Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jonas, thank you very much for posting that!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Back in the day when PJ was making Lord of the rings, I always took there more revisionist stance, but for what Amazon is doing with this, which could so easily slide into cheap fanfiction territory, I am actually quite glad to hear that there is somebody there telling them whether or not what they are doing is Tolkien enough.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I saw this today at TORN, posted by "Mushroom" and I don't recall seeing it before (but perhaps I just forgot). But it very intriguing.
“The increase in turnover contributed a portion of this [doubling of profit],” the company said in a Companies House filing published on Thursday.

“However, the main driver was a one-off deal with Amazon, where in conjunction with Warner Bros and the Tolkien estate we sold the rights for a multi-series TV show to be shown on Amazon Prime based on the Lord of the Rings Appendices.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... its-rights
As I said there, I would tend to discount that as "fake news" but it is actually quoting a filing made by Harper Collins (which I was able to look up and confirm). Presumably, they would not make that claim about the show being based on the LoTR Appendices in an official filing if it were not at least partly true.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I watched A Monster Call directed by JA Bayona, who is directing the first two episodes if you need a reminder. Wow, I am seriously impressed! This is a great movie.

It is visually splendid, both in its big setpieces (the animated sequences are stunning) and more subtle arrangements and camerawork in the small dramatic scenes. Liam Neeson voices the ent-like monster, and Sigourney Weaver supports in probably one of her better later roles.

The tone strikes the mix of fairy tale enchantment, emotional drama, and horror elements that the Second Age would need. It deals with themes of morality, death and the desire for deathlessness, and subcreation in a thoughtful manner, I would even say Tolkienesque in some ways.

Based off this movie, Bayona is a great choice for director and their choice to lead off with him gives me more confidence in what Amazon is doing.
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad to hear that.

TORN (as I know you know already, k_z), initially reported on their Facebook page that Amazon only had the rights to the LOTR appendices and that anything in posthumously published works including UT and The Silmarillion were off-limits. When it was pointed out that they have already used material that did not appear in the LOTR appendices and only appeared in UT on the promotional map, they clarified on their Twitter feed: "Tolkien Estate is allowing posthumously published names, places & storylines on a case-by-case basis. This means that the map was reviewed & approved specifically by the family. Anything outside the appendices may be included or vetoed. But if its in LOTR, rights are secured." That is more consistent with what Shippey said in his interview, but I doubt it is the whole story. Amazon was not going to pay $250 million for such a limited and vague set of rights. I would guess that it is more broadly worded but that the Estate has (as Shippey noted) some kind of limited right to review and approve or reject what they do.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

When I read the news I had mixed feelings, trying to decide if we visited New Zealand at the right time (before tourism ramps up/gets crazy with the show) or if we went too early & have missed out on the excitement and fanfare that is sure to come with the show. If it were not so far away (and expensive) I'd definitely go again, but I think it was likely a once in a lifetime amazing trip for me.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I think you went at the right time, Rose!

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have friends who went to NZ years ago.. closer to the time of the films (Axordil) and Ax's spouse regrets missing out on Hobbiton, which was certainly a highlight of our trip. I suppose that is what made me ponder. I certainly don't regret going.. I sometimes just feel as if I missed ... well.. certain key m00ts/meeting certain people and that makes me wistful. I'd love to attend an Oxford m00t one of these days!

** edited to add: I realize I've been more fortunate than many, so I'm not complaining!!
Voronwë the Faithful

Brexit sees Scotland lose lucrative Lord of the Rings prequel

Despite the headline, I think it is only speculation that the ongoing Brexit uncertainty is the reason why Scotland lost out on the show.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Interesting. I was surprised that it will be made at studios in Auckland however, not in Wellington ('Wellywood').
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Four audition tapes has been leaked. My thoughts is that the script in the audition tapes are made up for secrecy.
https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/1 ... ay-an-elf/
Voronwë the Faithful

I looked at them a bit yesterday. I certainly hope they are not in any way genuine examples of dialogue from the show!

JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I looked at them a bit yesterday. I certainly hope they are not in any way genuine examples of dialogue from the show!

I think that user "Althoun" from theonering.net post number two has several good points. http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... =240674409
Voronwë the Faithful

Althoun often makes good points. However, in this case the points that (s)he makes is dependent on the assumption that the main characters in the show will be actual characters created by Tolkien and not characters created by the showrunners. I am not convinced that that is the case.
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Althoun often makes good points. However, in this case the points that (s)he makes is dependent on the assumption that the main characters in the show will be actual characters created by Tolkien and not characters created by the showrunners. I am not convinced that that is the case.
I personally find it likely all the names leaked so far is not the real names of the characters.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The writers for this show have a dream job. Imagine writing Tolkien fanfiction, being paid and probably paid well for it, and seeing it turned into a major TV show. I hope they appreciate it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

This sounds so bad that it can't possibly be true (and thus probably is completely accurate).

Exclusive: Main Characters for Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ Revealed?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Link copy didn't work.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Fixed it.