Banned books?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Meneltarma

Banned books?

Post by Meneltarma »

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2 ... ince-1945/

I realise some people are uncomfortable with their children getting access to books which talk about uncomfortable subjects, but this is beyond ridiculous. :scratch: :D

(I'm about halfway through a degree in English literature, and a lot of these books are actually in the prescribed course for two of my papers next year :rofl: )
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I think people should look at what their kids read and if they disapprove, then it should be dealt with in the family. There is no need to attempt to ban books from libraries or schools. They're your kids, look after them yourself!

*beginning of sarcastic rant*

Send them to "safe" schools. Keep them out of public libraries. Easy peasy.

*sarcastic rant over*

I think it's a mistake to "censor" a child's reading, though. I read piles of books that were "way over my head", books about entirely "unsuitable" subjects, and it only broadened my mind, it did not warp it. (There are people who think broad minds are warped, though!)

I've read most of the books on the list you provided. Some of them I loved, some I hated. I really, really, really didn't like "The Color Purple", for instance. I mean, I really didn't like it. But it would never occur to me to attempt to stop someone else from reading it!
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'll be impressed when my own book, denied publication due to complaints from hardcore leftists who bullied the publisher, finally sees the light of day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

vison wrote:I really, really, really didn't like "The Color Purple", for instance. I mean, I really didn't like it.
One of my favorite books of all time. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

My favourite part of that article is a comment about the irony of people trying to ban The Name of the Rose. :D

There's another comment left by a librarian who is frustrated by people who think the sole purpose of the library is to provide a safe environment for their children. That has always irritated me - parents are free to censor what their children read (though mine never did) but they do not get to choose what other people are allowed to read.

Oh, and the bit about the surprising lack of 'ex-gay authors' was magnificent.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Devil's Advocate: You can go now and get mainstream DVDs at local libraries. You can go rent Pulp Fiction, if you'd like. Theaters are expected nowadays to not allow anyone under 17 into an R-rated film. Why shouldn't libraries be expected not to allow kids to read adult material?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whistler wrote:I'll be impressed when my own book, denied publication due to complaints from hardcore leftists who bullied the publisher, finally sees the light of day.
Whistler, I don't think anyone who follows this issue seriously would deny that there are plenty of calls for book-banning from the left as well as the right. Banning Huckleberry Finn because it uses the "n" word is probably the classic example. However, in my town at least, most disruption and controversy over books in libraries and classrooms has come from the conservative side, and I live in a hotbed of hypersensitive liberalism (and yes, the kids read Huck Finn).

Book banning should be deplored whatever the source.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Did you know that Mark Twain participated in an attempt to ban Huckleberry Finn from public schools? Not because of the "n" word, of course, but because of its darkly cynical views on man and his institutions. He wrote, as well as I can recall it:

"I wrote this book for adults, and it always grieves me to learn that a child has been given access to it. The mind of a child, once polluted, can never be cleaned again."

Twain knew that children would learn about the real world in time, but he didn't want it on his own conscience.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I didn't know that. Fascinating.

So his cynicism didn't extend to children.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Mr. Twain had many and interesting turns of thought not immediately apparent when one reads, say, "Tom Sawyer". He was a man of his times in many ways and yet in others he was far advanced. His peregrinations through the minefield of Sex are. . . . .oh, gosh, I'll just say "interesting". :D I love Huckleberry Finn as much as I unlove The Colour Purple. I read it first when I was about 10. It didn't hurt me. It didn't pollute MY mind.

Or, then, maybe it did. =:) Along with "Kitty" and "Tarzan of the Apes" and "Appointment in Samarra" and myriad others, too numerous to mention.

Whistler, I guess all I can say is, there are many, many publishers in the US. From what I can see, they seem to publish books from every political extreme and all points between and from every religious and philosophical persuasion. Why is yours exceptional?
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Vision:

My book was specially commissioned, and I was paid for writing it. But of course this arrangement meant that I did not own the finished product, so I do not have the option of publishing it elsewhere.

That in itself is no tragedy. It was simply a job and I don't claim that the world has been robbed of some great work of genius. What infuriates me only is that a third party (the NEA) injected itself into a private business arrangement and presumed it had the right to call a halt to it.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Whistler wrote:Vision:

My book was specially commissioned, and I was paid for writing it. But of course this arrangement meant that I did not own the finished product, so I do not have the option of publishing it elsewhere.

That in itself is no tragedy. It was simply a job and I don't claim that the world has been robbed of some great work of genius. What infuriates me only is that a third party (the NEA) injected itself into a private business arrangement and presumed it had the right to call a halt to it.
Ah, I see.

Well, that must rankle. I know it would rankle with me. :(
Dig deeper.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I love The Colour Purple! I read it in German, though, and on reading the excerpt in the link I couldn't remember how the uneducated language was re-created in the translation. I didn't remember it! Normally, such language gets on my nerves, so I thought I'd remember. I went and had a look. Got sucked into the book right from the first sentence and kept reading for a couple of pages before I remembered I had just meant to look up the language. Yes, it's rendered quite appropriately. I guess the reason I don't remember it as "bad language" is that I was too fascinated with the story to get ennervated by the grammar. :)

As to the subject of the thread - I'm not sure what this is about - are those books banned or are there plans to ban them?

(I'm sorry I didn't properly read the text on the website, but it was too much text for my patience I'm afraid. :) )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Well I read the list of books that the group wanted banned, and my reaction was approximately :scratch: followed by a cynical :roll:.

Some of them seemed at least semi-understandable...people have been trying to ban Catcher in the Rye for ages...but One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? The Bean Trees? The Things They Carried? The Giver?? I read The Giver when I was about ten like almost all kids do. And while I may or may not be mentally stable, that fact certainly has nothing to do with The Giver.

I find it amazing what people seem to find "inappropriate". My only hope is that libraries and schools will continue to resist the banning of any type of literature.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I am familiar with about 60% of that list and every one of the titles with which I am familiar I consider important books (which is not to say that I enjoyed reading them all; some were hard going, emotionally. But they were very important to the development of my social intelligence.)

I just do not understand book banning.

I have come across books that I find truly offensive, even dangerous in that they can have an insidious influence on those critically unprepared for the message. But even to those books I say - it's important to know your enemy. It is not possible to ban an idea.
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

whistler - as Prim said, censorship is rephrehensible whichever side of the political spectrum it comes from. Though in my country, pretty much all of it comes from the right. (It has actually become a political issue whether or not to ban a book about a great historical figure because it was written by a non-Indian who has actually criticised him. The horror!)
Your situation is ridiculous though - surely having commissioned the book they have to publish it? :scratch:

Yova - I wouldn't really object to a system of rating books according to appropriate age - but I think actually enforcing it would be impossible and undesireable. When I was younger my library had a policy of not allowing childen under sixteen to read certain books, and that was terribly frustrating to me - especially since most of the really good books were in the grown up section.

My current library doesn't allow people with 'adult' cards to take books out of the childrens section. :scratch:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh? Parents can't check out books for their kids? How bizarre.

As for that banned list - I think I have my reading list right there. And you are right, banning The Name of the Rose is tragically ironic.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yova - I wouldn't really object to a system of rating books according to appropriate age - but I think actually enforcing it would be impossible and undesireable.
Would it be undesireable if it were movies instead of books?
My current library doesn't allow people with 'adult' cards to take books out of the childrens section.
What the??
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Most of my favorite books are "children's" books: Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, The Jungle Book...heavens, even The Hobbit might be called a children's book! And what do they do with Harry Potter?

What an absurd restriction.
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

It gets better - the first time I went there I sat in the children's section for a while and looked at the books there. Most of them were, in fact, children's books, but some of them..er..weren't. It seems someone had been lazy while sorting the books and had decided to chuck everything with a child-related title in there.

James Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. :shock:
Ian McEwan - The Child in Time

(Children's membership is open to people age 14 and below.)

I wrote a strongly worded letter. :P