Pride and Prejudice: Adaptations of Austen

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

Well, here I am, doing it again! :D:D:D:D That dang movie is on, and I am cleaning my house, and I have to have *something* on that I can listen to, as I clean. Can't put on music, because I'll get engrossed in the music and not get a thing done, so I clean with TV in the background.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It;s at the part where Lady Catherine comes to visit...in the middle of the night...and makes that incomprehensible comment about the garden. I love this Lady Cathering. With her playing it, how could I not? But I hate the situation they created for it. The exchange happens very perfectly, though!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anyhow - it occurred to me, just a few minutes ago, that Lydia, in fact, is very like her father, isn't she?? If Lydia had been a boy, instead of a girl, wouldn't she be a very good reflection of her father? She pursues her own interests; she satisfies herself without a thought to the consequences for others around her. And Mr Bennet is very much like that. Had she been a boy, she would have secured the famly fortune again the entail, and I imagine her father would have recognized something of himself in the young man.

The only thing lacking to make her just exactly like him, really, is wit; intellect maybe?? She's not stupid; she is vapid, lazy, self involved; but she is not really stupid. Does Lydia really flout the "rules" any worse than her father??

Just occurred....oh crap. Lizzie just yelled at her mother, and now she's out walking in her nightie! This part chaps!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Chocolate is God's way of making up for winter!
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

Eh - but that's a gorgeous scene!! The sun rising, the fog lifting ,the handsome man walking along, coat billowing behind. He's pretty!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You know - it occurs to me, also, that they may be trying to demonstrate that these two have a lot in common, that they would have the same sleepless night, and choose to go walking in the same place, etc.

But I notice HE is not in his jammies! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

Grrrrr! Another "I hate this Mr Bennet" moment!! He's insisting to Lizzie that he *will* pay Mr Darcy back. Yuck yuck yuck!! :D:D:D:D

In the book, of course, he says he'll "offer" to do it, and that Mr. Darcy will rant and storm about how he will NOT have it, and then Mr. Bennet can let himself happily off the hook, to Mr Gardiner ,thus finishing up the last of the Lizzie fiasco, with no trouble to himself whatsoever.

Completely totally opposite to the book! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Wildwood :D you MUST stop this. It might cause long-term damage. Why, next thing you know? You'll think Faramir was right to take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. And then where would you be? :D

The scene with Lady Catherine was incomprehensibly stupid. Words fail me. Whatever her faults, Her Ladyship would not have showed up in the middle of the bloody night. People didn't travel much by night in those days, which movie makers never think about: there were no headlights, you know, just miserably inadequate lanterns hung on the carriage. People arranged their evening activities around the moon's phases. And often a man on foot would precede the carriage, carrying a lamp, if it was a local call.

Elizabeth jauntering about in her nightie was equally awful. I nearly wept with horror and disgust. :puke: :cry: or :cry: :puke:

Your take on Lydia is interesting, but I think she was more like her mother. Mrs. Bennet is equally selfish and every bit as much of a fool as Lydia. But maybe not so bold. Lydia isn't precisely stupid, but she's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I don't think she will ever develop her father's cold cynicism.

eta: but if you want an egregiously wrong-headed and bizarrely unsuitable Lady Catherine, watch the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson version. It is so awful, so terrible, so bad, that it makes the new one look wonderful by comparison. Nothing, nothing, nothing about that movie is pleasing, except that Olivier MIGHT have made a good Darcy if someone had told him something about the character. Greer Garson was so awful as Elizabeth . . . . old enough to play her own mother. The costumes were fabulous but of the wrong era.

And as for what they did with Lady Catherine? Well, you have to see it for yourself.
Dig deeper.
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

hahahahahaha! I promise you, I will NEVER have to worry about seeing anything to do with Osgiliath! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And I also won't be watching the Olivier version of P&P either. I have full faith in your opinion of it, and will -therefore - skip it. I believe you! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Has it ever happened to you that some person you know gets a whiff of something foul - say, a jug with sour milk in it - and then invites you to share in the misery, by saying "Whew - that stinks. Here - smell this..."

I never ever take anyone up on that offer! I believe 'em when they say it's bad. I don't have to experience it myself! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Lydia, then, is a combination of the worst of both her parents' qualities???
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Anyhow - it occurred to me, just a few minutes ago, that Lydia, in fact, is very like her father, isn't she?? If Lydia had been a boy, instead of a girl, wouldn't she be a very good reflection of her father? She pursues her own interests; she satisfies herself without a thought to the consequences for others around her. And Mr Bennet is very much like that.
That's a fascinating thought! :D
The only thing lacking to make her just exactly like him, really, is wit; intellect maybe?? She's not stupid; she is vapid, lazy, self involved; but she is not really stupid.
And we never really learn just how bright - or not! - he is, or do we?
He has a lot of sarcasm, that's all we know, but that's not the same as a good mind, is it?
Besides, he married a girl for what probably were pretty looks - how bright does that make him? :D

Eh - but that's a gorgeous scene!! The sun rising, the fog lifting ,the handsome man walking along, coat billowing behind. He's pretty!
:love: :D
But I notice HE is not in his jammies!
He had further to walk. :P

(Although I seem to remember he's in a state of 'dishabille', too. :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I agree that that scene is right purty, but otherwise I'm with vison. Wandering around in your nightclothes, in an era when a lady did not go outdoors without a hat and gloves?

The only thing worse is the ending they tacked on, apparently, just for North America, with Elizabeth and Darcy sitting half-dressed on the torchlit terrace at Pemberly, exchanging "romantic" dialogue that made me want to smack them both.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Well, she probably wouldn't literally run and play with big dogs the way she does in the BBC version, would she?
But there, IIRC, it was, in the opinion of the fans, to point out her 'down-to-earth nature' and all such things.

Why isn't it the same for the new movie?
No one is seeing her go out in her dressing-gown or nightclothes (not sure which it was), and she isn't going far, either - why isn't this just an illustration of her spontaneous and down-to-earth nature?
(Not to mention, of course, her state of mind, heartbroken for Mr Darcy.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

truehobbit wrote:Well, she probably wouldn't literally run and play with big dogs the way she does in the BBC version, would she?
But there, IIRC, it was, in the opinion of the fans, to point out her 'down-to-earth nature' and all such things.

Why isn't it the same for the new movie?
No one is seeing her go out in her dressing-gown or nightclothes (not sure which it was), and she isn't going far, either - why isn't this just an illustration of her spontaneous and down-to-earth nature?
(Not to mention, of course, her state of mind, heartbroken for Mr Darcy.)
Lizzy is a moral woman of great integrity who is also not afraid to flout the petty social conventions of her time. In the book, the Bingley sisters get their knickers in a twist about the way Lizzy marches over the fields and arrives at Netherfield with the hem of her gown encrusted in mud.

To which I can only say: Go Lizzy!

In the light of that particular book episode, and Jane Austen's delicious contempt for the snobbish stupidity that is the Sisters Bingley, I find it entirely plausible that BBC Lizzy plays around with a big dog. She's not half-dressed while she's doing it ;) and there is plenty of opportunity for her gown to get thoroughly muddy. :P

I concede that wandering about in a nightdress in the early hours of the morning waiting for her prince to show up might be taking things a bit further than even Book Lizzy would. ;)

By the way, have any of you seen THIS:

http://www.mcphee.com/items/11513.html

Isn't it absolutely priceless???? I so want a Jane Austen action figure!

:rofl:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I just spent twenty minutes on that site. :shock:

You can get Dickens as well. Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Freud. . . .

And at last I have sourced a brain-shaped Jell-O mold—and it's only eight bucks!

There is also a sparkly unicoorn set that comes with three soft plastic figures including a suited boss and a mime that are designed to be impaled on the horn.

Deeply, deeply sick, Di, and I love ya for it. :love: Christmas at my house will never be the same again.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Glad to have been of service, Prim! :halo:

I must confess I hadn't realised quite how sick the site was. Jesus action figures?! :shock: :puke: :P Far too silly to be offensive, although I still wouldn't buy one.

Freud and Jane Austen and unicorns and punching rabbis, possibly. :D

Posy Simmonds, who has done the most fantastic satirical cartoons for The Guardian for decades, did a delicious cartoon about Jane Austen in her Literary Life cartoon strip. It was all about Jane returning to earth from heaven and being extremely unimpressed with the 21st century marketing of her timeless novels. The low point was Jane being interviewed on national TV about Colin Firth's sexiness. Jane returns to her heavenly abode, profoundly relieved to leave all the silliness behind her.

I can't seem to find this anywhere archived on the internet, alas, but if I do ... I'll post it up. It was wonderful.

http://magicpencil.britishcouncil.org/artists/simmonds/
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula Baggins wrote:I just spent twenty minutes on that site. :shock:

You can get Dickens as well. Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Freud. . . .

And at last I have sourced a brain-shaped Jell-O mold—and it's only eight bucks!

There is also a sparkly unicoorn set that comes with three soft plastic figures including a suited boss and a mime that are designed to be impaled on the horn.

Deeply, deeply sick, Di, and I love ya for it. :love: Christmas at my house will never be the same again.
O, Primula. How have you endured life without a brain-shaped Jello mold? You poor woman. Had I only known!!!!! I should instantly --- instantly I say --- post haste, so to speak --- have entrusted the US Postal Service, in conjunction with Canada Post --- with a package, and sent mine to you. It has provided good service for Lo these many years . . . . :D

No, I lie. I don't have a brain-shaped Jello mold. But my neighbour used to make anatomically correct Gingerbread men.

They were -- um --- awkward to eat. :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You run with a fast crowd, vison. :shock:
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Pearly Di wrote:

In the light of that particular book episode, and Jane Austen's delicious contempt for the snobbish stupidity that is the Sisters Bingley, I find it entirely plausible that BBC Lizzy plays around with a big dog. She's not half-dressed while she's doing it ;) and there is plenty of opportunity for her gown to get thoroughly muddy. :P

I concede that wandering about in a nightdress in the early hours of the morning waiting for her prince to show up might be taking things a bit further than even Book Lizzy would. ;)
A bit further maybe - but I think that given her spontaneous outbursts of disregard for high style, I don't think you can condemn the new movie all that much for showing her walking out of the house a few paces in the wee small hours when no one is around (she's definitely not waiting for her prince :P ) and she's trying to handle the storms that must be going on in her heart. :D

ROFL - I love the Jane Austen action figure! :D
Some cool stuff there!
So - did anyone else print out the downloadable fold-up piano...? :whistle: :D
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

Another thought just occurred....the movie was just on again and I couldnt find anything more enticing to watch, while cleaning the kitchen, so I watched/listened again!

Here is what crossed my mind: the Mrs Bennet in the new movie reminds me less of Austen's Mrs. Bennet and MORE of Fanny Price's Mother in Mansfield Park!!!

What do you say to that?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Now, here's an eye opener, and no mistake:

"Classic books strike back! British book lovers have picked Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice as the book they simply "couldn't live without," placing it above gripping blockbusters like J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series." (from the "Knowledge News".
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Some good news I picked up, can't remember where, and meant to post here: the same writer who did the 1995 P&P is working on a similar adaptation of Sense and Sensibility!

I think that is wonderful news. :love:
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

That is great news, Prim!

I just rented the Masterpiece Theatre version of 'Wives and Daughters' and enjoyed it very much.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Primula Baggins wrote:Some good news I picked up, can't remember where, and meant to post here: the same writer who did the 1995 P&P is working on a similar adaptation of Sense and Sensibility!

I think that is wonderful news. :love:
Yeah, it won't have Hugh Grant's insufferable Edward in it!!!

=:) :halo: =:) :halo:

Actually, I love the 1996 Ang Lee movie of S&S (apart from Hugh). Kate Winslet is superb as Marianne. Emma Thompson is too old as Elinor, but ... well, it's a great performance. Edward ... I just wanted to machine-gun him. What a DORK. Oh, get those repressed British emotions out of the way, for the luvva PETE, man. :rage:

I am planning to see Becoming Jane this weekend. Frankly it looks like a film stuffed with every single British Costume Drama cliche in the book. Maggie Smith, Julie Walters ... say no more. Why aren't Helen Mirren and Judi Dench in this movie too? :D Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen? Anne is fabulously beautiful. Wasn't dear Jane supposed to be frumpy and grumpy? :D

Oh well. James McAvoy is in it (Mr Tumnus!! from Narnia!! and so good in 'The Last King of Scotland') so that's good enough for me. He's a cutie-pie! =:) :love:

There's a whole raft of new Jane Austens out on TV, it looks like.

Billie Piper as Fanny Price??? :suspicious: Not that I've read Mansfield Park for about 26 years, and can't remember much about it. Billie was good in the BBC adaptation of Phillip Pullman's 'The Ruby in the Smoke' (shown over Christmas) but Fanny Price?????
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wait just a gol-durn minute here.

Billie Piper? As Fanny Price?

Billie "Rose Tyle in Doctor Who" Piper?

As . . . Fanny Price.

I mean, I really like the actress, but she . . . she. . . .

Isn't she a little, er, ripe to play ethereal, ascetic little Miss Fanny?

(How were the reviews?)