Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump's America

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thank you for posting that link Voronwë. It's an interesting read from a different point of view, but I'm not sure I can effectively respond without committing a TOS violation! (I'll make an attempt). I don't mind reading differences of opinion, even biased ones, but they've got to be based on facts and McCarthy has spread his share of conspiracy theories. I find it interesting that one of McCarthy's books is called 'Willful Blindness'. That blindness can be found on both sides of the aisle.

Obviously, bias and balance are different things. To read another point of view for the sake of 'balance' isn't worth much if facts are missing or distorted. For example, 'Mother Jones' has a definite liberal bias, but factual reporting. RT News (Russian Times/RT.Com) is Right center but is a questionable source/propaganda/conspiracy. I often run a news source through Media Bias/Fact Check. I did not see AllSides listed there elengil, perhaps they are new? I suppose they may not be listed because they don't offer up their own news but rate the bias of what is already out there.

There are one or two things I agree with in the article; that Trump is uninformed and out of his depth (on almost every subject) is certainly true. His "great brain" which allows him to be "just about better/smarter than anyone" when it comes to the military/being a general, economics, trade, campaign finance, or just about any other subject at hand, is painfully untrue and absurd. Delusional. In my opinion, Trump is an unscrupulous and amoral man who is not very astute but likes to play-act as someone who is. The job of president, unlike 'reality' TV, is not polished and edited, although I wish his tweets were!

I do not claim to be versed in law and I am certain Andrew C. McCarthy (and you, Voronwë) are far more qualified to address legal terminology and (actual or potential) crimes/legal issues. However, McCarthy chooses his words carefully to include a very narrow scope of the Mueller investigation:
"There was no conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin to commit cyber-espionage against Democratic email accounts. Putin did not “hack the election.”
(italics mine)
There is little denying (to anyone honestly paying attention) that Putin/Russia was involved in MANY areas of the 2016 election. Certainly, they were very involved in a social media/disinformation campaign and attempts at voter fraud which SHOULD be of great interest to ANY U.S. administration/congress. The Russians invested many years and considerable expense, this isn't a figment of liberal imagination. At one time Congress nearly unanimously voted for election security measures/funding but the GOP has recently blocked it. Why? That Trump & the GOP have had an odd and less than transparent response or action regarding an assault on our sovereignty SHOULD be an outrage. It is suspect. Whether Trump is/was implicitly involved I cannot say, but if not, given all of the Russian involvement and special treatment (the change in platform at the Republican convention toward Russia/Ukraine for example), Manfort's Russian involvement, debt, and offer of 'free' services, Russians wanting to meet for 'deals' at Trump tower (which should have immediately been reported to the FBI) he's not astute enough to be president! McCarthy says that the Trump Tower meeting was 'a bust', but do we know that to be true? Have we heard Mueller's final findings on that meeting? The author of this piece is correct that Trump gives Mueller/CIA so much fodder. There are so many odd and fishy incidents that NEVER would have been acceptable had any Democrat been involved in similar circumstances. The outright and copious lying, the fawning over Putin, the insistence of private meetings, searching for back channels, etc.. The list is long.

As one of the commenters on that article writes:
The Russians stole campaign data and emails--and not all of the emails stolen were made public.

With Democratic campaign data they could direct their ad campaigns to the exact locations where Democrats were not campaigning because the Democrat's data showed those counties to be safely for Hillary.
I live 5 miles from one of those late-in-the-campaign changed rally sites, so following that has been of special interest to me.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My point was that even someone as extremely anti-Mueller as McCarthy found Mr. Trump's comments about Russia and Afghanistan highly inappropriate.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:My point was that even someone as extremely anti-Mueller as McCarthy found Mr. Trump's comments about Russia and Afghanistan highly inappropriate.
Oh... er.. nevermind...

:D :oops:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The article itself is fairly light on content, but I had to share because of the headline:
Conservatives Worry Feminists Are Using Witchcraft To Destroy Trump
Seriously, how can The Onion hope to survive in this environment?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

breitbart wrote:Dozens of witch-related products, ranging from pentagram-decorated clothing to “I’m a witch, you’re a bitch” pins, can be found on Witchsy among more typical feminist merchandise
Dozens!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:The article itself is fairly light on content, but I had to share because of the headline:
Wait... is this the witch-hunt we're all supposed to be against? I can't keep up!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Taking things in a different direction. Do you think it... might work? Asking for a friend.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Beats me.

My practice of the dark arts applies only to molecules (see my title ;)).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote:Beats me.

My practice of the dark arts applies only to molecules (see my title ;)).
I dunno, quantum theory can be pretty witchcrafty... biochemistry must be at least a little..
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:The article itself is fairly light on content, but I had to share because of the headline:
This should surprise me, but it doesn't and that is what is really sad. *sigh*
Dave_LF wrote:Taking things in a different direction. Do you think it... might work? Asking for a friend.
:rotfl:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil, I used to work in a physics department. "Witchcraft" is too lightweight a term for quantum physics. That stuff is more like summoning ancient chthonic gods for a cup of tea and game of dice. The people who do it are either at the brink of madness or off the edge completely.
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:When did The Onion change its name to US Today?
Nov 9, 2016? It would explain a lot of things....
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Wait; could the Onion have bought up all major media outlets, and none of this is real? Or maybe I'm in some sort of psychological experiment to find out how weird the news has to get before people stop believing it...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
Nov 9, 2016? It would explain a lot of things....
I'm still waiting for the boiled turnip to bail us out!

:wooper:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Donald Trump Jr. compares border wall to zoo fences that hold animals in Instagram post
It brings to mind a joke I found somewhere, a long time ago, that my husband understandably hates: The Italians are very proud of their new zoo. They built a fence around Yugoslavia.
Voronwë the Faithful

[other thread discussion]I can see why he would hate that "joke".[/other thread discussion]
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:[other thread discussion]I can see why he would hate that "joke".[/other thread discussion]
Ironically he has no qualms about telling similar jokes about Bosnians (stereotype = dumb) and Montenegrins (stereotype = lazy). But his thinking is it's sort of like how you can make fun of your own family but if an outsider does it there's hell to pay. My thinking is it's no wonder Yugoslavia ultimately fell apart.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: I'm still waiting for the boiled turnip to bail us out!
Any minute now!

:er:
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Soooooo question - why is Trump making such a big deal about the stupid wall now when he had two years of Rep controlled Congress to work with?
-The Decemberists