Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Impeachment

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote: I do not believe it was the framer's intent for that investigative work to be undertaken in a Senate impeachment trial. The Senate trial, imo, is to reach a verdict based on the evidence contained in the articles of impeachment.
But why do you believe that? I wish you would specially say what in the Constitution leads you to that conclusion. It's very short, so it should be easy to point at specifics. Like I've said, I've read it several times and I see literally nothing about this. So what is it that you are seeing that I'm not?

For re- clarification of what I see in the Constitution: the house will present charges, the Senate will try those charges. That's pretty much all it says. Do you see more, or something different? Or is it that you contend that "trying charges" should never involve any independent investigation for some reason?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Cerin, maybe try writing to Chief Justice Roberts? I'm sure, as both a Constitutional scholar and the presiding judge, he'd appreciate your theories on how to run the trial and be happy to answer questions.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Cerin - Yes, the House stopped some of its investigations early due to both extreme obstruction from the WH and a court system that was content to drag its feet on resolving the dispute. Should they have continued? Maybe. But they didn't. We all agree they stopped before having some of the evidence - they stopped in the face of the unprecedented pushback on their authority as an equal branch of government.

But you seem to think that is the crime. That their perhaps not entirely complete investigation is the crime. Not that they didn't have any evidence to go on, just that they didn't have quite all of the evidence. And since they were denied the evidence, that the evidence should now just go away to be buried instead of be brought to light for the benefit of justice.

What about the actual crime? The actual crime committed? Are you even somewhat interested in seeing that tried and resolved in a way that upholds the Constitution and protects the US as a whole? Or are you only content to continue to be upset at the way Democrats (and only Democrats) have pursued investigation into this crime?

Why are you not upset about the crime that was actually committed? Why are you not upset at Republicans' attempts to obscure and ignore the crime? Their attempts to disrupt and discredit the investigation in the first place - before it was ever "ended too soon"? Perhaps it was cut short because of their ridiculously over-the-top spectacles of crashing committee hearings and flinging false accusations?

Why are you not asking why House Republicans did not demand the documents and witnesses that the WH refused to hand over or allow to testify? Why are you not upset about McConnell's' flat out statement of not being even slightly impartial, despite knowing that was the oath he would be required to take as the Senate's part of this?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I would like to actually try and understand Cerin's viewpoint if possible, so snark is probably not very helpful....
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:
Cerin wrote: I do not believe it was the framer's intent for that investigative work to be undertaken in a Senate impeachment trial. The Senate trial, imo, is to reach a verdict based on the evidence contained in the articles of impeachment.
But why do you believe that? I wish you would specially say what in the Constitution leads you to that conclusion. It's very short, so it should be easy to point at specifics. Like I've said, I've read it several times and I see literally nothing about this. So what is it that you are seeing that I'm not?

For re- clarification of what I see in the Constitution: the house will present charges, the Senate will try those charges. That's pretty much all it says. Do you see more, or something different? Or is it that you contend that "trying charges" should never involve any independent investigation for some reason?
Going by your last paragraph, we're in agreement. The House will present charges. What are the charges? They are the articles of impeachment -- obstruction of Congress, abuse of power. They are actual documents, which represent actual motions that were carefully written and historically voted on. They are based on the evidence collected in the House hearings. Those charges are what are to be tried. The Senate is to hear them -- the charges and evidence of those articles that were written and adopted by vote -- and either concur with what the House did based on that evidence and remove Trump from office, or disagree with what the House did based on that evidence and acquit the President.

What the House did, in investigating and impeaching the President, might have included testimony by Bolton and others, had Pelosi chosen to follow procedure and allow the courts to rule. But Pelosi chose to do without those witnesses. Her choice has consequences; every mature person on earth knows that their choices have consequences. The consequence of Pelosi's choice is that Bolton's testimony was not part of the impeachment of the President, and therefore it cannot be part of a Senate trial that sits in judgment of that impeachment.

As to why I believe this and what I'm seeing that you're not -- I'm seeing words (as you point out, there aren't many of them).

The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments.

and, the oath that Voronwë provided (emphasis added) once again repeats that wording:

"I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of (the person on trial), now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws; So help me God."

It doesn't say, the Senate shall have the sole power to try all Presidents.
The oath doesn't say, appertaining to the trial of Donald Trump. It says, appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of . . .

These words have meaning to me. The Senate is to 'try' (to put to test or trial) the impeachment. What is the impeachment? It's what the House did -- the investigation, the writing of articles based on the evidence gathered, the vote on the motions to adopt the articles, the vote to send these articles to the Senate. The House had the sole power to do those things. The Senate has the sole power to put the House's impeachment of Trump to the test, to judge whether they, as jurors, agree with the House impeachment of the President (which was not based on the testimony of Bolton, etc.) and remove him from office, or disagree with the House's impeachment of the President and acquit him. The fact that the evidence leading to the impeachment does not include all of the testimony and documents it might have included lies squarely and solely at the feet of Nancy Pelosi and her choice to rush the process. Now she is trying to have the Senate complete work that is the sole Constitutional province of the House. This is what I object to.

In the end, I guess we all interpret things the way they make sense to us. This makes wonderful, simple, logical sense to me, based on the very few words that are written. What is the Senate meant to try (test, judge)? The Senate is meant to try (test, judge) the House's impeachment of Donald Trump and see if it meets the standard of removal from office; the impeachment didn't include testimony and documents that Pelosi was in too much of a rush to wait for. She can't include them now, because they are not part of the impeachment that has been presented to the Senate for judgement.

edit

This is why I wanted so badly to find out if other impeachments have ever included undeposed witnesses and uninvestigated documents that were not part of the House investigative process. If the inclusion of new witnesses and evidence not underlying articles of impeachment has never occurred, I would take that to support my interpretation.
Last edited by Cerin on Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Press to be severely limited in access to Senators during impeachment
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/17/79712642 ... ment-trial

:rage:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:It doesn't say, the Senate shall have the sole power to try all Presidents.
Because presidents are not the only ones who can be impeached. In fact, most impeachments have not been of presidents.

But there is a special clause regarding trials of the president
6: The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members presen
When the president of the US is tried - not when the president's impeachment is tried. The trial is of the person. The impeachment is just the first half of the process.
Section 4
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors
The impeachment is the first half, the trial is the second - the trial is of the person. The trial is for the commission of "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". The trial is not of the impeachment, the trial stems from it.
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:The Senate is to hear them -- the charges and evidence of those articles that were written and adopted by vote -- and either concur with what the House did based on that evidence and remove Trump from office, or disagree with what the House did based on that evidence and acquit the President.
I know that you care a great deal about the precise use of language, so I am a bit surprised to hear you using the word "evidence" in this sentence. Not only is the subject of evidence not something that comes up in the Constitution, it is not part of the definition of "impeachment". The word impeachment means: "the process by which a legislative body levels charges against a government official. ...it is essentially the statement of charges against the official." (from Wikipedia)

So no, it is not "the charges and evidence of those articles". It is only the articles of charges. Perhaps you are including the idea of evidence in there because you believed that was part of what impeachment meant, but that is inaccurate. The evidence is not part of what an impeachment is. The evidence is a separate issue.
Cerin wrote:These words have meaning to me. The Senate is to 'try' (to put to test or trial) the impeachment. What is the impeachment? It's what the House did -- the investigation, the writing of articles based on the evidence gathered, the vote on the motions to adopt the articles, the vote to send these articles to the Senate.
Again, this is in an inaccurate description of what impeachment means. Impeachment is only the charges. That is what that word means. Theoretically, the House could impeach a person without ever presenting any evidence whatsoever for the charges (though thankfully they don't). It would be Senate's job to determine the merit of those charges.
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Definition of impeachment
im·peach·ment
/imˈpēCHmənt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: impeachment; plural noun: impeachments

the action of calling into question the integrity or validity of something.
"the prosecutor's detailed impeachment of the character witness"
British
a charge of treason or another crime against the state.
"the king cynically abandoned him, encouraging his impeachment"
US
a charge of misconduct made against the holder of a public office.
"the president is facing impeachment over the scandal"
Impeachment, in the US, is a charge against a person. Like an indictment.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Just in case for some inexplicable reason this was unclear, the actual exact oath that Chief Justice Roberts had 99 Senators take (James Inhofe was absent because of a family emergency and will be sworn separately before the trial begins in earnest) was: "Do you solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, president of the United States, now pending, you will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help you god?"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Just in case for some inexplicable reason this was unclear, the actual exact oath that Chief Justice Roberts had 99 Senators take (James Inhofe was absent because of a family emergency and will be sworn separately before the trial begins in earnest) was: "Do you solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, president of the United States, now pending, you will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help you god?"
And their replies were?

nvm.. :roll:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: And their replies were?

nvm.. :roll:
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yeah.. exactly.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Interesting counter-point: did the White House/Trump defense team offer any exculpatory evidence, documents, or witnesses to the House investigations? Did they take up the House on their offer for either the President or his legal team to come and testify?

If not, is Trump's defense allowed to introduce this new evidence or witnesses into the trial?

If he was offered the chance to present it to the House and declined, would this likewise fall afoul of being inadmissible after-the-fact since if he wanted to present it he should have presented it to the House when given the opportunity?

If Trump and his team are allowed to bring in new evidence or documents or witnesses, why shouldn't both sides get to do so?

eta: In fact, if the trial was nothing but a judgement on the articles of impeachment, there would be literally no place for any kind of WH defense of any kind, it would be irrelevant to the proceeding if all the Senators were simply judging the articles and nothing else.
was a 2020 planner.

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yov

I have to disagree that 'the impeachment' simply means 'the charges.'

You can't have charges without evidence.

You can't have evidence without an investigation.

You can't have an impeachment if you don't write articles based on the evidence based on the investigation and then vote on whether or not to adopt the motion to accept the articles.

Furthermore, the oath said, 'appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald Trump.' Donald Trump was impeached. He was impeached by a vote, on articles based on evidence gathered in an investigation. It is something that happened. All of those things that happened constitute 'the impeachment of Donald Trump.'

No investigation, no evidence.
No evidence, no articles.
No articles, no vote.
No vote, no impeachment.

Investigation + evidence + articles + vote = the impeachment of Donald Trump. That's what the Senate just took an oath to try, to see if it passes muster.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:yov

I have to disagree that 'the impeachment' simply means 'the charges.'

You can't have charges without evidence.
Sorry, this isn't really a matter of agree or disagree. It is simply, explicitly, literally, what the word means. You can indeed have charges without evidence. Many people throughout history have been charged with things without any evidence whatsoever. That would be a very bad thing to do, but you could very much impeach a person without ever presenting your evidence or your reasons.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What a Mafiaesque thug operation. The whole lot of them. Criminal thugs.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Something that puzzles me about the argument that this impeachment is just an attempt to overturn the 2016 election: if Trump is removed, Pence takes over. Not Hillary. Pence. Who is not exactly a loved figure on the left. In fact, given how rabidly the right supports Trump, I'm not sure Pence is all that loved on the other side either. Nonetheless, he'll be President if Trump is unable to finish his term. That's the way it works. Everyone ought to know that...so why the b.s. about coups and overturning elections and such? Did a massive chunk of the country forget elementary school civics at some point in the past few months? Or is the gaslighting from the White House just that effective?
Voronwë the Faithful

That's not an argument; it is a talking point. An argument has some basis in reason, even if it is debatable. But a talking point doesn't need to make any sense whatsoever, so long as it appeals to the emotions of the people it is directed towards.