Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, her hobbits are wonderful! She may not have the technical skill of some more professional artists, but the spirit of her hobbits might be the most dead on I've seen in drawings.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oh, it's so nice to hear this. :)

What a shame Lucy isn't around to hear it. :(

Well, wherever she is, and whatever she's doing, I hope she's happy! :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

Post by Mrs. Frodo Baggins »

Well I highly doubt I am anywhere close to being someone's favorite Tolkien artist, but seeing those wonderful hobbit drawings by Lucy Wade again inspired me to draw my own hobbit picture! :D This is Violet Goodbody from a RPG that I played a long time ago (Rowanberry would remember her though :) ). I still like to draw her though. :D I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out because I didn't copy it. She is completely from my head!

~Sid
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

*rushes in*

*tacklecrunchhuggles Sid*

*rushes out*

:horse:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Frelga wrote: One of my favorite Tolkien artists is Jane Dolfen (http://www.goldseven.de/) I think she used to have more Tolkien art on her website. And I can't remember if it was she or Eissman who had really charming comic strips of the Gondor Brothers as children, based on Calvin and Hobbes and done in the black-and-white ink(?). Can't find the link now. :(
Frelga, it was neither Jenny Dolfen nor Anke Eissmann, but Catherine Karina Chmiel (another great one):

The Boromir comics

And, Chmiel's portrayals of the Fëanorians - :love:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes! Thank you, Rowan! I've been looking for them.

And I certainly appreciate her Boromir, too. :D

Sid, Violet is so wholesomely hobbitish! :love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

YAY!!! An Anthy tackle hug!!! My life is now complete!! :D :D :D

Thanks so much Frelga! I had so much fun drawing Violet that I drew myself as a hobbit for my DiviantArt ID. :D

Hobbits sure are fun to draw! :D

~Sid
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

awww, that's adorable, Sid. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Sid, your hobbits are just great. Somehow, I missed at first that the first one was Violet!

I think that you've found your own style. :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

Awwww! Thanks guys! :D That means a lot to me!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beth came home today with the words "you can sometimes find something interesting at Goodwill". She then handed me a 1984 J.R.R. Tolkien calendar, illustrated by Roger Garland. I like it very much. It has pictures from LOTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and (even though it doesn't say so) The Book of Lost Tales. I think my favorite one is the first one - The Tale of the Sun and the Moon. I also very much like the one of the Two Trees (which I actually have seen before).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Googling for something to use on MoME, I just found this Russian artist.
The illustrations seem in the tradition of classical Russian illustration art (they reminded me of Bilibin's style). I liked quite a few of them.

http://Eressëa.ru/library/gallery/lyazg ... a.shtml#03

They aren't all Tolkien topics, there's quite a bit of Lohengrin, too.
Unfortunately, the letters aren't displayed properly on this site (at least for me), but when I click on an image, the mouse-over shows the title in Russian letters.
I can decipher the names (am pleased to remember that much), but don't get any of the other words.
Maybe Frelga or Breogan can help?

Anyway, here's some I liked:
Nienor

Fingolfin

Fëanor
(Too handsome for Fëanor, if you ask me. ;) But a great drawing. :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Very nice find, Hobby! Of course Frelga can help. :D What is your wish? If you can decipher Cyrillic, you can set your browser encoding to Cyrillic Windows-1251. Otherwise, just ask. :)

I likeThe Bow and the Sword. Túrin is doing a great job of guarding Beleg's back. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

That would have been one of my questions. :D

Thanks, Frelga! :D

I'm not even too sure about all the letters anymore, but if they make a name, I can usually read it. But if it's other words, chances are I'm lost.
(And I don't know the Sil well enough to recognise the scenes. :oops: )

I guess 'poshdenye...' (transcription being of course another problem ;) ) is the creation of sun and moon? (Not my favourite, though. An odd picture, I'd just like to get the topic right.)

I like this one http://Eressëa.ru/library/gallery/lyazg ... na03.shtml and wonder if it's "death of Felagund"?

And just out of curiosity, is the artist a guy or a girl? (St00pfid cases, I can't even tell what the name is from its genitive.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Julia Liazgina, definitely a she.

And yes, the one you linked is Death of Felagund (Gibel' Felagunda), and Rozhdenie Solnza i Luny is the Birth of Sun and Moon. Creation is probably a better translation, but less literal.

She also has Ring of Felagund, although I think it should read Ring of Barahir, shouldn't it? Not a favorite either.

Then, the second row, The Last Battle of Fingolfin. The other three you already deciphered. And the next row is Fëanor, Maeglin, and the rest is from Lohengrin.

Fëanor is definitely my favorite. Gorgeous work, such confidence and arrogance in that curl of lip.

Did you see this one? Very cool Beren. And check out this Maedros!

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:She also has Ring of Felagund, although I think it should read Ring of Barahir, shouldn't it?
Either way. It was Felagund's ring first, after all.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

True, true, it's just that it is usually referred to as Barahir's.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Frelga wrote:Julia Liazgina, definitely a she.
Ah, thanks! :D (I thought 'Julii' would be from 'Julia', but the rest of the name I couldn't trace back to its original form, and there might be a male 'Julius' or so, too.)
She also has Ring of Felagund, although I think it should read Ring of Barahir, shouldn't it? Not a favorite either.
Yes, I've seen that, and didn't have a clue what it was. I thought of Lúthien and Beren in front of Thingol and Melian, though, I just didn't know what to make of the shiny thing in his hand...
I looked it up, and Beren says "by the ring of Felagund' when he reacts to Thingol's insults - so that explains the title of the pic.

Did you see this one? Very cool
Wow, those are great!

I didn't find any other galleries, because I didn't know where to click - I tried some links but only got to the home page and some lists.

I think it's not my PC not being set to display Cyrillic - when I click on the pic, the heading says Маглор, but on the index-page it gets displayed as Ìàãëîð. :scratch:

(The pictures of Maglor on this gallery are swoonsome, btw. :drool: )
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Ah yes, very lovely Maedhros and Maglor. <steals> ;)
And here is a Fëanor for you, should you want it...

I am more interested in Jenny Dolfen, Catherine Karina Chmiel and Anke Eissman than in Lee, Howe or Nasmith. But they all have their plusses!

Lee I like the least, even if he is very skilled. I loved his work on the movies, because my complaint with his artwork is that it is too...washed out. Everything is just grey. PJ fixed that ;). My favorite picture by Alan Lee is the House of Tom Bombadil.
I like some of his others as well, but most of them do not move me. The Fords of Isen might look nice, but it is so blah!

I like Nasmith for his landscapes and his colors, which are both wonderful. His characters are best when they are indistinct, though - they tend to be very stiff and clunky in their movements, and his hobbits are almost...ugly! For shame! (Though, again to be fair...his Rosie is not bad - I like this picture a lot!) My favorites by him are Lúthien dancing by moonlight, and Maglor throwing the Silmaril into the sea (even if the covering-of-the-face is a bit forced...)

Howe is great for his action and his portrayal of movement. I like his covers for HoME, mostly. My favorite of his, though, is his Gandalf:
Getting Gandalf's look 'right' is not difficult, because Tolkien described him in such detail and he is so clearly an archetype we are all familiar with. Many artists can do that much. But...this painting evokes the entire feel of Middle Earth for me, with the rain and the tree and the lighting and...everything!

Of the ladies, my favorite is probably Chmiel. She is able to tell an entire story in just one snapshot. It's...an amazing ability for an illustrator! All of her pictures are amazing (including the young Boromir comics!), but this one in particular: Elros and Elrond were taken

Anke Eissmann is very prolific, and does such beautiful work. Most of her scenes are quiet, but engaging - she's in between the flashy battles and the barren landscapes. The picture of the Hall of Fire on this page is one of my favorites of hers, but I also enjoy her Beren and Lúthien series. Her Tom Bombadil is quite nice, Old Tom!

Jenny (pronounced 'Yenni') Dolfen generally has blah landscapes (with a few exceptions) - but her characters come to life. When her Curufin smirks in such a self-assured way...it's just, oh, wow! Her Maglor and Fingon are beautiful, and her Maedhros is just great :) That, and she very kindly drew Finrod for me when I asked! Her 'Fields of Gold' painting is Amarië, Finrod's beloved, and that does have a lovely background. So does her picture of the Sons of Fëanor after the Fifth Battle! More importantly, she just had a baby girl last month :)

Her main page: http://www.goldseven.de/
Her elfwood page: http://www.elfwood.com/art/g/o/goldseven/goldseven.html
Her deviant art page: http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/
Her epilogue page: http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/ar ... llery=5458

(Most artist are very willing to let you repost their work if you ask first. Since I didn't, I tried not to in this post; my pictures are all from sites beyond the artist's original site anyway. But hotlinking can be just as annoying, so you really can't win!)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Nasmith I blow hot and cold on. Sometimes he's very evocative and subtle- as with his Lúthien on Huan- but sometimes he's stiff, plastic-y, and even Hildebrandtish (yuck!).

I think Lúthien dancing is one of his best- but he also betrays his New World origins. Reading Tolkien's "hemlocks" like a good Canadian, he depicted them not, as Tolkien intended, as cow-parsley, or what Americans would call Queen Anne's Lace, but as giant coniferous trees of the genus Tsuga!