Parodies

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Parodies

Post by Maria »

I just introduced a coworker of mine to this Weird Al parody of the song "Lola" called "Yoda".

The coworker is an avid Star Wars fan, so I think its amazing that he's never seen this before. I first heard the song back in the 80's when it was released. Someone did a really good job with the video editing, I think. It's not an official music video, I mean. An amateur effort, in other words.

Please post any parodies you like of any sort here. :)
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Parodies

Post by elengil »

An intersection of so many things I love! Weird Al, parodies, nerdiness, SciFi, youtube... it's like the ultimate Venn diagram LOL I grew up with this version, I'm pretty sure I heard it long before I ever heard the original :rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Weird Al has always been a favorite of mine. :) That video is just a treat, though.
"I'll be playing this part 'till I'm old and grey
The long-term contract that I had to sign
Says I'll be making these movies till the end of time "

And they show a clip of him in the latest movies- old and grey! :rofl:

I also quite like this one. My younger daughter insisted that we watch "Frozen" a year or two ago, or I wouldn't find it near as amusing:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maria wrote:I just introduced a coworker of mine to this Weird Al parody of the song "Lola" called "Yoda".

The coworker is an avid Star Wars fan, so I think its amazing that he's never seen this before. I first heard the song back in the 80's when it was released. Someone did a really good job with the video editing, I think. It's not an official music video, I mean. An amateur effort, in other words.

That was great!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Yoda is definitely my favorite, though he's done another as well:
The Saga Begins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

There are other Star Wars parodies I have enjoyed as well
Star Wars Cantina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMlad4e3Q4
Fett's Vett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BIazf-7j4 (some language)
All About That Base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV5WqRnFejI

And this parody of the prequels. The pregnancy test part is my... favorite? It's absolute toilet humor, so be warned, but for some reason I laugh every time. I think it's more OBW's reactions than anything.
http://www.sequentialpictures.com/movie ... sode3.html
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Why'd they keep darting JarJar? :rofl:
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My husband was laughing out loud at this one last night. Me too, for that matter.

It helps if you like the song it sprang from, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:Why'd they keep darting JarJar? :rofl:
Fan service?
Maria wrote:Thank God I'm A Star Trek Boy
:rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl: I thought it was going to be more about Will Wheaton.
:love: John Denver.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I hadn't heard the song "All about the Bass" before. My husband insisted I find it, so we compared the two. Before, I thought "All about the Base" was just being weird for the sake of weird, but they were parodying the video for "All about the Bass" really well, I thought. And I really like the message in "All about the Bass"- so that's a bonus. :)

And "StarWars Cantina" has been an earworm in my head all weekend! "Music and blasters and old Jedi Masters...." :drummer: :music:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I love 'All About the Bass' (and it's accompanying video/great message). I'd never heard 'All About the Base' before!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

This one's a spoof on all those sincere Boston Dynamics robot innovation videos that keep getting released.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is frickin' terrifying Maria. How does it know who is the 'enemy'??
elengil

Post by elengil »

That... was not what I expected. :shock:

I mean... good robot? Woulda been my choice, too. Oddly the whole thing had a vaguely District 9 feel to it.

To Rose's point, terrifying indeed. It reminds me of a review of a game where the reviewer was saying "Everything that was cyberpunk then [previous game by producer] is steampunk now, and sometimes it gets a little perplexing. How exactly is a steam-powered gun turret supposed to differentiate between friend and foe? I wasn't aware boiled water could form allegiances."
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

When I first watched that one, I wasn't aware that it was CGI. When the robot was choosing to shoot between mannequin and live target, I was wide eyed :shock: and saying, "Uh... they must really trust their creation! :shock: :scarey:

The Boston Dynamics vids are pretty impressive all on their own.
*NOT* parody:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

To be clear, in that first robot video, the robot in that is 100% CGI. I've been a fan of their work for a bit and they post some amazing effects work. Nothing to be afraid of - yet! :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yeah, I'm impressed by them, too, but a brand new fan.
This is the first video I saw of theirs, when looking for Star War's parodies:

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I hadn't seen that one, that was fun!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The lightsaber one was funny. I'm glad the robot ones are CGI!!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

tee hee.... this one is "When the already complicated lyrics of "Sound of Silence" are translated into too many languages using Google Translate."