Protests in Burma

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

The U.S. position on Burma has been schizophrenic, and I am personally troubled by the stuff I hear coming out of the US administration right now.

I intended to post something in this thread last week and just didn't find the time for it. (Right now I've got seven half-finished exams on my computer, and instead of writing those I'm sitting here writing about Burma ... there just ain't enough hours in the day.)

Let me just run down the list of things that I find inscrutable right now, as I worked for several years on Burma issues when the non-prof I was working for gave some funding to a nature preserve in the Karen province through which the oil pipeline is being built.

1. Although there were student pro-democracy protests in 1988 that led to a massacre - being recalled to us loudly by the press right now - that is far from being the meat of what happened in 1988. An actual elected government was overthrown after two generations of democracy, and the country was taken over by a military dictatorship. Aung Sang Suu Kyi was the elected President, and daughter of the previous Prime Minister. Dr. Sein Win was the elected Prime Minister and nephew of the previous Prime Minister. Aung Sang Suu Kyi was arrested and has been under house arrest ever since. Dr. Sein Win fled with the surviving members of the cabinet and currently resides in Washington, D.C. The U.S. government provides official haven to the elected government in exile, which operates as a government in exile from U.S. soil. We do not reconize the State Law and Order Restoration Council (the dictatorship); we withdrew our ambassador but did not close our embassy because it is important to us for drug monitoring purposes. And we still refer to the country officially as Burma.

I have seen no mention in the press, or in interviews, of the existence of democracy in Burma prior to the violent overthrow of the elected government by the dictatorship; nor any mention of the fact that there is a government in exile operating from U.S. soil.

2. Initially the SLORC promised to cooperate with the US in ending the heroine traffic out of Burma, which is the key producer in the "Golden Triangle." Although we knew that the SLORC generals were actually at the source of drug traffic out of Burma - that is the country's only real income - we cooperated at arm's length by providing them with Agent Orange to spray on the opium crops. Independent investigators, one of whom is a personal friend of mine, obtained proof and then testified before Congress that the chemicals were not being sprayed on the opium crops but were being sprayed on Shan villages in the north of Burma to quell rebellion against the SLORC. Congress subsequently terminated its gift of Agent Orange to the dictatorship. This happened between 1988 and 1995.

I have heard a lot about Burma's economy in the press and in interviews, but not one mention of the fact that heroine and teakwood are still the country's only serious source of income, and since much of the Burmese teak that finds its way out of the country is actually poached by Thai lumber companies and vetted through US and European mills, I doubt that even the teak makes much dent in the GDP. The buyers for both the teak and the heroine are not in China; they are in the U.S. and Europe.

3. There are approximately 400 foreign direct investors in Burma. Five of them are Chinese. Almost all the rest are European. The United States passed a selective purchasing law against Burma in 1995 (the McConnel Act) which means that companies that invest directly in Burma may not receive contracts from the U.S. government, and all but two US companies exited at that time (I'm pretty sure that only Texaco and Unical are left.) A number of U.S. States and cities have passed similar laws. But the State of Massachusetts, and possibly other governances, has been sued by the World Trade Organization, in a complaint brought by the E.U., that its selective purchasing law on Burma is a violation of the General Agreement of Tariffs and Trade. (It's been seven years since I attended the meetings in Boston regarding that suit and I don't know its disposition, but I expect to be brought up to date on that tomorrow night.)

There has been a lot of press coverage concerning foreign direct investment in Burma, all of it exonerating Europe and blaming the Chinese. This is gross misrepresentation of the situation. The direct investment in Burma is overwhelmingly European. European governments do not give aid to Burma and have not done since 1988, but the US is the only country that has taken steps to prohibit its domestic companies from investing there. The only significant US investment in Burma comes from the two US companies that are still involved in the oiil pipeline: Texaco and Unical, and I believe that Texaco unloaded most of its share a few years ago. The majority owner of the pipeline is the French company Total. SLORC does also receive loans from the World Bank at subsidized interest rates as a "least developed country" and that has to happen with the approval of the United States.

4. My daughter informs me of another lawsuit concerning Burma which settled out of court with a gag order as part of the settlement. She's the co-editor of the Human Rights Law Journal at Harvard and they just had a big meeting about Burma ... I expect to get more juicy info in the immediate future. :D Anyway, suit was brought against Unical, a US domiciled company whom you may remember because they funded the people who flew planes into the World Trade Center after another lawsuit failed to stop them from paying the Taliban in Afghanistan. Anyway, the suit that settled was a Class action under the Alien Torts Act for the kidnap and mutilation of Shan tribespeople to work on the pipeline. They would kidnap them and then cut off one foot ... like the old plantation owners in the US ... I knew about the kidnappings and mutilations because I've seen the documentation on that, but I did not know until my daughter told me about it that Unical had actually been sued over this and did agree to settle.

The Bush Administration submitted a Friend of the Court Brief on behalf of Unical and the SLORC. So when Laura Bush writes an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal as she did on Tuesday of this past week, and the last sentence is "the time to free Burma is now," I just gotta say, "Huh?"

5. The U.S. Department of Defense, one department within it at any rate, has wanted to invade Burma and get rid of the SLORC for as long as people have been putting butter on toast. The DOD has a drug enforcement department that basically duplicates the work of the DEA but with their own agenda. I have to be a little bit careful here not to drop clues about the identity of individuals, but I can tell you from the top of the food chain that our DOD knows the location of every blinking poppy seed in Burma, which general owns it, which general transports it, and which general gets paid for it, and where it goes. Nothing would make them happier than to turn those guys into dog chow.

They are prevented by the executive branch from interdicting heroine traffic into the U.S. I was not told which agency within the executive branch is responsible for this, and I won't speculate in public, but in private I can make a pretty good guess, and those of you who have been around the world a few times can make a pretty good guess too.

So ... here's my assessment, with a confession up front that I really don't know what's going on with our administration's sudden 'discovery' of the existence of Burma. That George Bush would give a damn how many Buddhist monks die stretches my credulity beyond its limit. BUT ...

• I notice that China is getting bad press out of this, even though the role they are playing is something we should laugh at. Not that Chinese suppression of human rights is laughable, but blaming them for Burma is really a joke. It's like blaming the Chinese for apartheid. The Chinese companies invested there are all working on infrastructure, and they are likely being paid at least in part by World Bank turnkey contracts.

• I notice that the presidents of North and South Korea just reached an economic agreement, and that's got to burn a hole in George Bush's knickers, since the only country North Korea can actually threaten with nuclear delivery is South Korea. (There's another side to that story too, though, for another time.)

• I notice that our president was in desperate need of a distraction from Iraq, and Burma has long been a popular cause among the student population in the US, the young voters if you will.

I wouldn't hope for a U.S. invasion of Burma in the immediate future. As for embargo, we've already gone about as far as we can in the U.S., and we did so twelve years ago. It's Europe that has to ante up at this point with selective purchasing, and since everyone seems bent on denying that Europe provides most of the investment in Burma, I don't think that a serious embargo is on the table either.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Thank you Jnyusa. That was extremely illuminating.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The sad fact of the matter is that Burma is on China's patch: no other power has sufficient clout to affect the junta's actions; otherwise nothing short of invasion would work, which Beijing would not countenance, and which the US has gottern into enough trouble by doing.

Why are we the villains for intervening in Iraq, and the villains for not intervening in Burma? Why are we castigated for inaction in Darfur, and the actions we have taken against Sudan castigated as an imperialist bid for oil?

We just can't win.

Anyway, we're busy.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

solicitr wrote:The sad fact of the matter is that Burma is on China's patch: no other power has sufficient clout to affect the junta's actions; otherwise nothing short of invasion would work, which Beijing would not countenance, and which the US has gottern into enough trouble by doing.
Yes, that's it in a nutshell, I think, sol. The ASEAN partners have never blinked at the Burmese dictatorship, Southeast Asia is China's Monroe Doctrine, and the SLORC doesn't care about economic development beyond the poppy fields. The global agitation for change comes from the Human Rights Community, which is non-governmental and only has teeth when the governments under fire actually care about their world image.

What has me watching Burma right now (with the little time I've got to spare) is the fact the the Bush Administration has bothered to make so much noise about it. This doesn't add up to me, unless there are other numbers on the ledger that we haven't seen yet.
Why are we the villains for intervening in Iraq, and the villains for not intervening in Burma? Why are we castigated for inaction in Darfur, and the actions we have taken against Sudan castigated as an imperialist bid for oil?

We just can't win.
Well, I'm not really peeved about this damned-if-you-do attitude from the rest of the world, because when we do intervene we do it in a sloppy way and often help 'the wrong side' - meaning the side willing to play monopoly with us rather than the side committing the worst abuses.

We're the villains for intervening in Iraq and Sudan because of the way we did it. Oil loomed too large in the picture for anyone to believe we were motivated by something else ... in Sudan, you know, the US embassy was inside the corporate headquarters of an oil company that had been given a concession by the atrocious Sudanese government.

Whereas in Bosnia, Darfur, Burma, real atrocities were/are being committed and the world would probably support a heavy-handed US intervention, but there's nothing in it for us and so we chant that we're damned-if-we-don't when the honest truth is we can't be bothered.

... talking about the US government now, not the US people who generally feel awful about every bad thing that happens and leap to help.

But, see, I think Europe is as bad as we are, if not worse. Most of the countries in the throes of civil war today are former European colonies, and their troubles are the result of colonial screw-ups. And Europe also says, "don't point your finger at me! - those colonies have had fifty years now to straighten out their difficulties, and if they can't then there's something wrong with them." But that's ridiculous because it took Europe more than fifty years to end its monarchies and its internecine wars and its border disputes, and Europe didn't have the disadvantage of being occupied for 200 years by a completely foreign enclave culture, its integral trade relations decimated, its product shipped abroad and its food surplus annually raped. There is nothing happening in those former colonies that has not also happened in Europe in living memory, including genocide.

Europe dragged its feet on Bosnia, too, and continues to drag its feet on Darfur, arguing whether it should be classified as genocied and how many dead people fit on the head of a pin. Sitting here in the US we are keenly aware of the extent to which racial, ethnic and religious prejudices color our own culture, but are less aware of just how uncomfortable Europeans are to see their economic purview and accountability expanding to include the westernmost reaches of Dar al-Islam. Some of the discussions I've heard on European news programs would be called racist if they happened here.

Rather than viewing global politics today as an argument over which government should be held accountable, I think all governments smell pretty ripe, and the real battle is between people in power and the rest of us who are trying to get those in power to behave like human beings.

Jn
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

don't intentionally try to single out the US and pee on them please.
Firstly, I didn't. I pointed out that the US has always been opposed to Communism, and China is supporting the Junta government. The phrase
Why does no one act?
includes everyone who has the power to act. The UN, the EU, France, England etc. The US just came to me as I was posting the thread.
Is there some reason you wish to take the United States specifically to task for its alleged inaction while not questioning the inaction of your own country? Or do you consider the EU's toothless "sanctions" against Burma to be sufficient "action" on your country's part?
No. No I don't. See above. No one is doing anything.
But, see, I think Europe is as bad as we are, if not worse.
Hear hear.

Everyone. ASEAN, EU, UN, UK, USA. Every government that can and won't act is included in
Why does no one act?
Why is the duck billed platypus?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Anytime Jnyusa takes the time to post, it's worth reading. Excellent as usual, and, also as usual, very enlightening.
Dig deeper.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

vison wrote: Anytime Jnyusa takes the time to post, it's worth reading. Excellent as usual, and, also as usual, very enlightening.
:agree:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Thanks, vison.

I guess I'm mainly confused as to why everyone in the press, including those in Burma solidarity who have been interveiwed, had so studiously avoided mentioning the government in exile. They're called the National Coalition Government for the Unity of Burma, and if you want the scoop on Burma just google NCGUB.

Crucifer, I 'got' what you were saying. If the US is currently engaged in a war of aggression ostensibly because of Iraq's support for terrorism and its human rights abuses, then it is legitimate to ask why they US cares so little about a much easier regime to overthrow, whose drug trafficking probably does fund terrorism in a roundabout way besides being deeply injurious to US society, and whose human rights abuses are even more infamous than those of Hussein.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Crucifer, I 'got' what you were saying. If the US is currently engaged in a war of aggression ostensibly because of Iraq's support for terrorism and its human rights abuses, then it is legitimate to ask why they US cares so little about a much easier regime to overthrow, whose drug trafficking probably does fund terrorism in a roundabout way besides being deeply injurious to US society, and whose human rights abuses are even more infamous than those of Hussein.
Thank you. That is essentially it. But it's not even so much that the Junta would be easier to overthrow (although it would. For one thing, the nation would be largely behind the invaders, not the current regime) but that what is happening in Burma is so much more awful, so much more a crime against humanity.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Last time I looked, the US Marines were out of the office on a housecall......
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Y'know, the Bushies thought the Iraqis would be behind them when they overthrew Saddam.

I recommend extreme caution in predicting how an invading army will be received, even if it is to replace somtheing as stinky as the junta in Burma. The best thing foreign powers can do is back the opposition. Revolution is one of those things that is most effective when homegrown.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I edited my first post to remove any possibility of interpretation as bashing the US, in the interests of keeping on the topic.

There are people in Burma who support the Junta, but Buddhism has huge power there. The people in general love Buddhism, and tend to follow the example of the monks.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

And Marines ain't exactly Buddhist monks. Agreed: the locals have to lead. Had Hitler never invaded Poland, the rest of the world would have had little choice but to stand around hand-wringing over what he was doing to his own people.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

btw, solicitr, I love your signature. :D
Dig deeper.