The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Frelga »

Was it really just an oversight? I wouldn't be surprised, given his history of hiring the best people, but... Really?
Screenshot_20231002-105908.png
Screenshot_20231002-105908.png (847.27 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

...and the lawyer who made you pay his full fee up front can't stop smiling."

Smart man!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No fraud here!

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

According to Jose Pagliery, Judge Engoron has issued a gag order on Donald Trump for posting a false personal attack on the judge's clerk, attorney Allison Greenfield.

(Apparently, Trump had deleted the post.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Adam Klasfeld has also posted about the gag order. It's an order on all parties not to make any comment on Engoron's staff. The judge said it follows upon "one of the defendants" making such a post, which was deleted on his order.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is Klasfeld's article on the gag order.

Voronwë the Faithful

My question is whether the order applies to comments about Judge Engoron, who after all is court staff. If so, I would be surprised if Trump doesn't violate it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Presumably, he is addressing the gag order.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I do hope a bit of levity isn't considered out of order in this thread.
Attachments
A bit of levity
A bit of levity
FB_IMG_1696371426210.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:32 pm I do hope a bit of levity isn't considered out of order in this thread.
Not at all out of order, but I believe Ivanka Trump is not a defendant in this case and Jared Kushner never was.

While I think they're bad people, they apparently listen to good lawyers.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it is so much listening to good lawyers as it is not being in the wrong place in the wrong time. Ivanka was dismissed as a defendant because her involvement with the Trump Organization all came before the time covered by the statute of limitations, and Jared was never involved with the Trump Organization, so far as I know. Both of them were conducting plenty of nefarious activities during the relevant time frame, just not activities related to this case. However, Ivanka is on the witness list for the AG's office, so she might need to testify.

Interestingly, had Trump done what every other president has ever done and completely divested himself from his business interests when he took office, his personal liability would have been much more limited than it is since he never did so.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But the rules don't apply to him! (until they do).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump did successfully get one case dismissed. But it was the lawsuit that he himself filed against Michael Cohen.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:10 am Trump did successfully get one case dismissed. But it was the lawsuit that he himself filed against Michael Cohen.
Wow. I was writing but abandoned a post in the other thread in which I was arguing that guilty people have a moral duty to plead guilty.

And then Trump goes and does the right thing here, but it's a near certainty that he did it for the wrong reasons.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I know former presidents are often called "President ___" as a courtesy, but is it really appropriate for him to call himself "President" in legal filings?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:25 am
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:10 am Trump did successfully get one case dismissed. But it was the lawsuit that he himself filed against Michael Cohen.
Wow. I was writing but abandoned a post in the other thread in which I was arguing that guilty people have a moral duty to plead guilty.

And then Trump goes and does the right thing here, but it's a near certainty that he did it for the wrong reasons.
Apparently there was a deposition scheduled Monday. It has been rescheduled so many times the judge was losing patience and refused an attempt to reschedule to accomodate one of Trump's campaign rallies. So he dropped the case. Without prejudice, so he can file again later.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

It was actually scheduled for this past Monday, and Trump got it rescheduled again by claiming that he needed to attend the fraud case in New York all of this week, and so could not do it any time this week. He then attended that case only for the first two and half days, flying back to Florida yesterday afternoon. Cohen's legal complained to the judge that Trump had lied, again, and lo and behold, Trump dismissed the case. Presumably, Cohen will do a motion for costs, though unfortunately he won't be able to be reimbursed for attorney's fees.
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:30 am I know former presidents are often called "President ___" as a courtesy, but is it really appropriate for him to call himself "President" in legal filings?
No. I wouldn't be surprised if he has it in his contracts with his attorneys. There was one hearing when one of the attorneys (I think it was Lauro) referred to him as Mr. Trump and then quickly corrected himself.
Voronwë the Faithful

SMH

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Forbes reports that Trump Org. CFO Allen Weisselberg seemingly lied during his testimony about his knowledge of Trump's inflated apartment valuation.

Which is not surprising, since it appears that Trump is not yet halfway through bribing Weisselberg not to cooperate with authorities.

What interests me particularly is the statement that Forbes has relevant emails which the New York attorney general's office has not seen.