Musicals and Operas

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Crossposted from B77 for anyone interested.

Here's three more I had snipped from Act one

The Quartet
I'm not in this one, but I love the music. If you're wondering whats going on, grab the lyrics somewhere.

Pretty Women
We lose the orchestra slightly here, but get it back. Also I'm singing the wrong verse at one point. Still, how often do you get to sing a male Baritone duet!

A Little Priest
The comic highlight of Act one, and the finale, this really showcases my leading lady Jean's talent. I'm just along for the ride
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Alatar, you have a wonderful voice and great talent! I loved the clips! :clap:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Alatar wrote:Pretty Women
We lose the orchestra slightly here, but get it back. Also I'm singing the wrong verse at one point. Still, how often do you get to sing a male Baritone duet!
At one point you nearly put the brush in Turpin's mouth while he's singing. LOL! There are plenty of times in Mozart's Don Giovanni when baritones Don Giovanni and Leporello, his servant, sing together. But perhaps that's not the case in musical theatre.

I agree with Trazúviel. You have a really sexy voice! (As a heterosexual male am I allowed to say that?) In any case, you sound great, and I would be more than a little surprised if there weren't at least a few female members of the audience who felt their pulses quicken.

My wife loves it when I use the baritone part of my voice, but, alas, that's only possible early in the morning shortly after waking or when I have a cold. On the plus side, I'll turn 50 this coming December yet I can still easily pop high Cs (and above). :D
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm off to see Wicked in SF tomorrow night. I've been wanting to see this show for a very long time :).
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Enjoy! I'm jealous! I saw WICKED in SF when it was still in development in 2003, but I'd love to see the current version . . . .
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Great show. Enjoy Hal!

(Personally I think its far better than the book. Heresy, I know!)
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I also prefer it to the book :P

The show was excellent, although someone must have pulled a fire alarm in the penultimate song, which was unfortunate... lots of people got up and disrupted the whole thing even though it was obviously not an actual emergency, as they would have stopped the show... but anyway...

I was glad I got to see Dee Roscioli play Elphaba, as she has played the role more than anyone else. She was superb.

However, Patti Murin as Glinda stole the show. I think this is the first time she's been in the role but she was hilarious. She even had Elphaba cracking up during the "Popular" scene. It was highly entertaining.

Overall the cast was excellent, and the theater was awesome. I wish I could go again :).
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I love the show "Wicked." I'm glad Stephen Schwartz is finally getting his due. The book is decidedly weirder, although I don't know if I would say that the show is "far better!"

The author reportedly really liked the stage adaptation and says that it inspired him to write "Son of a Witch" which is the sequel to "Wicked." I liked that book better...it's not quite as weird. :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Bought the book WICKED when it first came out and did not get through a third of it. Have seen the play three times and it was amazing and one of my favorites of all time now. I love I'm Not That Girl. I cry every time.

What ever happened to the move they were going to make of this?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

http://screenrant.com/oz-great-powerful-trailer/

Great and Powerful Oz, not quite the same as wicked but still going to see some back story of Oz.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Can anyone give their opinion on whether the musical production of A CHORUS LINE is suitable for 7th Graders?!?!?!

I've had a letter home regarding a planned school trip to see this production in London for my 13-year-old in July...

I've only seen the movie, and from the synopsis on Wikipedia, the musical seems pretty much the same.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

What age is 7th grade? There's a fair bit of bad language in the show, and of course there's a lot of sexually charged dialogue in the monologues. Greg talks about having a permanent erection in school, and how when he was necking with a girl and "feeling her boobs" she asked if he wanted to feel anything else, which was when he realised he didn't cause he was gay.

I guess it comes down to this. If the kids are ok with watching Glee, they'd be ok with A Chorus Line, but I don't let my younger kids watch Glee.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's Yr 8 over here, which I believe is 7th Grade in the US? - 12-13 years olds.

My son will be 3 months off of 14 by that time, but there could be kids not 13 till August.

The part I remember from the film was the "wet dream" sequence where the guy thinks he's got an STD!

I don't think it's something I would take my son to, so I'll drop the teacher an email with my concerns.

Thanks, Al :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Up to you I suppose, but I'd let my eldest watch it. She's 14. Its a tough one to call. They're going to be exposed to a lot of this stuff in school, and I think A Chorus Line gives a positive message about sexual identity. If they were 10 or 11 I'd be advising against it, but I think at 13 maybe its the right time to think about these things.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Whilst I wouldn't choose to take my son to this show, I guess I don't have an objection to him going on a supervised trip (the headmaster, his wife and school chaplain are accompanying the group) if he wants. I'm just surprised at the choice, and wonder if the organizers were fully aware of the content of the show.

I shall make discreet enquiries tomorrow when I am at the school!
~Diana Cortes
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The movie version of "A Chorus Line" is terrible (IMHO) - one of the worst adaptations of a musical out there, rivaled only by "Man of La Mancha" with Sophia Loren as Dulcinea. It is quite different from the play...and not in a good way.

That being said - I think the stage production is terrific (although a bit dated) with fantastic singing and dancing and a great "inside look" at the audition process. I would certainly have allowed my 13 year old to attend. Yes, there is some reference to sexuality, but it's a musical, not a drama. There's some language (there's a song about getting plastic surgery called "Dance 10, Looks 3" which has the famous "tits and ass" chorus) and a couple of monologues about coming out. The song/montage about growing up called "Hello 12, Hello 13, Hello Love" naturally has some sexual references.

But the show is NOT about sex, it's about giving everything up for your art. It's a great musical.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thanks, Jewel...the thing is, I was not concerned so much regarding my personal decision whether or not I want my son to see the show, but whether or not the school were aware of the suitability of the performance they've chosen.

As it happens, when I spoke to the head he didn't know anything about the show, and said it was the only one with tickets left for the matinee performance on the day they needed! So I've left a synposis and the various comments you guys have given me with him to discuss with the Chaplain (who is organizing the trip!) and I'll be interested to hear whether they go ahead or not!
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Dress Rehearsal for Evita tonight. Photos tomorrow hopefully!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Looking forward to it!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Me too. First show that I saw on Broadway, many years ago, featuring the immortal Patti LuPone. Definitely made quite an impression on me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."