Music videos and movies (fixed the title :) )

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Music videos and movies (fixed the title :) )

Post by Hachimitsu »

*Long monster post, you can skip the smaller writing if you wish*
I had been wanting to start a thread on music videos for some time but I was kind of afraid to since sometimes I find people view videos as something quite superfluous.

One day I saw a video that I felt was a bit disturbing. The song is You’re Beautiful by this singer called James Blunt. I was quite surprised at the end when he jumps off a cliff. I then talked on IM to Mossy about since I was in a ‘mood’ about it. Particularly since I couldn’t find anything that acknowledged in some way that this video is about suicide to a degree. *rant rant rant to Mossy*. Since I was studying for exams late at night sometimes I watch music videos since it seems they are the only thing on that late. I kept running into that one. Such a lovely song with such a ‘different’ music video to accompany it (not to mention for a debut artist). Sometimes I find that if something is bothering me I need to research it. So that is what did. I then ended up finding this site. It’s a site which profiles directors for a particular media company. I didn’t even know sites like this existed!!! I never really thought about the thought process behind directors and music videos before. I then ended up checking out Sam Brown's (The director of the cliff jumping video ) other video work. Hearing some of his thoughts and concepts on videos I was like cool!! I never would have thought of that. I also heard his explanation of the concept of the You’re beautiful video and it made me feel a little bit better about it. I also checked out this Sam Brown’s other work for the song called High since I knew there was a European version of that video for that particular song and it had alcohol induced visions (I remember the singer being buried in sand, some vodka , a desert and some other really messed up things.) It was an OK video but I find sometimes being literal or obvious may not be the best route to go with these sort of things .(Sometimes obvious can be really boring, although it does take me a while to figure out symbolism. You would not believe how long it took me to figure out that the TV show Buffy The Vampire Slayer was about a teenage girl growing up and fighting her demons :oops: ). Anyway Sam Brown had said he wanted 2 different videos for High running concurrently, one for the verses and one for the choruses. I thought it was a fascinating reinterpretation of the same song. I never would have thought of that. I found myself really liking Sam Brown’s style of doing things, simple and understated. I looked at a video of his that featured the actress Mischa Barton and she’s a pretty girl. He made her look even prettier.

* Above was a long boring introduction on how I go to the subject of movies and music videos*

So anyway I am talking to Mossy about how I never knew about websites that profiled directors and their music videos. I ended up commenting on how Michel Gondry (director of the movie of Eternal Sunshine if the Spotless mind.) had done music videos. I had heard about it from an interview with Elijah Wood, but I had never thought about the videos Gondry actually had done. If anyone has seen Eternal Sunshine you can see Gondry uses quite a bit of experimental and in house techniques in the movie. :love: Also, I had recently seen a band basically imitate the poster shot from the movie as a concept for their music video (the couple lying down on the ice) It was like video to movie to video. ( I really love Eternal Sunshine)

I then thought how do directors first get directing oppourtunities? I mean they don’t just instantly get a movie deal from nothing. Music videos would be a perfect way to try creative and experimental stuff in a 5 minute format with music. I decided to look up some of Gondry’s videos, I then find out he did some really cool and fabulous stuff!!
So anyway Mossy and I checked out some videos by Michel Gondry.
Kylie Minogue come in to my World. (I watched carefully and noticed even the extras have the same ‘effect’ that Kylie has). Just like with Eternal Sunshine I want to know how Gondry did it!!! No one bumps into each other!
'Come Into My World'

The White Stripes –Fell In love with a girl. A music video made with Legos. I have only seen this video a couple of times and I always thought why the heck would anyone use lego for a music video? Where does that outside of the box idea come from? (Not to mention I felt sorry for the lego person who had to build all those pieces).
"The White Stripes music is so basic - drum, guitars and voice - so I thought using three primary colors worked. I thought the crudeness of Lego would represent them well," says Gondry.
Linky

I never would have thought of that, but now with that explanation it makes total sense! He found the perfect way to visually represent the band's music. Like Mossy had said (in our chat), it’s like magic!!!!!

The third video is with the White stripes again with the song, The hardest button to button
I feel sorry for whoever had to carry all of that stuff. But it's really cool!!

For some reason knowing that Gondry did all these cool and creative videos make me appreciate his movie work even more. I now really appreciate music videos as a way for new directors to get started and open more avenues of creativity for visual entertainment. I really like the idea of collaboration and different ideas for the same song coming into play. Now I kind of think of music videos as companions to the music just like Soundtracks are companions to movies, rather then thinking of them just as advertisements.

Also, when I was reading up on this subject I came across a DVD series called the Directors Label series. Which features work of music video directors. (They have now reached volume 7, I already know what I want for Christmas next year ;) ).

So I wanted to ask what do my fellow board members think of music videos? Does anyone think they influence movie making? Even making movies better? What do you think of music videos as a genre on it’s own? I have used more pop music and current examples in my post, but I do know classical music videos exist (although I never catch them). So basically what my post is about is I would like to open a discussion on music videos and how they influence other forms of visual entertainment.

To finish off this post, one of my favourite videos. :love:

Edit to update some links
Last edited by Hachimitsu on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What a great post, Wilma! I'm afraid I don't have anything to add or even respond to, because it is world that I am completely outside of (the time that I haven't had a TV connected to the outside world is roughly equivalent to the time that MTV has existed) but I found it really fascinating. Thank you. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well Voronwë if you hooked up your TV now you may get less videos then you'd imagine. It seems most music video oriented channels have drifted away from actually playing videos. They usually have reality shows and 'it lists' and programming along those lines. I have only heard about it occuring on the US channels (VH1 and MTV) and it has defintiely occured with the Canadian channels, MuchMusic and especially MuchMoreMusic (they only play videos after 3:30 in the morning!!!! :x ). I can at least see videos on MuchMusic (the more youth oritented channel ) but for MuchMoreMusic I have heard soemtimes one has to launch email campaigns to get the channel to play something. Sadly it comes with our basic cable subscription so there is no way we can drop the channel although it isn't worth the subscription. They even play movies. I can understand having musicals but they play movies that have absolutely nothing to do with music!!!

I was reading in Rolling Stone that since music channels had been drifting away from playing music videos, record companies had decided not to invest as much money in them since until recently music videos only were considered as a promotional tool. With the launch of the Ipod (with video screen), the Itunes music store has been selling music videos as a seperate product and have been making money. This has really opened the eyes of record companies as music videos can become a new source of money. There is hope that music videos will get an influx of cash and creativity. :)

If anyone has seen the movie Constantine very early in the movie they basically copy the last shot of the music video for Rabbit in Your Headlights (the video came out several years ago).
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well I finally decided to get back to this thread. I thought I would point out some recent trends in music videos.

One of them being a keleidoscopic screen as used in Coldplay's "Speed of sound", and Yellowcard's "Lights and sounds". You can also see which band can afford the more expensive screen.

My Chemical Romance and Kasabian seem to like to share outfits since they are wearing basiacally the same costumes for the vids "Welcome to the black parade", "Famous last words" and Kasabian's "Empire" (warning there is violent content in the Kasabian vid)

I went with google links to the vids themselves as I tried to make screencaps and ... that did not go too well. Don't feel obligated to watch the entire vids. ;)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I decided to do a post on a group called OK Go. One of their videos at one point was the most downloaded video on the internet. It never got played on TV but boy it's gets alot of views. It's basicaalyy the group dancing in the backyard to their single Million ways but it's just so cute!! I don't know a ton about OK GO but some band members sister did the chreography. What is especially sweet is if an interviewer asls they will perforn the dance right then and there. This video is a perfect example of viral marketing can be succesful. On top of that the video only cost 25- 50 bucks to make!!!
A Million Ways

Here is a professional video done for their song Do what you want. It is directed by Olivier Gondry, Michel Gondry's younger brother. I love how the comera moves follow the beat of the music. (Warning, this video has sharp camera moves and may cause motion sickness.)

OK Go revisits their viral marketing by having a vid in the same vein as a million ways. This time with treadmills!!!! On top of that they performed it live at the MTV music video awards. :D
Here it Goes Again

Enjoy!!!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeah, saw those OK Go vids a good while back and really they are amongst the best videos ever. And I mean that! So delightfully fun and charming and funny, I love it! And I also love the subtle, possibly-unintentional implication that just cuz you're nerdy and white doesn't mean you shouldn't groove to the music. Get up and dance people!!!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hurray! I just got a new album from a wonderful band called The Go! Team. In honor of that, here's an awful video for one of their fun, dancy, delightful songs:

The Go! Team - Ladyflash
-The Decemberists

Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

OK I though I would bump up this thread since I was stunned to see Hedly doing sort or a remake /homage (?) video with their song Never Too Late. They copy the Duran Duran video for Rio!!! I saw it and I don't know whether to think of it as a homage or not. All I really thought was sacrilige!!! They even did the cheeky wink. I should point out here that I really don't like Hedley

Rio by Duran Duran (looking at it now that was pretty racy)

Hedley's Never too late Also I think the song does not go with the concept of the vid. Ugh.

:scratch: :help:

Also since Fiest won 5 Juno's on Sunday I thought I would post a couple of Feist vids I really really like.

Mushaboom
I like how she is flying in the air and a lady keeps trying to pull her down. Ain't that the way life goes. I also really really really like the houseplant at the end, it's so cute.

Feel it All
Feist frolicking around in a field of fireworks. It looks so cute and care free but was probabaly really dangerous. Especially since it looks like it was all done in one shot. There had to be some sort of planning or choreography there.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Alright I am gonna post some more vids.

If people have nothing to say at least post what you thought of the vid. I know Yovi posted a really cool Bjork vid on B77 and it was amazing!!!

Now ummm

First I have decided to post about a Neverending White Lights. It's a Canadian group/concept directed by Daniel Victor. For the CDs Daniel plays and performs all the instruments himself. Then he gets a lead singer from another band to sing the vocals for the song. The perfect example for this The Grace sung by Dallas Green (of City and Colour and Alexisonfire) The song sung by Dallas Green is very different from his usual stuff with Alexisonfire. Also the ending scene for the video matches the cover art for the cd of Neverending White Lights.

If no one gets it, the guy who sews (Daniel Victor) is trying to literally turn the girl into an Angel. He figures out half way through the vid.

I think the 2 vids after that continue the story but I won't post them here unless people ask me to. Also I like how in the first 3 videos no one is shown singing. The women in the 3 videos are all Canadian musicians.

Wikipedia link to Neverending White Lights

Now because the lead singers are all different it's kind of hard to go on tour, with no band and different lead singers. For his first album Daniel Victor got a band and he would do the lead vocals himself with one guest vocalist (whoever was in the area he was touring). Also for all the songs he wrote different arrangements for the tour, so the songs heard live are actually different from the CD. I went to one concert of his and it was amazing and it was cool hearing a song I thought I knew reinvented. Also the guest Vocalist was very cool too.

I haven't been following Neverending White Lights for their/his second CD but I finally discovered with this vid, Always that Daniel sings some songs for the CD himself. (He still has guest vocalists though.)

Another one of his vids emulates the cover art from his second CD and has Melissa Auf der Maur(from Hole and Smashing Pumpkins, she's Canadian too) as the guest vocalist. It's a more dark Gothy traditional music video. (I'll post that if anyone asks). Also I found out one of his songs were featured on Grey's Anatomy (which I was desperately hoping for, Grey's Anatomy although it's a soapy drama is well known for their great musical selections.)

EDIT: Some parts of this post did not seem to go through the first time.
Last edited by Hachimitsu on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Hi Wilma! :)
I do love your topic! Honestly! I had to wrestle with myself whether or not to post since I've avoided the boards for awhile but reading your posts. You win! ;)

Anyways, I love the music videos I grew up with. I'm in my early 30's.:P
Man, I agree with you Headley doing a "Rio - Duran2" is a sacrilage! I do not like Headley. :rage: Rio is one of my fave videos of all time. (My fave song, though.) I think Duran2 has the best videos in the 80's it has a theme, a story and it actually relates to their songs/albums. Like the video Rio it can be an extension of the song Girls on Film. :P I still have my Rio LP back in TO and if I'm not mistaken the songs are mostly about "high strung women". In fact, even the movie and fashion industry in the 80's were about powerful women, you know movies like Working Girls, even Flashdance, you know the song Maneater by Hall and Oats is from that movie about a woman welder who is an aspiring dancer. Even Billy Joel's Uptown Girl is about a glamourous woman. (I fell in love with Christie Brinkley in that video. :love: , still am.) Most of the girls Duran 2 used in their videos are super models and they don't have to be scantly clad to do the video and it works.

Most of the bands and singers in the 80's music videos are wearing suits, influenced by Duran 2, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, The Cure and other European groups. I've also noticed they go to exotic location shoots like Bali for Duran2's Save a Prayer, India I think for Wild Boys, Rio was actually filmed in Brazil I think or Hong Kong, not sure. So I always look forward to Duran2 videos because of the location shoots and special effects. I love their Hungry Like the Wolf video, with the full moon and the howling, man, reminded me of a Hitchcock horror flick, you have Wild Boys, which reminded me of Mel Gibson's/Tina Turner movie Thunderdome was it, it was like straight out of a sf movie, Save a Prayer, looks like an exotic jungle movie. They were consistent, it's either you go to a location or do it in a studio. Depeche Mode and the Cure's music video are very consistent as well. DM has this SF, next generation, Blade Runner feel to it, while The Cure was dark yet quirky.

I love Michael Jackson's music video's as well, man, they are very well done very consistent. His Off the Wall album music videos were a glimpse of the next generation, more improved MJ music videos which started the whole choreographed dancing routine. Everybody likes Thriller but I love Beat It, the best. It was like watching a musical but more entertaining. I learned or not learned how to dance because of those videos. Hehehehehe....

I was into rap already at that time, it was just starting to emerge in the spotlight. The rap videos were more about social injustice, human rights, racism etc... Hey, Bobby Brown was wearing a suit when he sang "My Prerogative". I like that song. The Beastie Boys videos were so so at that time. Unlike now, it's all about the bling and skin. Don't get me wrong I love listening to rap and R&B, but I don't care much about the videos they make. The only rap videos I really like were Eminem's. (The only rap artist I paid a ticket to watch. :help: Yes, even Princess can't believe I was there.)

I know a few music video directors who started out doing commercial ads on TV then moved on to MTV, like you said it's a selling point of artists.

Duran2 videos has influenced me a lot and two of my best friends, besides the music, fashion but also getting us interested in doing short films on the side for fun. We never pursued it further, but one, got into the Ryerson U film school and is now a cameraman.

I've seen a very good country music video, the one about best friends going to the war zone and one of them died and you don't know who it was until the end, wow, it was very powerful, almost brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. It started with a phone call, then goes to this flashback scene, wow, it was like watching a short movie. Princess loves country music and she would put it on the CMT countdown and I watch sometimes. :oops: :help: I don't get to watch BET and Much Music anymore these days been very busy.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Wilma wrote: I was reading in Rolling Stone that since music channels had been drifting away from playing music videos, record companies had decided not to invest as much money in them since until recently music videos only were considered as a promotional tool. With the launch of the Ipod (with video screen), the Itunes music store has been selling music videos as a seperate product and have been making money. This has really opened the eyes of record companies as music videos can become a new source of money. There is hope that music videos will get an influx of cash and creativity. :)
I think the problem is Wilma is that there is indeed a niche market but the creativity is lacking. Gone are the days when music companies go out of their way and go to exotic locations or come up with a storyboard or get a famous director to direct it because of the advent of the YOU TUBE. Anybody can just easily create their own music video for free, no need to pay thousands of dollars, just as long as you have a camera and presto, you are your own director. What I am trying to say is, it's not an "art" anymore. I haven't seen a video that made me want to watch it over and over again yet.

Oh, a good example is Aha's Take on Me! Man, when that video came out, we had to record it, cause it looks like it was straight out of a comic book. Our jaws just dropped when we saw it, we were figuring out how they did it. It's like seeing the Superbowl half time commercials you actually look forward to it. Nowadays, kids wants to see the dance steps in the video or the fashion not how brilliant the video was, IMHO. That is why they are downloading it. Why do you think Madonna and JT's video Thirty Seconds is so popular, it's nothing but dance moves, that's all.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well what about Missy Elliot? She really changed Hip hop music videos for women. She was the opposite of the hip hop "video girls" (I know there is another term for it). She basically determined the look of music videos for the 90's with bright cartoon colouring, lights and camera angles with her vid The Rain I remember reading an article years ago about that video and how since Missy wasn't a skinny girl they were looking for something "different" to make a good music video. Things like the blown up garbage bag outfit and the wind tunnel were really different and risky. Also since then Missy has always tried to make her videos interesting. (Even though she has lost weight after getting an intervention/lecture from her doctor.)

I find Eminem is more about conscious rap, but also Dr. Dre did help him get a lot of credibilty in the rap world as I think he almost would have been compared to Vanillla Ice (which he wouldn't deserve). He is controversial to some people although deep down he is trying to be a good guy (he even got married to his ex-wife again for the sake of the kids, although that didn't work out).

Thank you so much for posting. I never knew you liked music videos. :love:

A lot of modern music videos are just dance moves but some videos with dance moves are trying to recapture some of the greatness of the 80's. I know Usher tried with having plots and movie like atmosphere and story.

I also totally agree with you how early rap was about social justice and story and older rap music and music videos appeal to me greatly. Even controversial ones.

If you get the links post some links!!

I will confess I rarely watch BET. For years I didn't watch it. I felt it supported the stereotypical black person gangsta image and I am totally not like that. (One friend confessed to me I was the whitest black person she ever knew when she was first getting to know me. I told her she didn't know black people. After spending more time with me and seeing how I got money back after the Anime North Hotal fiasco she has totally changed her mind ;) ) Also I am a West Indian Black person not an American Black person and the cultures are different. I really felt BET didn't reflect all black people. Now occasionally I will take a peek at BET. There is actually some decent programming but I still avoid a lot of music videos they play although they are one of the few channels that supports music videos.

I am a little bit younger then you, so music videos was my first introduction to pop culture. With Aha and Take on me yeah I think that was one of the first event videos I saw. It was amazing. It's one of those videos where you can't turn away from since it is so amazing.

I was thinking about doing a post on videos like that but I haven't had the time and I wanted a couple more comments. Particularly from people who haven't seen many since I would've liked to know what they thought. I think I will post it in my next video post.

If there is one program on Much Music you should try if you have the time, it's Video on Trial. It's a comedy show where they critique videos old and new. Good vids and bad. It's more about the comedy as it takes a lot of talent to make fun of a good video, but it highlights critical thinking when watching a vid. It's not all just totally eye candy. It's be around for a good while as it's a ratings hit.
Sadly Much Music has drifted away from music videos. Especially after they got bought by CTV. Now The OC is constantly rerun, and they actually changed the date the music video countdown is debuted. For 20 years it's always been on Friday prime time. Now they have changed it to Thursday and on Friday they air movies that are pretty much garbage :x :rage: :help: The Wedge where they air avant garde, and new music videos, is almost just about gone. I think they air it Fridays at midnight. They used to air it daily. That is where I saw some vids I would never have seen other wise. :rage: :rage: :rage:

I occasionally take a peek at CMT (country music network). I am not really into country music though.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Will reply later. Packing for a business trip today.

One of my fave videos
Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6Cr5LZStE
There are two versions, this one is with Simone LeBon, the one that was like a Hitchcock movie was Roger Taylor (the drummer) I think as the lead actor. I can't find the video.

Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mrq1PNS3w

Take on Me - Aha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3zbKRCHqvo

Pale Shelter- Tears for Fears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTn4o2Z-vZU

Mad World - Tears for Fears
The best dance moves I've ever seen. Yes, I did learn to dance that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRib_aAQFQ
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

My fave R&B videos from my fave singer Mary J. Blige:
Rainy Days with Ja Rule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZr4dVm4qGc

No more Drama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9uCiPBIWc

Family Affair - Best Club Scene video ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1tsN1KmJA
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I was just looking at this thread thinking about a post for the future and I realized I did a horrible thing. I forgot to post an amazing video. If there is one video everyone should see it's this video. It's 6 minutes out of your life that is totally worth it.

I think 4:40 I one of my most favourite parts.

Please Watch
Glosoli by Sigur Ros

I even love one of the you tube comments, where someones teacher made them watch it for art class. I wish I had a teacher that cool.

(Please comment if you watch.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeah, that's one of my favorites. Sigur Ros is so :)
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

:shock: That's some creepy stuff. I need to watch it some more. 8)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The frame at 3:26 = :shock: :shock: :shock:

Love it. 8)
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yes, it's creepy! I'm thinking I'll have some nightmares tonight! :rofl: