'Purple Hibiscus' and Other Literature from Around the World

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

imp...we'll miss you. :hug:

As we are discussing Image here, I wanted to take the opportunity to mention a book I have just finished. It is 'Purple Hibiscus', just lately I have read many books that under normal circumstances I would never have picked up let alone read, but my daughter is staying and I am reading books she has purchased.

This particular book is set in Nigeria, and follows the children of a rich and powerful Nigerian family through a time of growing. It is a story rich with emotions and gives an insight into what it is like to grow up in a country oppressed.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare1.com/pu ... iscus.html
Worth a read.

Another story I recently read was 'Shadowbrook' a story set in the 'south' during slavery. It follows mainly one family, plantation owners and the lives of the eldest son, the second son and an adoptive son, how they live during these times and the different values they have. Within this book was a particularly horrible and cruel scene described. Several weeks later I still can visualise the scene and feel physically ill when I do. I suppose this is proof of the power of the writing, even if at times the story moved too far too fast.
http://www.tiedtothetracks.com/storytel ... 000623.htm

hopes she has not written this in the wrong place, but as its a lounge I thought maybe we could share non tolkien book recomendations? :oops:
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I moved TIGG's post from the Parlour in Bag End because I think that people might be interested in discussing this book and other literature from around the world. I know I am interested in reading Purple Hibiscus, and I would like to know that there is a place that I can discuss it when I do. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."