Cultural Appropriation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:So now the person you just harmed has to not only suffer the harm you caused, they have to prove that they've been harmed in hopes that you will stop.
I mean, if you want people to stop doing something, you have to tell them why. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :scratch:
If someone steps on your toe, and you go ouch, do you want them to say sorry and move, or should they question you about your toes, whether you even have any, and whether it hurts you more when their heel is on your toe than it inconveniences them to move away?

All while standing on your foot?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:So now the person you just harmed has to not only suffer the harm you caused, they have to prove that they've been harmed in hopes that you will stop.
I mean, if you want people to stop doing something, you have to tell them why. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :scratch:
If someone steps on your toe, and you go ouch, do you want them to say sorry and move, or should they question you about your toes, whether you even have any, and whether it hurts you more when their heel is on your toe than it inconveniences them to move away?

It also forces this expectation that every interaction is an individual, stand-alone moment, that is not in any way influenced by the history of moments leading up to that point.

We don't need every individual to tell us why this very moment that word or action hurt, because we have known for decades that exactly these moments and these actions hurt! Expecting everyone to repeatedly express this is itself a form of harm perpetuated upon them, to continually prove their pain for our convenience.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:If someone steps on your toe, and you go ouch, do you want them to say sorry and move, or should they question you about your toes, whether you even have any, and whether it hurts you more when their heel is on your toe than it inconveniences them to move away?

No, because everyone already knows that stepping on toes hurts. The things that only hurt some and not others have to be explained.

Like, say, how most people can eat bread just fine but some people with gluten intolerance are hurt by it. If that person wants their friends to stop taking them out for pizza, they'll have to explain to them what gluten intolerance is.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:No, because everyone already knows that stepping on toes hurts.
Do they? I've never had my toes stepped on. Some people enjoy a bit of toe-stepping. If your toes are so sensitive, why are you wearing flip flops? I always wear steel-toed boots. You can step on my foot, I don't care. Fine, if I move my heel closer to your instep will you quit whining about it? See, maybe I'd move if you calmly explained what's wrong with me stepping on your toes, but you are just screaming, so I'm going to bounce up and down on your foot instead.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm not really sure what your point is. That some people are jerks? Cuz, like, duh. :scratch:
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

No, the point is that this is literally how that conversation goes for people who are targets of prejudice. Over and over, they have to have that conversation with each person who steps on their toe. Some people are oblivious. Many are malicious and are prepared to cross the street if they see a toe they could step on.

The point is, when someone tells you that you are hurting them, the kind thing to do is to assume they mean it unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just a little humour :)
Simpsons.jpg
Simpsons.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Bust out the body paint!
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That little girl is so cute!

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

BBC
A young Kenyan student is told to choose between wearing dreadlocks or going to school. Some people claim it is a violation of her rights as a Rastafarian; others claim the school is right to expect pupils to wear standard uniforms. Where do you stand in the debate? https://t.co/cqSpocJAwr
Or, why Black people may be unhappy about white people sporting dreadlocks.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:BBC
A young Kenyan student is told to choose between wearing dreadlocks or going to school. Some people claim it is a violation of her rights as a Rastafarian; others claim the school is right to expect pupils to wear standard uniforms. Where do you stand in the debate? https://t.co/cqSpocJAwr
Or, why Black people may be unhappy about white people sporting dreadlocks.
Exactly - appreciation is when you just want to do it too. Appropriation is when you want to be the only ones who do it. Maybe not terribly nuanced but a good broad spectrum view.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm not sure what to think. Uniforms (by their very name, purpose, & definition!) intentionally suppress individuality (ostensibly for the good of the 'whole'). The same. Without any difference. Commonality. There are pros & cons. Equality or a feeling of equality and sense of belonging. A commitment to the group as a whole rather than personal development and achievement. Of course, that can come at a personal cost/loss of personal development, achievement, & development of the individual.

In the US, our mindset tends to lean toward individual development & expression being more important. In Japan conformity for the greater good of all is the preferred attitude.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose, that's more or less where I started - uniforms have to be uniform, or what's the point? The pitfall here is that the uniform standards for the hairstyles are set based on average European hair. Ponytails, bobs, even one or two pigtails just don't work for very curly hair. So most students of African descent automatically find themselves out of compliance.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I've never understood why schools have to have policies about hair anyway, even if they have uniform policies.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hoo boy. I remember being in school in the late 60s and early 70s. Hair (for boys) was a HUGE issue. It couldn't be longer than the collar of your shirt.

By the mid-70s they had given up on that rule—but the reason I clearly remember the first time I saw my future husband is that he was one of the TWO young men at our 1,000-student high school whose hair was not just past his collar but hanging down his back.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!
Oh say can you see my eyes
If you can, then my hair's too short!

Should have put this one on my list of favorites! :love:
was a 2020 planner.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, man, that takes me back! My parents saw that show, bought the album, and played it endlessly. I loved it.

(They had no problem with Tom’s hair!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's pretty weird to me to think how politicized people's hair has been/can be. Like, why do you care? :scratch:
-The Decemberists