Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this:Russia Says U.S. Military Must Listen to Trump and Work with Putin or Leave Syria Immediately What to make of that?
It's either total bullshit or the US military has mutinied. I'm going with total bullshit.

This is why it would be nice if the White House put out something, anything, concrete about what was discussed in that room in Helsinki. Right now all we've got to go on is what Russian media is putting out.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just keep waiting for Putin to say that Trump promised to give Alaska back to Russia.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:I just keep waiting for Putin to say that Trump promised to give Alaska back to Russia.
And Trump devotes would probably thank him for the pleasure. (ugh) I wonder what Sarah Palin would say? "I can see Russia IN my backyard!" (and front yard, house, etc..)

River, I don't think it was total BS: Military.com SOMETHING must have taken place. They are trying to put out another Trumpster fire. It is a real problem that no one else knows what went on in that meeting. Trump is itching to meet again for further instructions.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yikes.

I really want to stick with the total bullshit theory. Can I please do that in peace? :P Seriously though, why won't the White House just release a simple statement or two?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:Yikes.

I really want to stick with the total bullshit theory. Can I please do that in peace? Image Seriously though, why won't the White House just release a simple statement or two?
What would they say? "Putin is lying about the commitments made by the American President, creating an embarrassing situation that could have easily been avoided had the President considered for one second that the protocol exists to prevent exactly this scenario from happening"?

Although I personally think that having Russian and American militaries in the same theater without explicit coordination is a recipe for disaster.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For you River, BS it is! ;)

I wish the last 19+ months were BS. OH yeah.. it's BS but not TOTAL BS (as in it never happened). *sigh*
Something is not right. Where are the checks & balances that should be in place?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So, I've just read about QAnon. It's actually got mass, now.

Too many people not wearing their tinfoil hats, and the alien wavelengths have done things to their brains.

And then there is this: https://youtu.be/z1YP_zZJFXs

I don't even have words for this.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Frelga wrote:I just keep waiting for Putin to say that Trump promised to give Alaska back to Russia.
Seriously?

:roll:
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Seriously?

:roll:
No.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Impenitent wrote:So, I've just read about QAnon. It's actually got mass, now.

Too many people not wearing their tinfoil hats, and the alien wavelengths have done things to their brains.
There's some evidence that the whole Qanon thing might be an elaborate prank. Now, given that a Qanon follower got into an armed standoff on the Hoover damn some months back, has the prank (if that's what it is) gone horribly right or horribly wrong?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

If it began as a prank, it has taken on a life of it's own. It's similar to the Jade Helm conspiracy which turned out to be part of Russian disinformation campaign to breakdown trust in our government & institutions. It whips people up, gets them angry that someone is going to come and take away their guns (or whatever).
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:x :x :x :x :x :x
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

I've seen people die from asbestos cancer. It's horrible. No words for how evil this is...
Attachments
38814949_10155653165612555_671648068080238592_n.jpg
38814949_10155653165612555_671648068080238592_n.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 9513 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have plenty of words for that Sunny... I just don't think I can type them here. :rage: :x :devil:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Here's a link to the article, and some quotes from it:

https://archpaper.com/2018/08/epa-asbes ... facturing/
According to Fast Company, the EPA’s recently released report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances states that the agency will “no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments.”

This news comes after the EPA reviewed its first batch of 10 chemicals under the 2016 amendment to the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which requires the agency to continually reevaluate hundreds of potentially toxic chemicals in lieu of removing them from the market or placing new restrictions on their use. The SNUR greenlights companies to use toxic chemicals like asbestos without consideration about how they will endanger people who are indirectly in contact with them.

Asbestos was widely used in building insulation up until it was completely banned in most countries in the 1970s. The U.S. severely restricted its use without completely outlawing it. As Fast Company covered, the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) revealed in April that asbestos-related deaths now total nearly 40,000 annually, with lung cancer and mesothelioma being the most common illnesses in association with the toxin.

Earlier last month, The Washington Post noted that the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and the ADAO had discovered a controversial post on Russian asbestos exporter Uralasbest’s Facebook page showing photos of company pallets stamped with a seal of U.S. President Donald Trump’s face. As The Post covered, Trump has long been vocal about his skepticism about the harmful effects of asbestos, claiming in his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback, that anti-asbestos efforts were “led by the mob.” The Post uncovered how in 2012, he tweeted that the World Trade Center might not have burned had the fire-retardant material not been removed from the towers. It’s estimated that 400 tons of asbestos fiber went into the structures before the developers stopped it from being used further in 1971.
Attachments
Asbestos-3.jpg
Asbestos-3.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 9513 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh yea, I know/believed you Sunny. I've been quite upset about many of the short-sighted, anything-for-a-buck, I don't care about science or people, environmental nightmares this administration has rolled back/set in place. It will cost a ton to clean it up later and they aren't the ones who will pay for it because rich people don't pay taxes. Been there, done that.

The snopes pages for this environmental nightmare. If it's so wonderful, they aught to line Trumps bedroom with the stuff. Or maybe he has and that's why we get the 6am incoherent Toilet Twitter Tirades.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's the point of having the EPA if it's not going to be protecting the environment?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What do you mean Frelga? Doesn't EPA stand for Environmental Pollution Agency? :scratch: :eyeroll:

I'm old enough to recall what it was like before the EPA. It was initiated and backed by Republicans. It was considered a 'conservative' (antiquated use of the word, I guess) stance. It was a view I wholeheartedly embraced.

When I was young I lived in the country, but my father worked in the city. When he would come home his car would be covered in an orange sooty grime. Lake Erie was dead. There were environmental disasters (and the health disasters to go along with it). It cost a fortune to clean up. Why would any 'conservative' be so foolish & short-sighted to throw that all away for momentary gain? Greed. Selfish & ugly greed. I'll add stupidity. We used to be a nation of innovation. I don't believe we can't 'create jobs' and find better ways. This administration is living in the 1940's & 50's. It's not a good thing.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

We don't need a jackass face off. Though it would be hilarious if Avenatti tried to primary Trump.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, the debate would be... interesting, that's for sure. Still. Hard pass.