The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The much too early 2024 election thread

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Pollster Sarah Long says she:

"Just did a focus group with swing voters (Trump 2016, Biden 2020). No one had heard anything about Trump calling Hezbollah 'very smart.' Only one person had seen Biden's speech on Israel. Most were interested in voting for third party candidates."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is a very concerning trend.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And this, even more so.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Fundraising is often not a good predictor of results, but I think she is going down this time (she should have lost last time).

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Perhaps it should be noted that Taylor Swift isn't old enough to be president:

(I have no idea whether either of those verified accounts is actually Grimes, the experimental pop singer who once was close to Elon Musk.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Take this for what it is worth (i.e, very little if anything), but it is interesting that it suggests that Kennedy would significantly hurt Trump/help Biden.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Rep. Debbie Lesko, a Republican from a very Republican district in Arizona, has announced that she won't seek reelection next year, citing the difficulty of caring for her 94-year-old mother in Arizona while spending 75% of her time in D.C., which she describes as "broken." Lesko came to Congress from the Arizona state senate in 2018 after winning a special election to replace Rep. Trent Franks, who resigned in 2017 after the House Ethics Committee said he would be investigated for sexual harassment based on allegations that he had asked two female employees, one of whom he reportedly offered $5 million, to have his babies as surrogate mothers.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Not sure where to put this as I'm not into much in the way of social media, but it seems that Biden/the Biden administration (Dark Brandon?) opened an account on Truth Social.
President Biden’s campaign said it had joined Truth Social “mostly because we thought it would be very funny.”
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think any comment about this is necessary.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:18 pm This is a very concerning trend.
As that post notes, Republicans did very well last week in state elections in Louisiana, where the incumbent conservative Democrat governor, John Bel Edwards, was term-limited from seeking reelection. He will be succeeded by the state's Republican attorney general, Jeff Landry. They also have a legislative supermajority.

Edwards first won in 2015. Today he revealed in his monthly radio address that in 2019, then-President Donald Trump told him that if he switched parties, Trump would campaign for him. He wouldn't have to change any of his policy positions; he only needed to announce that he was a Republican (as West Virginia governor Jim Justice did just months after taking office in 2017). Edwards declined and won reelection anyway over the Republican that Trump did endorse.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Bloomberg reports that Donald Trump leads Joe Biden in most swing states.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:45 pm Bloomberg reports that Donald Trump leads Joe Biden in most swing states.
A Republican analyst tells Matt Yglesias: "We’re going to win [in 2024] because our message is: Democrats wants to sacrifice the interests of middle-class Americans to benefit refugees, Ukrainians, criminals, and climate fanatics. And it will work, because we both know it’s true — Biden won’t even deny it."

Yglesias feels that President Biden needs to (1) push for a deficit reduction act that will raise taxes on the rich and reduce interest rates and (2) talk a lot about how Republicans want to help pharmaceutical companies at the public's expense.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:50 pm I don't think any comment about this is necessary.

[CREW: "Harlan Crow made a maximum allowed donation to Cornel West's presidential campign"]
Is West just returning to his roots?

Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, it did have the flavor of "I was at a shawarma shop eating hummus, and overhead a group of liberal naturalized Arab Americans..." Like they used to publish about mythical inner city, or university town, Starbucks where apparent liberals proclaimed their love of Trump.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:38 pm Yes, it did have the flavor of "I was at a shawarma shop eating hummus, and overhead a group of liberal naturalized Arab Americans..." Like they used to publish about mythical inner city, or university town, Starbucks where apparent liberals proclaimed their love of Trump.
And then, when the election results roll in, there will be shock and awe as it is discovered that these cherry-picked and perhaps fictional individuals do not, in fact, represent the majority of their communities.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

At this point it seems extremely likely that the GOP will take the Senate next year, unless there is a true blue wave. The top eight most likely seats to flip are all Democratic ones, and the top ones are very likely to flip, while the last two on the list, Florida and Texas, would be shocking to flip.

The 10 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2024

On the other hand, between the gains that the Democrats are likely to make as a result of the SCOTUS decision that Alabama was violating the Voting Rights Act, the high possibility that some of the close races that the Democrats lost last year (several in New York, and Boebert's seat in CO) will go the other way, the self-harm that the GOP House caucus is currently inflicting, I think there is an equally good chance that the House will turn blue.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The strange things you see on YouTube! :shock: :shock:

While viewing a video from 1977, where Frank Sinatra was subbing for Johnny Carson, I saw a video off to the side featuring a familiar face. The caption was something like 'the awful truth about the U.S. government everyone needs to know'.

I couldn't help myself - when the Tonight show video finished, I clicked on it, curious to know what Tucker Carlson had discovered. He claims that Joe Biden was replaced by a surgically altered lookalike sometime prior to his election to office. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Honestly how anyone could possibly be dumb enough to believe the claptrap this man spouts is beyond me!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion... :whistle: And I apologize if I'm rehashing a theory that's been posted before. I don't get Fox News in Canada (thank you for small mercies!) so I've remained blissfully unaware of some of these theories. :whew: And no, I am NOT posting the link! :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

The presumptive GOP presidential candidate thinks that Viktor Orbán is the leader of Turkey (to be fair, everyone misspeaks some times, but still.)