Eragon and Eldest

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Eragon and Eldest

Post by Alatar »

Has anyone read these? They're main claim to fame seems to be that the Author, Christopher Paolini was so young when he wrote Eragon. I believe he was about 16 at the time and is still only about 19 with two bestsellers to his name. Eragon is surrently in production as a movie and is due for release in November or Desember of this year.

I suppose my question is, are they any good? Aside from the age of the author and the "Next Harry Potter" fever surrounding them, do they actually have any merit?

Alatar
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I've read Eragon, though I haven't read Eldest yet...I think that one came out in August. Christopher Paolini was very young indeed when he wrote Eragon, I think he started it when he was about 15. Now he's 19 or 20.

As far as the book is concerned, let me just say that in Eragon it is quite obvious that Paolini was young when he wrote it. His writing skills are frankly terrible, and it sounds like he got most of his words out of a thesaurus. The style just seemed awkward to me. The plot is pretty good, though it's nothing very special or unique. And I certainly wouldn't call this series the next Harry Potter, Paolini's creativity just doesn't match that of JK Rowling's. From looking at the map in the first few pages of the book, you can tell easily that the names of the places are derived from Tolkien...you have the Bëor Mountains, Farthan Dur, Surda, Melian, Silthrim, ect. For being written by a teenager, the books are very good, but they're mediocre at best compared to most fantasy.

So I would recommend this book to younger teens, or younger children who like fantasy but might not be old enough for Lord of the Rings. :)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I enjoyed Eragon and look forward to reading Eldest at some point. I didn't find his writing to be that awful.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

I read and enjoyed both books.

They are marketed to a 'teenage' audience.

I look forward to reading the next novel in the series. They should make a good movie.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have read Eragorn - and found it "fine". A lot of stuff did seem Tolkien-ish, but now that we aren't getting any of his books....

All in all - a fairly okay read. little kiddish in places, but I didn't find the writing awful. I will probably pick up "Eldest" once in comes out in paperback....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

I have read Eragon. I have Eldest, but have not started it yet.
:D:D:D:D

I was actually enchanted with Eragon, but not in an "what fabulous stupendous wonderfully skilled writing" kind of way. :D:D:D It was more that the plot caught my attention. I like his premise. It's just a good little story. I dig dragons in the worst way, of course, so I am all for any story that has dragons!! :D:D:D:D

I would definitely not put it up beside Harry Potter, and its not even in the same universe as Tolkien. If the names are, in fact, derivative from things Tolkien, then I say "good boy!". Shows he has some hobbit sense! Giving a nod, perhaps, to the great master who went before...who, perhaps, even inspired him??

I think that, if he could write this decent little bit of a story at the age of 16, then he's got a real future as a writer. I hope he goes on for the continued training that all writers should have. With more education and just plain practice, he should turn out to be a really talented writer. And that is good for ME, because I love to read!
:D:D:D:D:D

So long story short (too late!), the books are definitely worth buying and reading. Dont' expect to go to Middle Earth, certainly, but every trip does not have to take you *there*! Only one set of books can do *that*!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BOOKS - mind you! Books! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Chocolate is God's way of making up for winter!
Phoenix_Valor

Post by Phoenix_Valor »

Well, I have mixed feelings about Eragon. I enjoyed the two books very much, and I'd like to read the final book once it comes out. However, I have a few issues.

He took many things from other literature, and even movies. The elves in Eragon are straight out of LoTR [except for the fact they're athiest -_-]
When Eragon got back to his house after flying with Saphira and sees it all burnned, I couldn't help thinking of Star Wars and how close this scene was to Luke returning to Skywalker ranch. Eragon's sword, Zaroc, pretty much represents Luke Skywalker's light sabre that used to belong to his dad [especially because of something that is revealed in one of the last scenes in Eldest]. The whole buisness with Eragon's back hurting from Durza, reminded me instantly of Harry's scar in Harry Potter. There are so many other things he used from other stories.

Also, I don't Eragon as a character nearly as much as I did when I read the first book. It was like he became perfect in Eldest. I liked his personality better in Eragon, when he had many more flaws as a person, and was someone who I could relate to more. I don't think a writer should ever 'perfectize' their main character the way Paolini did. He doesn't even seem real anymore, if you know what I mean. I find I like Roran alot more than Eragon, he seems more human to me.
Arya isn't on my favorites list either. As much as I adore Eragon's love for her, she isn't my tpe of character. I would like to see some non-formal interaction between her and Eragon. I want to see her in a better light.

Enough with my Simon Cowell act for now. If you're looking for a read as good as Tolkein or Rowling, this book might not be for you. If you're looking for just a good read that isn't as pro as other books, go ahead.

Please don't think I hate the inheritance trilogy, I just had a few quibbes. I like the series in general.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadow shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.
--Bilbo, FOTR