The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

From a footnote in the court's decision affirming that the tax returns should be turned over: ""We note that the past six presidents, dating back to President (Jimmy) Carter, all voluntarily released their tax returns to the public. While we do not place dispositive weight on this fact, it reinforces our conclusion that the disclosure of personal financial information, standing alone, is unlikely to impair the President in performing the duties of his office."
:poke:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Well, unless the information released directly leads to criminal indictment or impeachment proceedings against the president. That might do it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, jury selection began today in the trial of former Trump adviser Roger Stone, and there was barely a ripple of attention. Oh how things change!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Meanwhile, jury selection began today in the trial of former Trump adviser Roger Stone, and there was barely a ripple of attention. Oh how things change!
The judge offered Stone some Imodium after he complained of food poisoning after lunch (and he said he had to go home).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

That was so classic.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Stone is such a bizarre character. His testimony sounds like it could be fairly damning.
Voronwë the Faithful

Bannon testifies Trump campaign viewed Stone as access point to WikiLeaks

It is ridiculous that Mueller did not make a finding of conspiracy (aka collusion).

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Bannon testifies Trump campaign viewed Stone as access point to WikiLeaks

It is ridiculous that Mueller did not make a finding of conspiracy (aka collusion).
I've been wondering about this over the last day or two..
elengil

Post by elengil »

Despite being on a self-imposed news hiatus, I succumbed to this headline this morning:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/us/p ... uilty.html
Mr. Stone, 67, was charged with lying to the House Intelligence Committee, trying to block the testimony of another potential witness and concealing reams of evidence from investigators. Prosecutors claimed he tried to thwart the committee’s work because the truth would have “looked terrible” for both the president and his campaign. He was found guilty of all seven counts he was charged with.
Emphasis mine, but boy, what an admission to come out.
Confronted with his lies under oath by one associate, prosecutors said, Mr. Stone wrote back: “No one cares.” They asked the jurors to deliver a verdict proving him wrong.
Unfortunately, too many still don't care... :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote: Emphasis mine, but boy, what an admission to come out.
Confronted with his lies under oath by one associate, prosecutors said, Mr. Stone wrote back: “No one cares.” They asked the jurors to deliver a verdict proving him wrong.
Unfortunately, too many still don't care... :nono:
I am not sure I'd characterize it as not caring. Some may not care but I'd say there is a segment of the population which has regularly been lied to and been fed propaganda, lies, and conspiracy theories.
Voronwë the Faithful

The Justice Department Inspector General's report on the origins of the Russia investigation is due out in a few days, and by all accounts it largely will find that the investigation was legally predicated and that the FBI did not "spy" on the Trump campaign. So of course, Attorney General Barr doesn't agree.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/politics ... index.html

(By the way, Jonathan Turley, the constitutional scholar that Cerin mentioned earlier in this thread as someone that she likes, is one of the four experts that are testifying at the impeachment hearing tomorrow. I guess the Democrats wanted to include someone who is not supportive of their case, because Turley is certainly not. [ETA: apparently, Turley was requested as a witness by the Republicans on the committee].)
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump assails FBI Director Wray after report finds no evidence of political bias

That's Trump's own handpicked FBI Director he is assailing.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

He does the same thing to the military. He is undermining all of our institutions. It's really pathetic. And frightening. He believes Putin over any American. Bill Barr is a disgrace. So is Pompeo. They know better.

*edited to correct spelling
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

He is not a good boss.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Another article which at first I thought was satire:
Definitely considered putting this in the WTF thread!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russias-s ... vmUl8t7w9w

“Putin has expressed undisguised delight with the crusade led by Trump and Giuliani to whitewash Moscow’s interference in the U.S. elections.”
Appearing on Sunday Evening With Vladimir Soloviev, Mikhail Gusman, first deputy director general of ITAR-TASS, Russia’s oldest and largest news agency, predicted: “Sooner or later, the Democrats will come back into power. The next term or the term after that, it doesn’t matter... I have an even more unpleasant forecast for Trump. After the White House, he will face a very unhappy period.”

The host, Vladimir Soloviev, smugly asked: “Should we get another apartment in Rostov ready?” Soloviev’s allusion was to the situation of Viktor Yanukovych, former president of Ukraine, who was forced to flee to Russia in 2014 and settled in the city of Rostov-on-Don.

Such parallels between Yanukovych and Trump are being drawn not only because of their common association with Paul Manafort, adviser to the first, campaign chairman for the second, but also because Russian experts and politicians consider both of them to be openly pro-Kremlin.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's not inconsistent with what I've seen on other Russian state news programs.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga, I'm not surprised. :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Really sad. Just sad.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Posting here only because of it's deep connection with the Muller probe

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics ... index.html
:bang:

Gettin' real tired of powerful people getting off with relative slaps on the wrist, even for the most disgusting of crimes.
was a 2020 planner.