Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:They're taking this to the press because if the took it to judge the judge would throw them out on their ears, right?
It might depend on the judge. All too often, "lawful" like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pending judicial review, looks like Democrat Shelly Simonds won a seat in the VA House of Delegates by ONE VOTE.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dang.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So did the Democrats take it over, or do we know yet?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think if she wins it'll be 50/50
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

50-50 if the result stands. The two parties are going to have to re-learn how to work together.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It doesn't stand.

"NEWPORT NEWS - A three- judge panel declined to certify the recount of a key House race today, saying that a questionable ballot should be counted in favor of the Republican and tying a race that Democrats had thought they had won by a single vote."

Next up, a coin toss. Really.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I thought the rules were that a Democrat has to be more than 3-4% ahead in order to win.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

New York Times
In Oval Office meeting, POTUS groused that thousands of immigrants from Haiti all have AIDS and that those from Nigeria would never return to "huts" once they saw America @shearm @juliehdavis https://t.co/wiGpOlS7Ik1

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That link is not working for me.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jewel posted this on Facebook. Fascinating read, and rings true.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Actual number performed by senior campaign officials after the votes were tallied:
https://tinyurl.com/yd8qkjop

ETA: Dang it; should have read the whole thing first; they beat me to that joke!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I was reading that yesterday, Al. I found it engrossing and then I realized it wasn't fiction and had to take a sanity break. Rinse and repeat about five or six times. It hit me at one point that maybe all those palace intruge stories coming out over the past year weren't so much the results of disaffected White House staff as people who Trump was talking at on the phone, in the evening, when he thought himself off the clock and off the record... And, of course, Bannon's gone all scorched-earth.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I feel like I knew everything I needed to know about Trump three days into his candidacy.

The NPR take:

Trump's Blowup With Bannon Means He's Now All In With McConnell, Establishment https://t.co/M4RHNNhAs7

Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:It doesn't stand.

"NEWPORT NEWS - A three- judge panel declined to certify the recount of a key House race today, saying that a questionable ballot should be counted in favor of the Republican and tying a race that Democrats had thought they had won by a single vote."

Next up, a coin toss. Really.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html
The Republican candidate, David Yancey, had his name pulled out of a bowl and was declared the winner.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did they check what the second name was? Image

Of interest to our friends in California, Colorado, and other places:

@NPRpolitics:
Attorney General Rescinds Obama-Era Marijuana Guidelines

The Obama administration had removed marijuana from the list of federal drug enforcement priorities. Now the Justice Department will permit individual U.S. attorneys to decide how aggressively to go after marijuana in their jurisdictions.

https://t.co/oy4k51WIVX
https://t.co/LG6V4pIbRC

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Today was the day Gardner's fate in 2020 was sealed. Fool voted to confirm Sessions and now look what Sessions is doing for a major Colorado industry...
Voronwë the Faithful

I heard an interview with him today. He was not at all pleased. He said that Sessions assured him at his confirmation hearing that he would not do this. I'm not sure I believe that is true. He also said that he might block future Justice Department nominees over this.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3674 ... ana-policy
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Except didn't Sessions just appoint seventeen of them, presumably to avoid just such backlash?