Post by yovargas »

I don't get it. :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It was pretty obtuse...but I wrote a novel where characters actually had those kind of discussions, so I had an advantage, I guess. :)

One idea behind most performance art and conceptual art is that there is an artistic element to everyday activities and objects, which an artist can bring out by calling attention to it. Witness Duchamp and the urinal. Wikipedia has some good entries on this stuff.

The cartoon just takes that notion to another level... :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just saw this painting by Goya yesterday. It might be the most disturbing painting I've ever seen:

-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Saturn Devouring his Son--yep, it's up there disturbing-wise. Compare and contrast the version by Rubens.:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Thanks for posting that, Ax. I've been trying to verbalize the difference between the two for the last few days. They're both horrofying but in different ways. The horror in Rubens' feels much more specific - the intense suffering of that particular child. Goya's, on the other hand, feels like a painting of a state of mind, of some grand overwhelming madness. I judge Goya's to be the more powerful statement.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've always been struck by the horror in the eyes of Goya's Saturn, as if he's compelled to an act he recognizes as terrible.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Good job, both of you, in helping to pin that down for me. It's been bugging me since college and my single Art History survey course, where the prof asked the question and then I dozed off in the warm, dark auditorium before I heard the answer. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I don't often particularly love art of this style but I really love this painting:

It's by John Millias who also did this fairly famous painting I believe has been linked to in this thread:
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've been in a very art-lovin' mood lately so here's a ton of paintings I adore. Hopefully, You will find something here you enjoy. I loved this thread and hopefully others will continue to discuss and contribute to it again - comments welcome! :)

-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Favorite artists - contribute!

Post by yovargas »

Because I went to a little art show today and I LOVED this guy's work, here's some Bo Bartlett paintings.

-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Google Kay Nielsen. You will not regret it!

Last edited by yovargas on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My immediate thought was "Yellow Submarine" :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I missed the Bo Bartlett paintings the first time around. I like those! Very compelling!
RoseMorninStar

Re:

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Whistler wrote:A bit of trivia:

Once there was a little boy named Salvador Dali. He died in childhood. After his death, his parents had another little boy. This one they named...Salvador Dali. And this boy grew up with a very twisted view of himself and the world, imagining himself to be his own dead brother.

And of course he became Dali the painter.
The same thing happened to Vincent Van Gogh. A year (to the day) before Vincent's birth his brother, Vincent died. Vincent II had to walk past the graveyard (his father was a pastor) every day seeing a gravestone with his name on it. How odd. Maybe more common in those days?

This is a fascinating thread yov. I'm only 1/2 way through. And yes, many of the links are now broken, but how I wish I could have been in on these conversations!!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
RoseMorninStar

Re:

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Tom Robbins wrote:While strolling through her cactus gardens one warmish June morning, Amanda came upon an old Navajo man painting pictures in the sand.

"What is the functino of the artist?" Amanda demanded of the talented trespasser.

"The function of the artist," the Navajo answered, "is to provide what life does not."
I love this quote. :love:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I finally got through it all. It is unfortunate so many of the links in the thread are not broken.
yovargas wrote:Aaaaanyways, the trip was worthwhile anyways because they had several works by some guy named Dale Chihuly
Love Chihuly! He's a pretty big deal these days.
Incidentally, Peter Max was the first artist I knew by name. He was quite influential when I was young. His artwork was on sheets and folders and shoes, all sorts of things.

Art, like many other things, can be experienced on so many different levels depending upon your experience.
Initially, there is the visceral, emotional reaction to a piece of art as one might have to a piece of music, a performance, a literary work, even science. medicine, or other 'arts', I would imagine. At this level we might say we like, love, or dislike a piece. Maybe we will have an aversion to it or find it distasteful. We notice the scene, the color, the shapes, the light.

Next might come the cerebral examination of the work..what was the artist, sculptor, playwright, musician, writer, etc.. trying to convey? What was their intention? I noticed this level in the discussion of Degas 'Interior' ('The Rape') At this level one might not 'like' the work, but they may 'appreciate' it for the statement the artist is trying to make. There is a great deal of art that falls into this category for me. I once detested the folk art of Grandma Moses. It is not the type of art I would have in my home.. it's just not my style. However, the more I learned about her the more my appreciation grew. Now, I enjoy her work, although it's still not the type of art I would likely have in my home. There is a lot to explore at this level.. the history of the particular artistic movement and what influenced it. Social commentary, politics, etc..

Last would be a technical level. This would likely require one to have at least a cursory ability/knowledge of the medium. For example, I enjoy music very much. I definitely have a emotional reaction to music. I would probably be able to have a discussion about what the musician was going for .. relaxing, classical, haunting, modern, influences, etc.. but since I do not read music or play an instrument, there is a level that I'm not likely to experience in the same way a musician would. When they listen to music they may be thinking of signatures and bars and instruments and movements. And so it is with painting and sculpture. How did the artist create that.. what did they use to achieve that effect? What mediums did they use?

I'll have to give some thoughts to my favorite artists. I have sooo many. Contrary to my avatar, Botticelli is not one of them! It is why I intentionally tried to 'breathe life' into Venus as I painted her.

**edited to add. Favorite artists. I'll begin with a local favorite of mine, Dan Gerhartz. I took a class from him, maybe 20 years ago, but he's quite well known now and his classes are rare, given around the world, and expensive. His work is in the vein of Bouguereau, Sargent, and a local inspiration, Carl Von Marr whose work he grew up admiring in the local museum. Dan is a very religious person (I am not) so some of his subject matter is too maudlin (?) for my taste, but the light! the color! the movement! OH! it's what I aspire to achieve in my own work. At one time I worked for an insurance company & they had several of his works in the building, in particular in the dining area. Dan is a very kind and genuine person.
Attachments
Dan Gerhartz 2.jpg
Dan Gerhartz 2.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 15731 times
Daniel Gerhartz.jpg
Daniel Gerhartz.jpg (413.1 KiB) Viewed 15731 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I considered putting this in the TV thread but there is too much great art here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/corbin_dewit ... 4626975744
his dark materials premieres one week from today and i am going to seize this opportunity to share the scores of artworks i have saved specifically because they seem like portraits of people with their dæmons
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!