Escaping the Echo Chamber

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post by River »

I was thinking the same, Frelga. Not everyone is cut out to be a scholar.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

If only we valued mental labor and physical labor equally for the effort applied - and further, valued it to the degree that those most suited to both had equal opportunities.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:If only we valued mental labor and physical labor equally for the effort applied - and further, valued it to the degree that those most suited to both had equal opportunities.
I think that train has left the rails. There are very few trades left where purely manual work cannot be done better and easier by machines. They are not automated only because people are cheaper. Construction maybe the last one.

My husband's field, mechanical contractors, is one of the few where the union will take a kid out of high school to apprentice for, e.g., sheet metal installer. Experienced workers make excellent money, with benefits.

It's all very old fashioned. Most companies are still fairly small, owned by people who started in the field, everyone knows each other, and competition tends to be friendly. Construction is non-stop in the Bay Area, there is more work than workers, and the real enemy are non-union companies undercutting them.

But it's not going to last. Already there are machines that use CAD to plot and cut metal, which used to be a skilled job. Larger companies are starting to move in. And it's hard to get young people to take these jobs.

It's the brain, not brawn, world out there.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Slightly tangentially, this discussion reminds me of the weird, inexplicable ways that stuff can develop gender biases. My company is in the apartment industry and manages hundreds of apartments across the country. My job is doing the software support for the program all those apartments use to run everything, so that's hundreds and hundreds of people working at apartments that reach out to me and I can tell you that, for some reason, the non-maintainance at apartments is overwhelmingly female. I'd say at the very least 80% female, though it's probably higher. I have absolutely no theories as to why this would be the case, and given that it's not like there are any cultural expectations around apartment complexes that I know of, it's hard for me to not think that somehow, whatever is drawing women into this industry or keeping men away is perhaps just a natural thing somehow. So weird.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote: for some reason, the non-maintainance at apartments is overwhelmingly female.
What do you mean by non-maintenance? What kind of work are they doing? Is it considered more secretarial maybe? Or perhaps it's the kind of job they can hold down while staying home and caring for children/elderly relatives? Maybe it offers more flexibility but less pay?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well, each apartment has to have a manager. Someone who is basically running the business and all that entails. Advertising and marketing, budgets, paying vendors, hiring and firing staff, dealing with all kinds of tenant issues, ect ect. Most will also have an assistant responsible for things like collecting rent payments, billing residents, entering any invoicing ect. And then there's also usually staff devoted to showing interested people the apartments and trying to tell them why it's a great place to live, so basically a salesperson for the apartment. These are basically the people you would see if you walk into the front office of any apartment. And for all of those roles, everywhere in the country, it's overwhelmingly female.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do they live in the apartment complex where they work? Is it, as elengil said, home-based work with flexible hours that allows the employee to also shoulder the caregiving responsibilities for children or the elderly ?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

A few do but definitely not the majority. And they have set office hours which they're supposed to be there for tenants, which often include weekends and even some holidays, so I don't imagine the schedule is more flexible than anywhere else
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

Strange.

Yeah, I don't know enough (or, really, anything) about that line of work to even formulate a better theory. I'm tapped out.
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The real answer is that humans don't make any sense and defy all explanations.
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:The real answer is that humans don't make any sense and defy all explanations.
While that is true for individuals, there are some logics we can apply to groups. Some. Not much, but...
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yov, are you basing your result on the sample of managers who are contacting you, or have you actually seen data on the gender distribution in the managers/front office people?

Because if you are basing it only on the sample who's contacting you - that's a sample selection bias.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I get contacted by pretty much everyone at the company at some point. We help out everybody so our sample size is nearly the entire sample.
[
Last edited by yovargas on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Do you have data?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There must be some flexibility to the job as I wouldn't think showing apartments only happens M-F from 8-5. Possibly that there are no/few benefits?

My spouse is a lineman for an electric company. They used to take young people/apprentices without training, but now they even require specialty schooling.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Merriam-Webster Twitter game is strong.
IMG_20191112_205611.jpg
IMG_20191112_205611.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 3201 times

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Do these idiots know what prejudice means?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I dunno Inanna, some people don't seem to know what quid pro quo means.

Frelga :doh:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"Look, I'm not racist, I just think my race is better at some things than your race."

Hm.
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I dunno Inanna, some people don't seem to know what quid pro quo means.
Anyone? Anyone?
quidproquo.jpg
quidproquo.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 3162 times