The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
TORN

The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

Post by TORN »

. . . I had given leave to my alter-ego PJ-Shill (and, of course, wherever PJ-Shill goes, so goes EAL) to lurk at the accursed TORC, whereupon the two immediately began to act well beyond their carefully delimited mandate, revealing their presence and, after a short while, actually posting there. In any event, they have reported back to me of laughable rumors of The Hobbit film being seen on some sort of studio schedule (based on a sad pathetic excuse of a report posted at that sad pathetic excuse of a messageboard which has the misfortune of sharing my own name, short a capital) for 2007. PJ-Shill informed me that he went so far as to reveal to lost and forlorn denizens of TORC the sad trail of misinformation that has twisted its way through various websites to the point that The Hobbit was being reported as scheduled to make it to the screen in 2010 or so. Having thought his job was done, he left for a day of frivolity wherever it is that he is frivolous, only to find when he returned that someone had posted a link to someone who had quoted a Variety article saying that MGM is hoping to release a number of "tent pole" movies over the coming years, including The Hobbit in one or two installments. There's something over a CHUD at http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=7582. Don't know what it's worth. Just saying . . .
Last edited by TORN on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I saw that sad pathetic rumor as well, TORN, and laughed a mocking laugh, ha! ha!, like that. Summer 2007? Someone obviously had been smoking something that was not oregano.

Your CHUD link, though, is intriguing. If negotiations have reached the point where a studio is willing to say they're counting on making a film, then maybe we will indeed see THE HOBBIT.

In two parts, though? What on Earth? I can see wanting to get the maximum benefit from this almost-guaranteed major hit, but will the story sustain it? I can only guess that they're assuming PJ et al. will pack in a lot of other events in Middle-earth that weren't discussed in THE HOBBIT, such as what Sauron was up to and more about Elves.

Oh dear—we might have to make a whole new forum for it here. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Being young and innocent, I believe everything I read, such as this, though I don't really understand it. Its presence here is adequate proof of its verity.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Speaking of highly controversial moves, TORN, would you mind if I slid this over to the Shibboleth forum? That's where the other Tolkien film discussion has been.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Two parts, huh? I suppose once you add Arwen and Aragorn, Legolas, The White Council....

ttbk
TORN

Post by TORN »

Had I a mind left, I would have put it there myself . . . I hesitated only because the discussion there is fairly serious, as opposed to the triffling nature of this thread . . . but please go ahead and move it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Shibboleth is for all things Tolkien-related, including lighter stuff. So I'll move it over—thanks! I'll leave a shadow here for a while.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Hehe, how old would Aragorn be? Bilbo is 50 in the Hobbit, and 111 (or so) in LotR, so even with creative history, the movie would be limited by that.

Movie-Aragorn gives his age as 87 or 88 to Éowyn the TT:EE, so he could be in his 20s if they ignored the fact that 17 years are supposed to pass between Bilbo's b-day party and the rest of the movie. (So, in reality, he should be a 10 year old boy!)

So, I guess there is room for a young Aragorn in Rivendell!

Arwen should be in Lothlórien the year Bilbo visits, but that is silly book purism, and not necessary for the movie. ;)

I kinda like the idea of Bilbo being 'in' on Aragorn and Arwen as a couple, but have no real desire to see that in a movie.

The only improvement I want to see on the Rankin/Bass cartoon (other than music and graphics) are Beorn and the Arkenstone.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If they do go for two films, I don't see how they can do anything except add in those parts of the story—which as you say, do fit the film chronology nicely enough.

I'm willing to bet that PJ will want the HOBBIT films to be a seamless part of his whole LotR cycle—that there won't be the same difference in tone that marks the book as "more for kids" than LotR. Aragorn and Arwen meeting and falling in love would be an obvious addition (whether it's what we want to see or not ;) ). Some compensation for purists might be seeing the parts of the story that haven't been adapted before, because PJ will need it all.

I would bet that they'll be considerably darker and scarier than the book (which does have its dark and scary parts).

It wouldn't bother me to see the same actors as Gandalf (of course!), Elrond, and Arwen. I don't want to see Legolas, though it's probably unavoidable.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't want to see Legolas, though it's probably unavoidable.
Me neither, but who am I to gainsay the legions of fangirls. :D

I have said this long ago on TORC - they could fairly easily substitute Legolas for Bard. There were some Wood Elves in Lake-town when Bilbo and the dwarves arrived, so who's to say that Legolas wasn't among them? I'd rather see Bard, though. I just hope PJ doesn't send Aragorn with Bilbo. :scarey:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I can't see Bloom singing "Tra la lalee, Down in the valley" or whatever it was those woodelves were singing.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:rofl: What a cheesy moment that would be! But no...it was the elves of Rivendell who greeted Bilbo with that song. Legolas simply could not be there.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Might be an idea to title this thread appropriately. I was just about to post the same news, and looked for a title about the Hobbit movie. It was just chance that made me look in here before posting.

Here's what they have to say on TORC
Variety (via comingsoon.net): In a Variety article talking about MGM's move back into the tentpole business, the trade mentions a few highly-anticipated projects that are in the works:

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interestingly, they could ramp up the White Council, with Gandalf's recounting of his time in the dungeon of the Necromancer, along with his discovery that the Necromancer was not, indeed, the Witchking, but rather Sauron. It would be a wonderful opportunity to show Saruman's ambition (while still initially faithful to the council) and to demontrate his fall to the "dark side". Then George Lucas could take notes.

I for one would love to see Christopher Lee following a subtle character arc, with his inevitable fall known only to the audience, while the remaining protaganists are ignorant of it. He would end the movie with knowledge of the ring's loss at the Gladden Fields and playing a dangerous double game with Sauron.

But alas, I think I'm deluding myself.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just here to say that I think this would be totally super freakin' awesome. :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Impenitent wrote::rofl: What a cheesy moment that would be! But no...it was the elves of Rivendell who greeted Bilbo with that song. Legolas simply could not be there.
Yeah, Legolas would probably be delighting in locking up Thorin & Co. in his father's dungeons. =:)
Bolg of the North

Post by Bolg of the North »

My wishlist for the Hobbit is short, just 2 items. ( don't expect much and you won't be disappointed ) ;)

1. If PJ & company do work on the movie, no goblins climbing the walls like spiders.

2. Include the 'chance meeting' of Gandalf and Thorin in Bree that is written about in Appendix A part III of LOTR.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It it ok if they climb walls like roaches?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Bolg of the North wrote:My wishlist for the Hobbit is short, just 2 items. ( don't expect much and you won't be disappointed ) ;)

1. If PJ & company do work on the movie, no goblins climbing the walls like spiders.

2. Include the 'chance meeting' of Gandalf and Thorin in Bree that is written about in Appendix A part III of LOTR.
I definitely second both of those wishes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Bolg of the North

Post by Bolg of the North »

yovargas wrote:It it ok if they climb walls like roaches?
Only if they have ropes and grappling hooks :P