Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Jude »

If you're on the photo blog you've already met this character - but (s)he was back today:
raccoon.jpg
raccoon.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 10977 times
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Where’s Anthy when we need her?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cowering under the covers, I'm sure.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

We had a bright orange moon today, which I didn't quite manage to capture:
night1.jpg
night1.jpg (4.02 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
night2.jpg
night2.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Also, standing at the foot of this hill at night often reminds me of the dell in Weathertop - I just mentally erase the houses and let my imagination go wild.
night3.jpg
night3.jpg (6.32 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Lovely photos, Jude.

I woke at 4:30 this morning, and was very lucky to be able to look out of my window and see the lunar eclipse - the blood moon. It was seriously uncanny, watching the silver light of the moon being swallowed by the shadowy red. And the brilliance of Mars - it seemed big enough and close enough to touch. The full eclipse lasted for almost 2 hours, and by that stage the moon had set, obscured first by the trees, then by the dawn. It was a really remarkable sight and I wish I could have captured in it in a photo...but alas, I ended up with two fuzzy (but pink!) dots in a sea of black.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Nature Pics

Post by Inanna »

We had nonstop rain, thunderstorms and then clouds from 7:00 pm yesterday to 5:30ish this morning. All the plans of going to liberty science center and look at Mars through their telescopes were shot....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Some random nature pics to share

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I love the cloud one.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Nature Pics

Post by Inanna »

Oh nice, elengil.
:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Jude wrote:I love the cloud one.
Me too! I love all of them, but I particularly love that one.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Thank you all! I am always delighted when a picture comes out well, since I pride (?) myself on being a horrible photographer. :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Elengil! We should recruit you for the TORC photography blog!
https://theonering365.wordpress.com/
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:oops:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Behold! Is that a Black German Shepherd I see shining in the sun in front of me?
DSC04397.jpg
DSC04397.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 9217 times
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I think it's a wolf, actually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Looks more like a mysterious creature from outer space that just beamed down. Possibly an alien intelligence taking a canine shape after observing Earth. As Dave Barry pointed out, if you see two creatures on a walk, and one carries the other's poop, which would you assume is a dominant species?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

It's been a while since I saw something on a bike ride that made me stop turn around and go back to take a picture. I couldn't get close enough to get a crisp image with the phone camera, but it still was worth taking.Image

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

A heron!

....A heron? Around here that’s what I’d say it was.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, a Great Blue.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:A heron!

....A heron? Around here that’s what I’d say it was.
In Oregon, you say it questioningly?