Mozart. That was just a sidepoint. :blackeye:
-The Decemberists

Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

truehobbit wrote:I started a thread that was explicitly meant as a tribute to Mozart, and still people just popped in to say they didn't like Mozart. Gotta live with that, you know. :P ;)
I apologize and will refrain in the future.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Eru, hobby just said "Gotta live with that". She was telling cem that people just do that and it's OK. Which it is.

Please, for your own sake, don't be so quick to take things personally. :hug:
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

If I were to start a thread that was meant to a tribute to someone, I know I wouldn't be so happy if someone came into it and started explaining why they don't like that person. I didn't take hobby's statement personally. I'm thinking how I would have felt in her shoes and how that wouldn't be so nice. So the best thing to do is refrain in the future because that would be courteous.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I understand. Sorry!