Christian Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Beutlin

Re: Christian Music

Post by Beutlin »

@Frelga: entsprungen literally means "has sprung up" or better "arisen". The whole title of the Carol literally translates as "a rose has sprung up" (I realize, of course that your comment was meant as a joke ^^. Curiously, I think the Ents would have liked or at least been puzzled by one aspect of modern German: compound words. See this English Wikipedia entry for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaudamp ... sellschaft)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's ironic that an atheist is the most regular contributor to this thread :P

Listen to this - it's gorgeous:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Some of the greatest music ever written grew out of religious faith.

I remember years ago reading a dismissive New Yorker review of an oratorio that began by saying something like how odd it was that such music was still being performed now that we have all become too sophisticated for those old stories to have any meaning.

If he couldn’t hear the music through his thick coating of sophistication, it was his loss. I knew plenty of atheist musicians back in the day who could hear it just fine.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Do you remember what the oratorio was?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don’t, alas. I remember I’d heard of it, but wasn’t familiar with it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It is gorgeous, Jude. :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Before there was Queen, there was... The Deller Consort!

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:It's ironic that an atheist is the most regular contributor to this thread :P
Perhaps, I confess in a way I miss the music. Yes, I can still listen to it, yes it still stirs all those emotions it did before, but sometimes I feel a little... not guilty exactly... hypocritical? Not sure exactly what the word is, but it's like I shouldn't still enjoy it but I do. I even sing it in the car sometimes just cause as you said, it really is just beautiful music sometimes!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You're not taking a philosophical position because you enjoy the music, elengil. It would be a sad thing if you couldn't get pleasure from a large body of beautiful music simply because your beliefs have evolved since you first started listening to it. Music belongs to everyone and should be enjoyed freely, that's what I say. I've been powerfully moved by music I happened to hear whose context and language I knew nothing about. It's a deeper connection than the mind, and therefore a good thing—something that has the potential to bind people together without reference to religion or politics or cultural beliefs.
elengil

Post by elengil »

On a rational level I totally agree. And it's funny because I can listen to religious music from other faiths and simply appreciate the beauty of the music. It just seems odd when I listen to Christian music. Still, I won't stop listening to the music I enjoy.

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's too late at night right now, but I'm going to come back to this thread tomorrow and listen to all these, now that my ears work.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Love those, Elengil!

This is maybe my most-loved Christmas carol:

English medieval music - I was brought up on this stuff :love:
elengil

Post by elengil »

Ah, a fellow medieval lover! Do you know of Medieval Babes? Many of their songs are from medieval origins

was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I've heard of them - and based on the samples you posted, I like them!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Went looking for non-saccharine Christmas music, found this. By "orthodoxy" I'm thinking they mean Greek Orthodox? The image with the music lends that direction but then that doesn't prove anything. Still, lovely harmonizing, very moving music.

was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Well, I had hoped to post some non-saccharine Christmas music of my own, but after booking the church and an accompanist, I found that they had locked the piano and neglected to provide me with a key. So we tentatively rebooked for 5 January. Whether or not we record at the same church depends on how they respond to my complaint when I get in touch with them.

So expect some Christmas music early January...
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Elengil, that's not Greek, so perhaps Serbian or Polish Orthodox? My beloved says it sounds Polish.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:Elengil, that's not Greek, so perhaps Serbian or Polish Orthodox? My beloved says it sounds Polish.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Admittedly I thought Greek Orthodox was just the eastern half of the old catholic church split but now as I type this I guess Eastern Orthodox would have been the term I was after. I am not up on my sects. I didnt even know there was a Polish Orthodox!
was a 2020 planner.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lovely! :love:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

If you're not tired of Christmas music yet, here is something interesting I discovered - The Medieval Baebes' version of "God rest ye merry, Gentlemen". At first I thought the lead singer was out of tune in one note, until I realized they were doing it in the Dorian mode instead of the minor. Check it out!