What faith have you chosen?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.

What faith are you?

Christian, Protestant
25%
Christian, Catholic
18%
Atheist
20%
Agnostic
5%
Jewish
10%
Buddist
No votes
Muslim
3%
Pagan
3%
Hindu
3%
Other
15%

Total votes: 40

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

you could call me a Berean or Paulinist
I had no idea some Protestants actually called themselves Paulinists :shock: - I used to think that was a derogatory term used by Catholics (implying Protestants don't believe in what Jesus said so much as in what Paul said).
(No offense, I hope - just really surprised to hear that - it's also possible I misunderstood the term when I heard it used, it seemed to be in a derogatory context.)

(Never heard the term "Berean" - is that derived from a person's name?)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

I had no idea some Protestants actually called themselves Paulinists - I used to think that was a derogatory term used by Catholics (implying Protestants don't believe in what Jesus said so much as in what Paul said).

I might be one of a very few, I never really thought about it until just a few months ago. Since I base my doctrinal beliefs on what Paul teaches, it would be safe (I would think) to assume I follow Paul (as Paul follows Christ). My sister, dad and I were discussing doctrine not too long ago, and the terms Paulinist or Paulite popped up...and we all thought they were great descriptions. I wouldn't have considered it derogatory...that's interesting. Especially since my husband had a Catholic background.

And although I say I follow Paul's teachings, I believe Christ is the Lord and Paul's letters are all inspired by God. :)
(Never heard the term "Berean" - is that derived from a person's name?)

That comes from Acts chapter 17 when Paul preached in Berea. It says that the Bereans were "of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." (NIV) I have gone to so many different types and denominations of churches throughout my life, and there were many times I would disagree with what they were preaching but didn't know why, so I would go home and study my bible, just like the Bereans. ;)
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

There is a "Berean Baptist Church" in my town. I never knew what the name meant before. Thanks, Traz.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I also thank you, Traz, for that clarification of some terms I did not understand.

*Clucks teeth. Those Thessalonians*
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

I attended a "Berean Bible Church" years ago, that might be where I first learned about the Bereans. I'm glad I could share! :D
*Clucks teeth. Those Thessalonians*
:rofl:
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for explaining, trazzie! :D

Like I said, I thought at the time that I heard it that it was derogatory, so I'd not have used it myself to describe a Protestant - I guess it depends on context, I can see how it can be negative, but I can also see the way you use it. It's just good to know that it might not be a bad word in all cases. :)

I looked the Bereans up in German, and found I hadn't heard it in German either :shock: - cool, I really learned something. :D

And I think it's brilliant that they are praised not just for accepting the new faith, but for checking whether what people told them was true. :D
Also, bravo to you for checking and thinking for yourself when things that are preached sound dubious. :clap:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Hobby, I would avoid it too if I thought it might be derogatory. You did it right, imho... :D
Also, bravo to you for checking and thinking for yourself when things that are preached sound dubious.
That's all from the Lord...I'm sure I wouldn't have checked otherwise. ;):D It's scary though when you have a preacher read a verse in the bible, then look at the audience and say, "but we don't believe that, do we?" :shock: That doesn't bother me when other people tell me that, as we see here on this thread there are many many different beliefs, but when a professed bible believing preacher stands up there in front of a crowd of people and starts picking out verses here and there, it starts to worry me.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

It's scary though when you have a preacher read a verse in the bible, then look at the audience and say, "but we don't believe that, do we?"
Well, I don't know, it depends on what he meant.
Was he being sarcastic, and implying that nobody believes it although they should? It does sound like an ironic question, the way you quote it.

Or did he really mean that this bit of text is not to be taken literally - in which case he would have to provide arguments for his point.

(Maybe I should add that as a Catholic, there are many texts in the Bible that we don't take literally. :) Not that I know which ones they are, except for the Genesis. :blackeye: But there are others that people choose not to take literally when it suits their purposes. :roll: That's when discussion becomes interesting, though... =:) )

So, yes, someone saying "but Jesus didn't mean that", for example, would make me want to double-check the preacher's arguments. I was also thinking of responding to interpretations that strike you as unreasonable or off the point.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In Hinduism, it has become almost the norm to question stuff. Since the religion is so old there is a lot of debate on what is mythology, what really happened and out of what really happened, what DID really happen. ;)

But then we are argumentative Indians. :P

Part of the whole rigmor is that you don't have one book, one culture, one set of rituals which "define" Hinduism. Leaves lots of room open for debate.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Hobby wrote:Was he being sarcastic, and implying that nobody believes it although they should? It does sound like an ironic question, the way you quote it.
I see what you mean, good point. No, he was basically saying not to take that particular verse literally, because it went against their church doctrine. The reason that I don't agree with doing that is because it makes it so easy to twist the bible to mean whatever you want it to. I've attended several different churches who did just that. It can really be confusing. Many years ago I finally got fed up with one church saying they're better than another church, or "we're the only church that teaches the truth", not to mention the various methods for salvation. So we started doing home bible studies. I've learned so much more than I ever got out of church!

Now I'm not saying that all churches are wrong, but in my experiences, most Christian religions teach their respective religeous doctrines based on the bible and not much more. They've been great places to worship and sing and meet people, but not much bible study, and I crave that. And I take the whole bible literally, btw....it's easier! ;) :D

Mahima, I think it's great to question stuff, that's the best way to learn! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, it is. But it obviously differs on your upbringing, environment etc. I wish certain rituals of India were questioned far more than they are now. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

But it obviously differs on your upbringing, environment etc.
Yes, that is very true! If I was brought up in only one religion, (when I was born, we were Catholic ;)) I probably wouldn't have thought about questioning anything. But being exposed to so many different ideas naturally gave me lots of questions. :)
melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

Trazúviel wrote:Yes, that is very true! If I was brought up in only one religion, (when I was born, we were Catholic ;)) I probably wouldn't have thought about questioning anything. But being exposed to so many different ideas naturally gave me lots of questions. :)
I was brought up in only one religion (if by that you mean denominational doctrine), but I have been fortunate enough to have pastors that taught me to question things. The focus of the church that I belong to is that we are "reformed, yet always reforming". In other words, God isn't "done" with us yet. We're still learning to be the people He wants us to be. It's been very helpful to me, for as I've grown older, my thoughts have changed from what they were as a young person. Perhaps the same can be said of my denomination-we're still growing.

Meli
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Meli wrote:The focus of the church that I belong to is that we are "reformed, yet always reforming".
You were really blessed, that's a great outlook! That's a sign of growth, that we never stop growing. :)
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I stopped growing years ago.
Except for Trazzi and Meli, I think mature people are silly. Especially axordil. :P

*crawls off*
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Ax is mature? :suspicious:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You saw his pants, bt. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I am Roman Catholic. Like Nin and superwizard, I think everyone knows this about me, but it may not be as obvious as I think. I don't recall whether or not I did the poll ;). I have only ever had one person tell me he intended to convert me, and I informed him that I have a mother, and so I will die Catholic. The reasoning for this is that I know my mother prays for me, and this is very important to her. God hears her prayers, so that young man had not-a-chance of converting me ;). [He was Russian Orthodox.]

I do think such lists are not as helpful as they could be, because we all have to explain what we mean. Identifying our religion gives a hint as to what we think and believe, but it doesn't really answer the questions. And when we try to explain, we don't make any sense - because it is hard to teach your language to someone else!

At this point in my life, I do not think I could choose not to believe in God. I can't choose not to believe in my mother - I know her. She's real. The most I could do is deny or reject her.

Which I could certainly do. When I contemplated suicide, it was with the understanding that I would be rejecting God for all eternity. Turning my back and walking away to the one place he could not follow me... So, yes, I could do something like that. (Obviously, I didn't!) I could have weak faith, bad faith, or shrivelled up faith....but I can no longer deny God's very existence. It is too real, something I have experienced too many times. I suppose that that means my faith is confirmed, though it did not happen at Confirmation, but later.

I happen to think that the Catholic Church is a great faith and religion (ie, it has the fullness of truth). But I also know it's a mixed bag - being Catholic doesn't count for much. I admire people who are saints, but I know that I myself am not. I've had a lot given to me, and so a lot is expected of me - and I seldom live up to that. So, I throw myself on God's infinite mercy and hope for salvation. Some days, it seems too much to hope for my own sanctification, but for some reason, Jesus loves me too much to give up on me, no matter how stubborn I am, and so as long as I have life, there is hope for me.

I enjoy having conversations about faith and religion and God and spirituality with people who have very different beliefs than I do, and I enjoy having such discussions with people who are on the same page as I am. I gain different things from the two types of conversations, but they are both valuable.
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

I grew up a Protestant in the UCC (United Church of Christ), which is fairly liberal, but always had doubt. Combined with my interest in the Apocrypha, being a general Doubting Thomas, and some really difficult introspective times, I've since become more spiritual than religious. I never fully believed all of the tenets of Christianity — religion tests I've taken indicate that my beliefs are now closer to being a Reform Jew or a Unitarian Universalist, though I'm somewhat agnostic. :scratch:
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Loves the Tyrster and his/her :scratch: