Can These Bones Live?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Faramond wrote:Practically, I find the discussion about "oreo" amounts to people telling me that I can't observe and understand what a word means.
I hope I haven't given the impression by my posts that you can't make observations like that, Faramond. On the contrary, the discussion that followed has been very helpful to me. I agree that using such a harsh term was inappropriate to begin with, but in fact if I had realized that the connotation varied today so much from my experience with this word, I would not have touched it with a ten foot pole. Nor would I have deliberately insulted the non-Black members by using a word that they in particular found offensive.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Jn wrote: I agree that using such a harsh term was inappropriate to begin with, but in fact if I had realized that the connotation varied today so much from my experience with this word, I would not have touched it with a ten foot pole.

And I do not touch it with a 10-foot pole, either.

I guess all that I was trying to do, from my very first (now deeply regretted) foray into this discussion, was to protest the seemingly rather casual kind-of-quoted inclusion of a word that I have personally seen bring tears to the eyes of a friend. To not protest it felt dishonest.

Whatever her skin color, whatever the experience of the man tossing the word her way, I saw that word bite her, and bite her hard. That felt terribly unfair and sad to me that day, and its effects on my heart linger.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Anth wrote:Non-Black members in particular? You have only had non-Black members respond, according to your definition of non-Black. I don't understand your reference here. I find it interesting that protesting the usage of the word"oreo" ... can imply some sort of a subtle inherent racism on my part. Or am I misunderstanding the meaning behind some of the things I have read, here?
You misunderstood my response to Faramond, and also my earlier observation about objections to this word, Anthy, but it is true that I am having difficulty conveying clearly what I mean.

I only added that sentence for Faramond in case he interpreted my earlier argument as you did - that objection to the word implied racism - and I wanted to assure him that I would not have used a word intending to make that kind of backhanded accusation either. I would not choose a word with deliberate intent to insult any of our posters, no matter what the reason they might have felt insult.

And I understand completely why you would object vehemently to a word you have seen used to hurt a friend.

My surprise at the strength of objection to this word among multiple posters - because really, it was not just "we don't like it" but very strong condemnatory language was used - my surprise arose in part from the fact that other words that sound much worse to me met with no objection at all. And I was observing in general that all of us are less sensitive about words that we ourselves use to target others. I think this is broadly true, and my purpose in continuing the discussion was to invite other posters to think about this.

It is an established psychological observation that all people tend to attribute more negative motivation to those who are unlike them than to those who are like them; and since the word oreo is one invented by those who are unlike us, I question in my own mind whether part of the explanation for the differentially strong negative reaction to this word was for this reason. If it was purely a negative reaction to the perceived racism of the word, then I would have expected an even stronger reaction to defense of the n-word and instead there was none.

And it is also true that the word oreo implies, in a left-handed way, that being White is bad. And I asked people to question whether this did not account for part of the differential reaction also.

I think, Anth, that a great deal of the 'kaboom' that went on in my mind over the ensuing discussion was because the act itself in question (the Primary strategy) was so obviously racist in my view and yet people were defending it; and because on a previous occassion when use of the n-word was defended, there was no objection to this at all. It is not that objection to 'oreo' makes one a racist in some backhanded way, but rather that these multiple factors travelled together in an awkward manner, and I saw fit to explore that. If it had not been for the combination of factors, I just would have edited the word out of my post and let it go at that.

It is not harmful, in my opinion, though it may be uncomfortable, for us to explore the ways in which the whole ambiance of our society and our position as members of the dominant culture within that society influence our reactions in ways that we just hardly ever explore. That was really my only purpose in pursuing this.

(In general, I will add, that in the past when objectionable statements have provoked a lot of discussion we have not edited them retroactively because this would deprive the discussion of its sense. It would have been much easier for me to simply edit and let it blow over, but I was also afraid that might be perceived to be an admin whitewash ... pardon any racial connotation. ;) )

Jn
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Jn wrote:My surprise at the strength of objection to this word among multiple posters - because really, it was not just "we don't like it" but very strong condemnatory language was used - my surprise arose in part from the fact that other words that sound much worse to me met with no objection at all. And I was observing in general that all of us are less sensitive about words that we ourselves use to target others.
And, I repeat, I contend that the difference is that the N-word wasn't used here, merely discussed. The emotional backlash of someone using the N-word, as "oreo" was used, would be huge and immediate.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Last edited by Erunáme on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I'm not going to rehash the whole discussion here again, but I would like to remind our posters that the n-word was said to be "descriptive" of Blacks. That is not discussion of the appropriateness of a word, it is an assertion about a word's acceptability.

Jn
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Last edited by Erunáme on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I was thinking before that "bad behavior" by Katrina victims was focused on or blown out of proportion because it fits with culturally rooted expectations. But in fact in many cases reports of bad behavior are simply made up!

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/utah.asp

Someone made this up to disparage Katrina victims. Many other people eagerly forwarded along, even with its wildly improbable tales of victims trying to smuggle guns and 50 pounds of drugs onto an airplane. It's clear that this piece was something people wanted to be true, and wanted to believe. Race is never mentioned in the fabricated story. However I think it close to certainty that race was very much on the minds of the people who made up this story and spread it.

The fabricated piece ends with this line:

I have always said New Orleans was a toilet; now everyone has proof that not only was it a toilet, but a toilet long overdue for a flush.

I stupidly used the word "vile" for something else a while back, when I should have saved it for that ending quote.

But I'm not quoting that for the purpose of condemnation. I'm wondering "what the hell?" Katrina was a disaster. It's another disaster that this attitude expressed in the quote is so widely accepted. I don't think it's always accepted on purpose, but how else to explain the way Katrina victims have been dropped as a concern by so many? I think most people aren't deliberately racist. I know a lot of people have helped, and want to keep helping. But I think there are enough people who believe in the "Katrina flush" model that the victims have largely been left behind.

How many votes will a politician gain by pushing for comprehensive aid and payouts to victims of Katrina, and for restoration the victims of Katrina to some sort of normalcy in their old communities?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Well, I owe you an apology, Jn.

I edited out that part of my post that I felt was inflammatory (I didn't delete the post! I didn't!) because I did not want to hurt your feelings, nor did I want to "smack back" at you because I felt smacked at.

My post as it stands now is simpler, and more clear... I truly did protest the word because I had seen its sting. It didn't sting me... it couldn't. But I quite clearly saw how it stung someone who had worked her butt off to achieve her personal goals, and was being chastised for it.

But I am glad that you saw the more confrontational part that I had written, because your response to it goes a long way to further my understanding of what your mindset has been in this thread, which relieves a lot of that "smacked at" vibe I was getting.

I apologize to you, Jn, because I did not have the faith in both of us that I could make such a strong statement, and have it lead anywhere except to more rancour.
You misunderstood my response to Faramond, and also my earlier observation about objections to this word, Anthy, but it is true that I am having difficulty conveying clearly what I mean.
This may be a new phenom for you, but it happens to me all the time. :)
I only added that sentence for Faramond in case he interpreted my earlier argument as you did - that objection to the word implied racism - and I wanted to assure him that I would not have used a word intending to make that kind of backhanded accusation either. I would not choose a word with deliberate intent to insult any of our posters, no matter what the reason they might have felt insult.
Then your intent was quite straightforward with that sentence, and I am glad for the clarification. I was reading subtleties that did not exist.
And I understand completely why you would object vehemently to a word you have seen used to hurt a friend.
Yes. It truly is as simple as that. Thank you for understanding that.
My surprise at the strength of objection to this word among multiple posters - because really, it was not just "we don't like it" but very strong condemnatory language was used - my surprise arose in part from the fact that other words that sound much worse to me met with no objection at all <snip> If it was purely a negative reaction to the perceived racism of the word, then I would have expected an even stronger reaction to defense of the n-word and instead there was none. <snip> and because on a previous occassion when use of the n-word was defended, there was no objection to this at all.
I wonder if there was less of a "differential reaction" than you perhaps thought. I think the way the word was used, in each instance, is key. It was your very casual use of a word I consider ugly that made me stand up and respond.

In your post, you wrote, "community is saying loud and clear that they know what an oreo is a don't want any, thank you". If we were to go back and substitute the N-word for "oreo" in that sentence, like this, "the community is saying loud and clear that they know what an N* is a don't want any, thank you", do you not think there would be an outcry? You would have had one from me, had I seen a sentence like that. And I can be confident that I would not be alone.

This is not to imply that the two words are similarly weighted; not at all. It is simply meant to illustrate how context is important in the level of emotional response.

And it is also true that the word oreo implies, in a left-handed way, that being White is bad.
Interesting. I feel like "oreo" implies that a black "acting" like a white is bad; specifically, in my own personal experience, that blacks having the temerity to be educated is bad. I never have felt that the word has any direct implication towards whites at all.
I think, Anth, that a great deal of the 'kaboom' that went on in my mind over the ensuing discussion was because the act itself in question (the Primary strategy) was so obviously racist in my view and yet people were defending it;
I don't remember defending the political strategy you describe, but then again, I can't assume you are talking about me. For my part, I think I was so distracted by the startling (to me) use of the word "oreo" that all other topic points faded away.
It is not that objection to 'oreo' makes one a racist in some backhanded way,
Thank you, Jn. That snippet of sentence right there helps relieve quite a bit of stress for me.

Edit: It took me quite a while to finish this post and get around to posting it; sick kids, phone calls, etc. It was meant to appear right after Jn's post directed to me.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Faramond, one of the things that makes a hoax like that believable is the extraordinary amount of detail - numbers, statistics, when the plane landed, where people stayed, etc. It is easy to imagine people passing along cloudy but false rumors, much harder to imagine fabricating so much specificity. It's almost demonic, and almost impossible to assume from the outset, upon seeing something like that, that a human being could have such a character.

Alas, there is at least one person who would seem to have such a character. And yes, it is vile.

Jn

eta: cross-posted with Anthy. Thank you, Anthy, for being so understanding. It is sooooooo difficult to talk about race, and yes I do appreciate that context has everything to do with what we feel we must respond to and what we let slide.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

And it is also true that the word oreo implies, in a left-handed way, that being White is bad.
I understand why you were at least considering that explanation for why Whites would object to a racial epithet used against Blacks...because maybe it says something about them, too? But really, what I object to is calling white people Black or calling black people White... calling someone something they are not. That is the insult. My first year of teaching, a black girl called her friend (also black) 'Hey Whitey!' [It was in jest, of course...but teens say lots of cruel things in jest.] She was embarrased when she realized I had overheard her, but when I called her on it, it was just to point out that she should show her friend more respect than that. I wasn't offended.

To be perfectly honest, Jn, the reason the other instance was left to pass in silence (by me, and by several others) is that we were completely unaware of it. I did not read that thread, nor do I have any idea why it came up. Racism is a germaine topic when discussing Katrina; was it also on the abortion thread? You cannot see raised eyebrows in a post; I am not willing to condemn all those who kept silent as condoning the action. I highly doubt I would have kept silent during that exchange (when do I ever? :D), but I cannot 'prove' myself of course.

I have had few occasions to reprimand people for using racial slurs. The most common word flung around as an insult in my classrooms has been "gay." And while it is used casually: "You have homework" "That's so gay!", it is also directed at people as an intentional slur (worse words are seldom used loud enough for the teacher to hear, but I won't pretend they aren't used). I have heard many people offer to fight over use of the N-word, and I have even seen a fight that occured over the supposed use of it (IM is so unreliable). Swearing is a seperate issue. I can correct, forbid and punish inappropriate language...but I can't stop people from choosing to use it despite the consequences. I have not yet overheard the word "oreo" - but if I did, I would quash it out of respect for the target, not because of my own sensibilities.

Erm, I know this a silly reaction, but I kinda like oreos...I ate some this afternoon...and it just suddenly struck me as funny that we are having a serious conversation about cookies. Except, of course, we aren't. Sorry for that...
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Erm, I know this a silly reaction, but I kinda like oreos...I ate some this afternoon...and it just suddenly struck me as funny that we are having a serious conversation about cookies.
:rofl:
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Mith wrote:And while it is used casually: "You have homework" "That's so gay!", it is also directed at people as an intentional slur (worse words are seldom used loud enough for the teacher to hear, but I won't pretend they aren't used).
Yes ... that is a perfect example of one of the things I was trying to talk about earlier. Kids pick up these words and use them without any comprehension of their meaning or the social context that they call to mind.

Rather than saying they use them as a slur, I would say they use them as a taunt. I agree that you should call your students on this, but you do so, I'm guessing, because they don't appreciate the power of these words rather than because they do. It would be hard to argue that grade-schoolers truly believe that doing homework turns you into a homosexual, or that they would have any appreciation at all, yet, for what a sexual preference is much less a desire to slur someone's sexual preference, or any comprehension that using this word to mean something bad calls to mind a social context in which gays are actively persecuted. They do not call their schoolmates 'gay' because they themselves harbor hatred toward the gay community and have decided this is a potent insult for that reason. They use the word because they have absorbed it from the larger environment and know it can be used to carry negative connotations. There is in this, I think, a bit of the rebellion and exhiliration that young people typically feel from appropriating any kind of 'bad words' from adults.

I do distinguish pretty strongly between this kind of taunting and the use of words by adults who know what they mean and use them intending to evoke their social context. This is not to say kids should be excused for doing it, but to say that it definitely has different import when a kid does it.

Jn
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Jn, I teach high school - these kids know durn well what sex is. While (some of them) use the word 'gay' casually, it is not casual when it is directed at someone in particular. It is used as an insult, the implication being that homosexuals are scum of the earth. I'm honestly not suggesting that all (or even many) of my students feel this way, nor will I rule out fear that others may label them that way as a motivator - but I'm not making this up! Kids who are gay are taunted for being gay, and kids who are perceived as gay are as well. It isn't a generic insult. And yes, you don't hear as much of this in "nicer" schools; you hear more of it where kids are used to solving problems by fights, and are a bit freer with their language.

I agree that younger kids just pick it up as the insult du jour without knowing or caring what it means. It just means something stupid or annoying or uncool. But, there is a process by which they learn, but keep using the word out of habit.

It would be nice to think that some of my kids don't know how cruel they are being...but I can't be naive, either. Cluelessness is much easier to deal with (like the boy who came in after Martin Luther King Day and said that the only thing he knew about the man was that he had had an affair (:shock:) [I hope he had him mixed up with JFK...], or the boy who informed me I was pregnant :rofl:). Cruelty is just :rage:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Oh, my mistake, Mith! I thought you taught in elementary school and were talking about really young kids.

Yes, of course High school students would know what this means, and using it pejoratively against a gay person makes it a slur.

(I do believe your student had MLK mixed up with JFK. :scratch: It might be that MLK had an affair - I've no idea! - but it's certainly not part of the rumor mill the way JFK's affairs have been.) ;)

Jn
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I gave him the oddest look and said, "no he didn't!" I really don't know if there are rumors about that or not, but I had certainly never heard that and wasn't going to accept an attempt to demolish the moral authority of the man as a first principle. In this case, I know he picked it up from his parents, which is why I think it was a confusion, not an attempt to be malicious. Kids do make mistakes.

Sometimes high school freshmen act like really little kids.... :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Actually, there have been persistent rumors, and that is part of what the FBI supposed investigated (before turning to more serious smear tactics), but so far as I know it has never been proven for sure one way or the other.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt - so unless they have a kid out of wedlock or introduce someone as a mistress....I'm not going to assume an affair.

I realize that the media has a field day with celebrities, though, so I can at least understand if people repeat less clear rumors. In the case of MLK, though....he got a lot of media, and it wasn't about that!

This student also said MLK was Catholic when I asked him for a different detail, though, so that's why I suspected a confusion with JFK. That I could clarify for him ;). Or maybe he was just plain confused. [He was in 8th grade, and white.] Students do come up with odd ideas sometimes.....
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I coulda sworn I recently read in a pretty reliable source that MLK had a very long affair with another woman. Can't remember for the life of me where though.
-The Decemberists

MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

A concrete example from today :shock:
I teach all girls. Seeing as how we're only 2 weeks into the school year, I haven't had the need to correct language yet (they're still on good behavior).

Until today.

When I announced an assignment, one girl exclaimed, "that's so gay!" I gave her a look, but went on with the class.

Not long after, another girl dropped her books or something, so that I asked if she was okay, to which she replied, "I'm straight."

Another girl took the opportunity to comment, "Well, I hope you are!" (Some students laughed at the double entendre.)

They had just begun classwork, and the two offenders were conveniently seated next to each other, so I went over and quietly informed them that this was twice now, and their language was inappropriate. They gave me a confused look, so I repeated what they had said, and reminded them that we are to be respectful in class.

I don't think their words were intentionally malicious; they weren't directed at anyone in particular. The first was thoughtless; the second a joke. I would be very surprised if one of them were to use a racial slur (one student was black; the other was white).

But I don't see any harm in correcting thoughtlessness in a classroom. Sometimes, I have to remember that I am not in my classroom when I step out the door - different rules!