Bible Translations

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

In Oxford there are occasional Anglican services in Latin at the University Church, or at least there used to be. That is because in Oxford Latin is deemed to be a tongue 'understanded of the people', and so the service is compliant with the Thirty-Nine Articles.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Not that I'm trying to change the subject :blackeye: (and I really enjoyed hearing about voice changing experiences :D), but I just wanted to share. My DH bought me a new bible a couple weeks ago. It's a Thompson Chain Reference bible in the NIV. My other bible is KJV, and I was pretty much raised with it, but I started reading the OT and am just enjoying how much easier it is to understand. I haven't used it yet in my studies (i've been using PowerBible on my computer), although I like how the Thompson has topical studies as well a concordance, and character studies, and all kinds of neat things in the back of it. :happydance:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

For all the KJV's magnificence in liturgical use, it's a lousy study Bible, representing a very outdated translation, and (for the New Testament) based on the error-riddled Textus Receptus. Any post-WWII translation will be more accurate.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The discussion of voice changes and various singing roles has been moved to the Cottage of Lost Play. Crucifer, I had to move a post that included one comment about the KJV that you might want to repost here.

Link: http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1174
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Nicholas King is a Jesuit scholar from Oxford who has produced a new translation of the New Testament. It has arrived with a slew of recommendations.

http://www.kevinmayhew.com/Shop/Section ... m_id=58703

I've bought it and I think it's wonderful, very refreshing.

To quote from the blurb:

Many translations of the Bible have an overall style and uniformity which irons out irregularities and is defined by various factors, such as amplifying the text or producing easy-flowing reading or modern English. Nicholas King's fresh rendering of the New Testament is not only innovative but also illuminating and faith strengthening.

His translation strives to keep as close to the original Greek as possible, frequently incorporating idiomatic or grammatical peculiarites. This results in a translation which is exceptionally stimulating, sometimes startling, but with the result that it shakes off the dust which often settles on passages which have become tired from overfamiliarity or frequent quotation.

He's achieved something quite remarkable, really. He captures the feel of an ancient text and yet the SHOCK of how it reads makes the NT feel very radical. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Di, is there a place online where one could read samples?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sounds exciting, Di!

I believe the Young's translation was also an attempt to stick close to the literal meanings of the original languages, and I found that quite startling -- encountering unexpected tenses, for example. I didn't stick with it for daily reading, though, as it was much slower going.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Greek has verb tenses that talk about the passage of time in ways that English just doesn't have the grammar for (even if one pulls out rare tenses like "would have been going".)

Thank you, I look forward to reading his translation.

-Kushana
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I'm too lazy to look for myself, but I am curious, Kushana. What tenses does Greek have that English does not?

And what's so rare about the present perfect progressive? I hear it all the time.

"What've you been reading?"

"He's been working on his novel."

I think we use it all the time, usually as a contraction, though.

"She shouldn't've been driving in the first place."

I would indeed like to know what time frame is beyond expression in English grammar.

bt still loves Kushana, but he also loves his precioussss grammar squabbles
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm curious, too, bt (big surprise).