The Conspircacy Theory

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You'd better be because the timeline still isn't working. :P
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Just interjecting that every child is now vaccinated against Hep B at birth, and older kids who missed that shot and its followups are required to complete the series to attend school.

And have to say that searching on PubMed stinks, and if I'm looking for a specific paper I usually just copy the entire citation for it into Google. About 70% of the time I get at least an abstract. (Copyeditors are now expected to provide any missing information from references, and boy do the authors seem to know it.)

River, I owe you a PM, but I'm in New Orleans waiting for pizza and then heading out to Bourbon Street. Tomorrow, I suspect.

ETA: I'm editing a big text on infectious diseases in dogs and cats, and it's amazing how often entirely new viruses emerge, becoming major health problems over the course of a single decade, or fading away into relative insignificance. And I don't think anyone is targeting the kittycats. This stuff happens, all on its own.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If you're into conspiracy theories you could claim the kittycats are being used for testing...and conveniently not account for the fact that pathogens that clobber both humans and cats are actually pretty rare.

Sometimes, **** just happens and that's all there is to it. HIV is one rather catastrophic example. I'm not sure why people can't accept that.

And now I want to go home and cuddle my cat. :roll:

Cool.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I hate it when I miss great opportunities to chat about epidemiology.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read recently that some scientists think that Monkeypox is about to take the place of Smallpox. It has, apparently, become more virulent in recent years and while at this time you have to catch it from a monkey it may soon have mutated to the point where it will pass from human to human.
Dig deeper.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, Anthy, maybe you'd like to sink your geek teeth into this one!

8)

http://dprogram.net/2009/12/31/video-co ... episode-5/

This is the episode I watched the other night, and it talks about plans to thin out the world population using vaccines as the vehicle.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Vison, the original smallpox vaccine came from cowpox. Although cowpox produced only very mild infections in humans, vaccinating with cowpox virus provided cross-immunity to smallpox.

So, yeah, I can believe the monkeypox virus could jump from monkeys to humans. :(

Fear of vaccines is nothing new. Here is a link to a cartoon that shows people sprouting cow parts after being given the cowpox vaccine by Edward Jenner:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/small ... ation.html
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Sunsilver wrote:Well, Anthy, maybe you'd like to sink your geek teeth into this one!

8)

http://dprogram.net/2009/12/31/video-co ... episode-5/

This is the episode I watched the other night, and it talks about plans to thin out the world population using vaccines as the vehicle.

I like having geek teeth. 8)

And in a particularly holier-than-thou statement (made from the top of a soapbox marked "herd immunity for life!"), I will breezily note that a fairly decent way to "thin out the world population" would be to outlaw vaccinations.

It's a very favorite soapbox of mine. :)
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Hear, hear!

Conspiracy theories really annoy me, particularly when they are targeted at something that saves lives. :x
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, you sillies. Vaccination doesn't save lives. That's just propaganda! =:)

It's sorta amazing and disheartening to read all the weird and ugly ideas that people can come up with, isn't it? I often wish I couldn't read, actually. :(
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Then you'd just believe everything you saw on TV. Not a great improvement.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**bows to Anthy on her soapbox

Somewhere, in the cosmic scene of things, the conspiracy theorists will answer for every baby that died because parents were scared away from getting their children their shots.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Wampus - :rofl:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Especially when the baby who dies never had a chance to make their own immunity. :(

I had to call a positive test for Bordatella pertussis (currently enjoying a comeback primarily in California) on a three week old baby. The baby was, as I called, blue and unresponsive.

The nurse there told me that the child had been kept with family members, with her unvaccinated 6 to 10 year old cousins. The cousins had contracted whooping cough, and all survived, as older children generally do. That little baby never had a chance.

My soapbox is all shiny on top from frequent usage. :( That little baby haunts me.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Frelga wrote:Sunny, as someone (Dave? TED?) said on TORC, you cannot convince an irrational person with rational arguments.
Not me, I don't think, but I may need to plagiarize it. :)
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Anthriel wrote:And in a particularly holier-than-thou statement (made from the top of a soapbox marked "herd immunity for life!"), I will breezily note that a fairly decent way to "thin out the world population" would be to outlaw vaccinations.
Maybe the conspiracy is to make people think vaccines are a conspiracy. :upsidedown:
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Dave_LF wrote:
Anthriel wrote:And in a particularly holier-than-thou statement (made from the top of a soapbox marked "herd immunity for life!"), I will breezily note that a fairly decent way to "thin out the world population" would be to outlaw vaccinations.
Maybe the conspiracy is to make people think vaccines are a conspiracy. :upsidedown:
I think the conspiracy theory grows from the fear from certain groups that vaccines targeted at those groups are deliberately contaminated, such as the claim that the Hepatitis B trial vaccines in 1978 were contaminated with HIV and Herpes -8 virus (the virus that causes Kaposi's sarcoma), and that the US gay population was deliberately infected. This certainly appears to be the rationale behind mass vaccination refusals in Africa, for fear that "Western elites" are introducing pathogens into the Black African populace.
tenebris lux
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

FWIW, that would be a pretty silly way to go about reducing population, if one were so inclined. Anyone who's on the receiving end of international aid is not going to be using up a whole lot of resources.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Dave_LF wrote:FWIW, that would be a pretty silly way to go about reducing population, if one were so inclined. Anyone who's on the receiving end of international aid is not going to be using up a whole lot of resources.
Generally, fecundity is inversely proportional to wealth. Poor people have more children than rich people. Poor people are more likely to be in receipt of international aid. If the aim is to reduce populations selectively, and poor people are the main engines of international population growth, and furthermore, poor people can be subjected to mass vaccinations... perhaps it isn't, quite, such a silly scenario? :(
tenebris lux
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

If all you're concerned about is numbers, sure. But when people talk about reducing population, they really mean reducing total resource consumption (usually). Reducing the raw number of people doesn't make much difference if those people consume hardly any resources. A savvy population reducer would target rich people.