TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Maria »

Watching season 3 of "Picard" is getting to be onerous. The number of errors due to basic facts of being in space seem to increase with each episode. :bang:

Also I'm finding this very irritating:
Hidden text.
The plastic surgery done to the faces of the actresses who portray Deanna Troi and Beverly Crusher seems to me to be particularly horrible. Every time Beverly has a line, I'm pulled out of the moment, filled with horror at what they've done to her face. What's wrong with honest wrinkles? The male actors have plenty of them and it's OK. I keep thinking back to the movie, "Star Trek Insurrection" where the villains have super stretched facial skin and wondering how they'd compare to that. (I just looked up old pics from that movie, though, and it isn't the same sort of stretch.)

Oh, and also... how the heck did a *doctor* in that day and age accidentally get pregnant? It had to be a deliberate act. Maybe the rest of the series will shed some light on that.
Anyway, so far I'm wishing I'd stopped at season 2. :(
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

If you are looking for hard science fiction, you are in the wrong place. Star Trek is space opera, and it's good at it. I try not to puzzle out the lack of scientific accuracy, such as why people aren't squashed flat every time they accelerate. I don't buy the whole "inertial damper" thing, since these same dampers seem to go mysteriously off line, resulting in people dramatically flying all over the bridge, whenever the ship is hit by a particularly hard beam of light. So I choose not to think about it. It's like when I watch Game of Thrones and start to wonder about the aerodynamics of a dragon, then say "wait a minute - it's a dragon - this is not reality". Just go along for the ride :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I prefer space opera that has decent science in it. :P I dropped out of StarTrek Discovery very early on, due to their idiotic spore drive.

Another thing I dislike about the Picard third season, is that the writers seem to have a near complete lack of understanding on how the chain of command works. That wasn't terribly obvious in the first two seasons, but it is a great, big, glaring wrongness in season 3.

As far as inertial dampeners go-- if one can have artificial gravity, one can have inertial dampeners. They are the same sort of thing. And if the inertial dampeners were only partially overloaded, then the people wouldn't get instantly squished to jelly on a back wall due to suddenly experiencing the real accelerations going on. That's one thing that doesn't bother me about the series.

Many other things do. :rage:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Slow Horses

Gary Oldman is just superb.

And the trailer doesn't do justice to the series. We're half way through seaon 2 now.

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Slow Horses is Fab. Picard and Discovery on the other hand... so disappointing.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Love Slow Horses!

Rewatched the three seasons of Reservation Dogs while we had a Binge subscription.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins