On Singing

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

On Singing

Post by Crucifer »

This thread was split from the Bible Translations thread in Tol Eressëa. Please let me know of any misplaced posts. Crucifer, you can rename the thread if you wish, by editing this first post. —Prim

solictr, I hear you. Nothing against women singing, really, but there is nothing, nothing in the world so beautiful as a properly trained trebles (boy soprano to the lay person ;) ) voice. I was one myself once. Then my voice broke, so I'm a bass. :D

Nyhoo, back on subject... I've forgotten what I was going to say... :oops:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Lucky lad. I went straight from contralto to basso profundo.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

<suppresses memories of 8th grade choir>

We do tend to forget what you guys have to go through. :D :hug:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I didn't go through it. I went to bed one day as a soprano, all chuffed having sung a difficult solo, and my first really proper performance (the youth in Mendellsohns Elijah. A high A for 2 bars as loudly as possible. Not easy, and on the reording it's damn good. The worst bit is that I was supposed to sing it again 2 months later.)

The next morning, I was supposed to be sining at a wedding, and I was a tenor. Two weeks later, I was a Bass. I never squeked once.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's what happened to both my guys, although the one who's a singer did go through a two month period where he completely lost the first four notes above middle C—his high voice couldn't get down to them and his low voice couldn't get up to them. Nothing but air. :P

The choir he was in then was led by an expert in the male voice change, so he made sure my son didn't damage his voice by trying for what wasn't there. Now he's a happy bass with a decent higher range learned by work with a voice teacher (so, he says, he can try out for more than just villain parts in musicals, and sing solos that aren't about coal mining).

Ummmm. . . . How 'bout that NRSV. . . . :oops:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

The villian parts are the best ones. They get to be all nasty to the goody two shoes. I love playing villains. Especially Javert.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

And deliciously wicked Pizzarro, and Hunding, and Dr Bartolo, and Rigoletto's Duke, and and and. Not to mention Don Giovanni, though that gets a bit high for me.

But a bass also gets lumbered with tedious bores like Sarastro and the Commendatore and King [brain-fart] in Parzifal.
Now he's a happy bass with a decent higher range
Like Placido Domingo :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Er, well, not—he's not got that kind of voice. But good enough to be in school shows and good high-school choirs. He won't have a career in music, but I'm sure he'll always have fun with it. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Crucifer wrote:The villian parts are the best ones. They get to be all nasty to the goody two shoes. I love playing villains. Especially Javert.
Except Javerts not a villain. ;)

Javert is a highly honourable man who genuinely believes he is doing the right thing in hunting down a criminal. When he finds he's wrong, he takes his own life.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Javert's a great example of the distinction between an antagonist and a villain.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Not to mention Don Giovanni,
*Melts*

Alatar, having played for les mis *counts on fingers* 12 times now, I know Javert is'nt really a villain, but he is certainly not "the good guy", as such. He has wonderful songs. His first entry is absolutely fantastic, while "stars" ir the most spine tingling song in the whole thing.

People get confused with me sometimes. They hear me sing, say, Vatliant for truth (written specifically for me and my voice) and come up to me and say "You can go really low for a tenor" But I'm actually not really properly either. I'm a baritone with a range of nearly three octaves.

And KJV is only good to listen to or read out. It's riddled with mistakes and things, and it's nearly impossible to get one with the apocrypha included.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Crucifer wrote:I'm a baritone with a range of nearly three octaves.
Lucky for some :)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

"You can go really low for a tenor" But I'm actually not really properly either. I'm a baritone with a range of nearly three octaves
*Exactly* like Placido Domingo.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Alatar wrote:
Crucifer wrote:I'm a baritone with a range of nearly three octaves.
Lucky for some :)
Don't I know it!

:)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In case you're interested:

Shameless Self-Promotion
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Wonderful. Where are you based? I'd love to see you guys live...

(And the title is perfect, Jny.) ;)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm based in Shannon, but thats with a production I did in Limerick.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

You wanna bring it to Cork? I'll get lots o' people to come.
Or at least let me know when you guys next do something.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its funny, I've always wondered why there's no musical societies in Cork. Largest county in Ireland and not one Musical Society (that I know of). Wierd.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Alatar wrote:Its funny, I've always wondered why there's no musical societies in Cork. Largest county in Ireland and not one Musical Society (that I know of). Wierd.

The Cork Arts Studio, tho they don't really do musicals, but put on an absolutely fantastic performance of Les Mis recently is all I can think of.

It's mostly Choral societies and orchestras.

And the highest standard of music examinations in the country = Cork School of Music.

But musical societies (I'm presuming you mean groups who put on musicals, as opposed to societies of musical people.) are non existant, I think.