General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's heartening to hear, Voronwë. Maybe I'll drag Mr. Prim out to see Avatar before Friday (when it vanishes from both 3D theaters here).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I may be wrong but I think I read somebody somewhere saying that you can't get anywhere near the same quality from slapping 3 D effects onto a 2 D movie as you did from Avatar which was shot from the ground up to be seen in 3 D. That's what I would be worried about.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They have to add information that isn't on the film as it was shot, which means a whole lot of potential for error.

We are seeing Avatar tonight, BTW. I'll post my reactions in the Avatar thread.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Funnily enough, it wouldn't be too hard to create a 3D LotR Trilogy. So much of that movie existed in CGI that simply rendering those scenes again in 3D would be relatively trivial. Bear in mind that some sections of Avatar were not 3D, but the overall effect was. Much like the way LotR used a couple of "money shots" to sell the world before dropping back to simpler tricks once the audience had bought in.

So here's my prediction. That "Ultimate Edition" of LotR will happen, and it'll be in 3D. And it will possibly even have those remaining scenes like the Epilogue and Éowyn's Wedding. The opportunity to launch those movies again, after the Hobbit, in 3D with "All new scenes" will be too difficult to resist.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

yovargas wrote:I may be wrong but I think I read somebody somewhere saying that you can't get anywhere near the same quality from slapping 3 D effects onto a 2 D movie as you did from Avatar which was shot from the ground up to be seen in 3 D. That's what I would be worried about.
But TH hasn't begun shooting yet...
Alatar wrote:So here's my prediction. That "Ultimate Edition" of LotR will happen, and it'll be in 3D. And it will possibly even have those remaining scenes like the Epilogue and Éowyn's Wedding. The opportunity to launch those movies again, after the Hobbit, in 3D with "All new scenes" will be too difficult to resist.
I wouldn't bet against that.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Alatar wrote:So here's my prediction. That "Ultimate Edition" of LotR will happen, and it'll be in 3D. And it will possibly even have those remaining scenes like the Epilogue and Éowyn's Wedding. The opportunity to launch those movies again, after the Hobbit, in 3D with "All new scenes" will be too difficult to resist.
But how would they deal with one dimensional extensions to the stories.
Given that modern film creation is very much a plastic medium there is loads of potential for fixing stuff - especially the some of the muddy CGI, I guess it all depends whether PJ can be bothered.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ponyboy over on TORC had this to say today:
Hobbiton was supposed to be totally ready by May of this year. We haven't had much of a "summer" and therefore Hobbiton is clearly not ready (go out there and you'll see). Dan Henna and the crew was just out there checking things out, and things came back with a "no-go" from them. We've known for some time that the end of 2012 is realistic for the films 1st release. Money isn't the only issue, they know The Hobbit is a sure fire winner. Mr. Del Toro and Mr. Jackson want to make sure the films are done right. There has also yet to be a casting for Bilbo (and several other major roles). That's also part of the hold up.
Ponyboy is supposedly a WETA employee, so I's be inclined to believe this till I see otherwise.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

News of a delay is frustrating...:(

...but if taking their time means we get a better result then that's preferable to rushing it through for the sake of keeping to schedule. 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Can't fault them at all for not rushing things. Often faster isn't better.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, if they are postponing filming, it seems no one's told Gandalf yet...
One of the stars of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy is poised to return to the Hobbiton set in Matamata.

The cast for executive producer Peter Jackson's film, The Hobbit, has yet to be officially announced.

But British actor Sir Ian McKellen – best known for his role as Gandalf in the Rings sword and sorcery epic – said on his website that he would reprise the role of the grey-haired wizard and expected shooting to begin this June.

Filming will take place throughout 2010 in New Zealand, with director Guillermo Del Toro renovating the elaborate Hobbiton village sets in Matamata for the movie, which is expected to be shot over 370 days and released in two parts.

While in New Zealand, Sir Ian will also perform in Samuel Beckett's classic existential play Waiting for Godot at the St James Theatre in Wellington. Its run starts on June 30.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ponyboy just confirmed 3D also.
Btw, the movies are being filmed in 3D. We made the announcement today.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

More from Ponyboy:

A lot of this is hearsay and bad reporting. There have been no official announcements from the studio. I can tell you this... It will likely be in 3D (and 2D)... and shooting won't likely begin until July. The reason is because Sir Ian will probably do a theatre run here in NZ during June. Bilbo has YET to be cast. It's down to two actors (Rumours floating that they want to screen test these actors with Sir Ian).
Not sure how much to believe. His last post said "We made the announcement today".
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am more than a little skeptical of Ponyboy's veracity.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

True, but at least he gives us something to discuss! ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Source says the MGM situation of ‘great importance’ to two potential ‘Hobbit’ films
TheOneRing.net has received rock-solid information from an absolutely reliable source that the MGM financial situation is indeed what is behind the delays of the start of “The Hobbit.”

...The source inside the production has told TheOneRing.net that all of the wrangling with MGM is indeed a significant part of possibly pushing the films back.

“At this stage we are all working and hoping for the best case scenario. Without a doubt, the MGM situation carries great importance.”

Conflicting reports list the first of the films’ release in 2011 as well as 2012. Studio and other sources told TORn that 2012 is a foregone conclusion but some involved say there is still hope for 2011...

It appears the two films will not get funded and a green light from the studios until the MGM financial affairs are settled.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think the pictures of the construction of Hobbiton have gotten posted here:

This one is in particular is quite cool:

(click for larger image)

The other pics can be seen here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Very nice. But wouldn't they have already made this for LOTR? Or does it get dismantled immediately?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

It was completely dismatled after LOTR.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry V, but that's not the case. There have been continuous tours of the Hobbiton set since the movies were finished. Originally the farmer had requested that the land be restored to its original condition after shooting. Once he realised the goldmine he was sitting on, however, he changed his mind. The problem was that the sets were not built to last. They were essentially plywood facades that had begun to rot over the years.

The current work is in restoring the original facades, while also adding in new work. These photos seem to suggest that there are some interiors also being added, which were not present in the original.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Al. I had thought that the farmer's original wishes had been abided by, and that he then realized that he had screwed up. Thanks for the correction.