Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Frelga »

Poe's Law in one bumper sticker.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:oops: :rofl:

Well, then, I guess it's cleverly funny. :D

And now I know what Poe's law is too. Bonus.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Read up on Poe’s law - so cool. Thanks Frelga.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If I were an evil woman, I'd suggest that the TV Tropes article provides the best information, but I appreciate that you all have lives. =:)

I really want to believe it's a joke, because then my brain will stop going, "But then wouldn't the Romans have artillery?" But I've seen enough trucks with multiple bumper stickers dedicated to both Jesus and guns, and I don't think anyone is THAT dedicated to satire.
:help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:cry:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No words. Well, yeah, I have a lot of words. A lot of thoughts. It's just a sad, sick situation.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I quit mourning after Sandy Hook. Now I just count down for all the standard b.s. piety and hand-wringing, chased with nonsense conspiracy theories.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just will never understand why the right to wield an AR-15 at will is inviolable, more sacred than the lives of innocents. Of children. But that has been the case for years. We’ve sacrificed hundreds of innocents for that apparently essential freedom.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Onion runs the same story after every shooting, changing only the details

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Predictably (!!!), Republican talking heads are attacking the young survivors of the Parkland shooting for calling for a ban on automatic weapons.

In related news, I KNEW Bill O'Reilly is a despicable waste of oxygen, but somehow he can still surprise me.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Predictably (!!!), Republican talking heads are attacking the young survivors of the Parkland shooting for calling for a ban on automatic weapons.
I thought for sure they would be politically savvy enough to not touch that with a 1000-mile pole.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If you believe and want everyone else to believe they're being used as props by adults it works.

While I'm certain the kids are getting advice and encouragement from adults with experience in activism and civil disobedience, teenagers aren't sheep or even sheepish. If throngs of kids are staging walk-outs and lie-ins, it's because they want to.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:Predictably (!!!), Republican talking heads are attacking the young survivors of the Parkland shooting for calling for a ban on automatic weapons.
I thought for sure they would be politically savvy enough to not touch that with a 1000-mile pole.
Or, you know, possess a basic decency, or some qualifications for entry into the human race.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's disgusting. And now Don Jr is spreading his vile nazi alt-right conspiracy theory crap by 'liking' posts that attack surviving students as 'fake'. No, it's not decent.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

RoseMorninStar wrote:It's disgusting. And now Don Jr is spreading his vile nazi alt-right conspiracy theory crap by 'liking' posts that attack surviving students as 'fake'. What a horrid piece of human waste. No, it's not decent.
I know that this issue engenders strong feelings, but calling any person "a horrid piece of human waste" is not acceptable here. Please moderate your language in the future.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I apologize. Post corrected.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I saw this yesterday, and thought you all might think it was interesting.
I checked the stats on the Ruger, and they are accurate.
28056745_10216020473530051_8008038996748084075_n.jpg
28056745_10216020473530051_8008038996748084075_n.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Am I a weenie liberal for saying "Ban both of them"?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The AR gets the attention because it's the one mass murderers actually use, but in the highly unlikely event that it gets banned for civilian use, I'm sure other models with similar specs would get swept up along with it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do these guns fire the same number of rounds per second and have the same killing distance? If yes, then I say ban them both. To me, the deciding factors would not be the model of the rifle or the type of ammunition it's what it would take to stop the gunman, and how many people they can kill before somebody stops them.