So, I got a Piano...

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Funny thing, hobby—in English it's usually called "The Well-Tempered Clavier," not "Piano." You never hear the word "clavier" any other place, oddly enough.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Ah, ok - probably because the original instrument they were written for is not a proper piano, but something called a clavier (and German just retained the name, while English changed it) - but you knew which piece I meant, didn't you?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:You never hear the word "clavier" any other place, oddly enough.
Sure you do. After all, the clavier is the most commonly broken bone in the human body. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, yes, I knew which piece you meant. :love:

Because you teach English and your English is so amazing, a couple of times now I've taken the liberty of pointing out little odds and ends of idiom. I hope that's okay with you. I don't mean to seem to be "correcting" your English, which does not need correction. I've just been assuming you find the oddities of the English language as interesting as I do.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

It's absolutely okay, and I appreciate it if people help me not to repeat the same mistake and point out wrong usage or so - and, yes, the oddities are definitely interesting. :kiss:

I was just astonished there was no response to my continuing the joking about all our weak playing, that's why I asked - I guess I just caught the tail-end of the joke again, when it was already done with. Typical. :roll:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Photos as promised:

Fully open, with Music Stand folded out

Music Stand in, and top closed

Close up of Brass Candlestick holders and Inlay

Closed up.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Or more likely, people like me are petrified at the idea that Tom might actually carry out his threat and bring the keyboard. . . . :D

So, Alatar, when do we get to see a picture of your piano? :)

Edit: Cross-posted with the pictures. Thanks, Alatar! And it's a lovely, lovely piano.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:love:

It's a beauty, Alatar!

(Ok, I'm not sure inbuilt candlesticks do much for the sound, but they look so cute. :) )

Did you have the keys cleaned or renewed? I used to think those old ivory keys yellowed with time.

Edit: LOL, Prim, I'm sure your 'fudging' is quite lovely! :) Besides, wasn't it you who said you liked to hear even practising? That was good to hear! :D
Last edited by truehobbit on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Your piano is beautiful, Alatar! :bow:

Primula Baggins wrote:Or more likely, people like me are petrified at the idea that Tom might actually carry out his threat and bring the keyboard. . . . :D
Keyboard? I think that was Griff. I'd need a large truck and several burly men to haul my piano down for the moot. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sorry—guess I need my brain tuned a bit. . . . :D
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

truehobbit wrote:
If I have my keyboard by the time the m00t rolls round, maybe I should pack it up, bring it along, and we can have a little "un-talent" competition in somebody's hotel room
Aw, that makes me want to attend even more - a competition I'd have a good chance winning! :D
Not a chance, if I'm around - all I can play is "Let The Sunshine In" from Hair on one finger, if I even remember how that one went... :blackeye:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Rowanberry wrote:...all I can play is "Let The Sunshine In" from Hair on one finger, if I even remember how that one went... :blackeye:
Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

:D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

truehobbit wrote: (Ok, I'm not sure inbuilt candlesticks do much for the sound, but they look so cute. :) )

Did you have the keys cleaned or renewed? I used to think those old ivory keys yellowed with time.
I think the thing about the Candlestick holders is more that they are usually the first thing to be damaged. The fact that they are intact means the piano was well cared for. also, apparently they're worth a bit as genuine antiques. Makes me feel guilty for having it in the kids playroom, but thats the only place we have room for it.

The keys were'nt cleaned beyond the normal removing and dusting. I know he reamed some of the pivot holes for better action, but nothing with the ivory. He did comment on the quality of the Ivories. He said a new set of Ivories is really expensive, about €1100, but that these were in great shape. That said, I couldn't tell you if they're genuine Ivory or some sort of Enamel. I know the white stuff (whatever it is) was only a couple of millimeters thick on the key (whcih was mostly wooden). But that may be the same for Ivories or synthetic keys. It certainly wasn't plastic of any kind. I would say its either enamel or Ivory, but I really don't know enough to judge.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Not a chance, if I'm around - all I can play is "Let The Sunshine In" from Hair on one finger, if I even remember how that one went...
ROFL - oh, alright, I concede. :P ;) (Or we could have categories of lack of skill, like "worst performance with one finger only", "worst performance with one hand", "worst performance with two hands", "worst performance of something that could actually be called something requiring skill"... :D )

Alatar, couldn't you make room for it in the living room?
Though, when it's in the kids' room they might be more eager to play it. :)

Ah, true, maybe it's enamel, not ivory. Yes, the keys are always wood with a coating of something. Whatever a new set of ivory would cost, it would in any case be illegal. ;) (But maybe "Ivory" is just the generic name for the keys.)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ooh, nice piano! Will we get a chance to try it out at the Ireland m00t? :banana:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, Mrs Alatar did suggest that we have everyone over to our house for a Barbeque, weather permitting. I suppose it depends on the numbers.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Oh, how come I didn't even think of that?

Worst performer competition after all! :D
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

truehobbit wrote:Oh, how come I didn't even think of that?

Worst performer competition after all! :D
I'll do my best to lose that competition! :D

*runs off to practice*
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Lucky you, Alatar.

My sister played the piano and my Mum and Dad bought one for her, many long years ago. It looked very much like yours, but the candleholders were gone and the music holder was carved wood. It was held to have a lovely tone and was much admired. Real ivory, but like yours, ivory glued to wood, I think that's the way. I wonder if any piano had all-ivory keys?

Anyway, my sister Lindy played it until she left home and then for a long time it sat in my parents' house unplayed (except when Lindy visited). My brother's wife took it at last when she decided in her forties to take up playing the piano.

She painted it white.

Yes. She did.

I thought my Mum was going to faint.

So time passed and my niece learned piano and she got the old one, still painted white. As old beat-up pianos go it was pretty good, but my niece is now a very accomplished pianist and her parents just bought her a very nice new piano, made in Japan. The old one, still in its horrid white paint, is now a problem. My Mum wants me to take it and I suppose I might, it could go into the gassoons' playroom.

*sigh*

Maybe I'll mail it to you and you'll have one for parts?

Edited to add: I was at a funeral on Tuesday morning in a little church that was celebrating its 100th birthday. So I was sitting there waiting for the service to start and there was an old lady idly playing bits of Bach and what not on the old fashioned pump organ. I admired the lovely wood of the ceiling (red cedar, probably milled right on the site of the church 100 years ago), and wondering if there were any oldtimers in the area who knew that kind of thing.

The pastor came in and we all settled in our seats for the service to start and he asked the organist to play "In the Garden", and she didn't quite hear him and he had to say it louder. Then he turned to us and announced that the organist was 100 years old!!!!
Dig deeper.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Vison - take the piano. Take it. The white paint can be stripped away and the wood restored. The paint is only cosmetic - it's not the instrument! Have someone take a look at it and if the soundboard is intact, it may only need a good tuning and maybe a string or two replaced.

Great story about the organist! I hope, if I live to be 100, I am still making music! :D

PS: NO piano had all ivory keys - they are always glued to wood! Now the keys are made of a composite, but they are still called "ivories!"
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame