Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Trump is finally getting a new vote in Georgia.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful

And here we go. Time for a new thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

That is less people than had been expected. Waiting to see the details.

ETA:
Voronwë the Faithful

We might not have details for awhile.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:08 am ETA:
Ryan Goodman: "P.S.A. 10 indictments does not necessarily mean only 10 individuals charged."
That said: "While a cover page of the indictments handed to the judge indicated there were 10, it's likely that only one of those involved the Trump case."

We'll know soon enough, I guess. Wouldn't it be funny if Trump were not charged and this thread had to be renamed or reabsorbed back into the 2020 elections thread?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Earlier this evening, Marcy Wheeler (now asleep since it's very late/early in Ireland) wondered whether Cleta Mitchell, Rudy Giuliani, or Boris Epshteyn would be indicted in Georgia. Apparently only Giuliani of those three was? But so were some eighteen others? (Including Trump, so this thread stands.)

I'll leave it to V to post the links and such.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Giuliani, Meadows, Eastman, Powell, Ellis, and a bunch of other people were also indicted. They did the RICO (among other things).

DA Willis did not come to play.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the full list of the defendants:

Donald Trump, former US president

Rudy Giuliani, Trump lawyer

Mark Meadows, White House chief of staff

John Eastman, Trump lawyer

Kenneth Chesebro, pro-Trump lawyer

Jeffrey Clark, top Justice Department official

Jenna Ellis, Trump campaign lawyer

Robert Cheeley, lawyer who promoted fraud claims

Mike Roman, Trump campaign official

David Shafer, Georgia GOP chair and fake elector

Shawn Still, fake GOP elector

Stephen Lee, pastor tied to intimidation of election workers

Harrison Floyd, leader of Black Voices for Trump

Trevian Kutti, publicist tied to intimidation of election workers

Sidney Powell, Trump campaign lawyer

Cathy Latham, fake GOP elector tied to Coffee County breach

Scott Hall, tied to Coffee County election system breach

Misty Hampton, Coffee County elections supervisor

Ray Smith, Trump campaign attorney

Here is the indictment: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... indictment
Voronwë the Faithful

Fani Willis says that she is giving the defendants until 8/25 to self-surrender before issuing arrest warrants. I'm not quite sure how that works.

The case is assigned to Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee, who just became a judge this year. That strikes me as a potential problem.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:35 am I don't think I will feel glee, but I sure wish it were all over.
Rose, I do, too. And I'm surprised it's taken so long to get to this point, given that infamous 2021 phone call Trump made:
Willis launched her investigation into Trump in early 2021, soon after he called Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and pressured the Republican to “find” the votes necessary for Trump to win the state.
My glee is due to him finally not getting special treatment.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, there shouldn't be a two or three tiered system of justice/consequences/treatment. I have heard there are prisons filled with (usually poor and often people of color) who cannot post bail and have waited years for their cases to come to trial. That seems a crime in and of it self. Trump's behavior is so blatant because he expects to get away with it, being famous/wealthy/former president.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Anna Bower
@AnnaBower
Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows seeks to move his criminal case in Fulton County state court to federal court:
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's what happened to led to yesterday's clusterfuck with the false case being filed in the middle of the day.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't been following this case, on the basis of wake me up when he is in jail and/or elected president. I'm just here to say that I am old enough to understand this reference.
20230815_091012.jpg
20230815_091012.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The sad thing is if Republicans had done their job, we wouldn't be where we are now.
*hands Frelga a cough drop*
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:03 am I haven't been following this case, on the basis of wake me up when he is in jail and/or elected president. I'm just here to say that I am old enough to understand this reference.

20230815_091012.jpg
*hands Frelga a cough drop*
:rofl: :bow: Yes, I get it, too!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Donald Trump says he'll be presenting a public defense next Monday apparently based on the idea that he believes the 2020 election was stolen. I like Josh Marshall's argument here about why that doesn't matter. It's not only that believing a false thing doesn't give you permission to commit crimes. It's also that:
Trump doesn’t think of truth or lies the way you or I do. Most imperfect people, which is to say all of us, exist in a tension between what we believe is true and what is good for or pleasing to us. If we have strong character we hew closely to the former, both in what we say to others and what we say to ourselves. The key to understanding Trump is that it’s not that he hews toward the latter. It’s that the tension doesn’t exist. What he says is simply what works for him. Whether it’s true is irrelevant and I suspect isn’t even part of Trump’s internal dialog. It’s like asking an actor whether she really loved her husband like she claimed in her blockbuster movie or whether she was lying. It’s a nonsensical question. She was acting.