The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Sunsilver »

I saw Last of the Blonde Bombshells on TMN the other night. Been a while since I enjoyed a movie that much! Ian Holm was so different from his Bilbo persona that I didn't recognize him!

The dialogue was terrific - some great zingers between Ian and Judi Dench's characters and some of the other Bombshells!

Elizabeth: You don't play anymore?

Gwen: No, I retired when all the trumpet players... came home from the war wanting their jobs back.
The men. You know what I mean. Besides, it was hard on the lips, babe. I stick to the singing.

Patrick: No more triple tonguing?

Gwen: (who was married to him briefly) That ceased to be your business long ago.

Patrick: It is Elizabeth, isn't it? Well, don't you remember?
Metropole Ballroom?
Moonlight Serenade?
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company B?

Elizabeth: Patrick

Patrick: You see? You do remember.

Elizabeth: The man we were all warned about.

Patrick: At least offer me the hand of friendship.

Elizabeth: I might never see it again.

Ian pulls off being dressed in drag, as the Bombshells ne'r-do-well drummer. He's really quite the loveable scamp. Even though Elizabeth has no illusions about him having changed his ways over the years, he keeps giving her flowers -until she finds out he's using her credit card to buy them! :suspicious:
Last edited by Sunsilver on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Disaster Artist.

The most entertainment I’ve had in a movie theatre for a long time. As a connoisseur of The Room (I don’t think ‘fan’ is the right word) I had been anticipating this film until I first heard about it, and I wasn’t disappointed. James Franco’s performance as Tommy Wiseau is some of the best acting I’ve ever seen; not only does he capture the quirks of the very quirky actor/director exactly he plays him in a way that is both hilarious to watch but still very sympathetic.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Shape of Water was WONDERFUL.

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Was it scary? It looks intriguing, but I don't like horror movies.

Has anyone seen The Darkest Hour? My friend wants to see it, and I'm just wondering if it's good.

The Disaster Artist looked kind of interesting.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My son came from watching Coco more impressed than I've ever seen him after a movie. "Way better than Star Wars," in his words.

Now he's asking what else was good last year. All I'm coming up with is superhero movies and horror movies, neither of which he likes. Any recommendations?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I think my favorite was Blade Runner 2049 but, well, not for everyone. Most kids (and some adults) will find it boring, plus it's R. How old is he?

I only saw a handful of new movies though.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote:Was it scary? It looks intriguing, but I don't like horror movies.
It has some dark moments but it's definitely not horror. Not at all. I found it very, very beautiful overall.
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Good to know! I will keep it on my list of possibilities then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:My son came from watching Coco more impressed than I've ever seen him after a movie. "Way better than Star Wars," in his words.

Now he's asking what else was good last year. All I'm coming up with is superhero movies and horror movies, neither of which he likes. Any recommendations?
Me and LW both had tears in our eyes at the end of Coco. Such a touching movie.

My favorite movie of the year was Get Out. It looks like it was a lot of other people's favorites too as it's making a lot of critic year-end lists.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Definitely want to see Get Out.

Our New Year's Eve movies were The Big Sick (so funny and heartwarming—and a true story, which is a bonus) and La La Land, which was just sweep-you-off-your-feet musical fun. Get Out was going to be next, but it was almost midnight when we finished the second movie (which it always is; we should stop planning three).

Definitely planning on seeing Coco as well; our son and DIL adored it, and they are animation connoisseurs (and our son went through Spanish immersion for 12 years and celebrated Día de los Muertos every year in school, instead of Halloween).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hoping to see "The Greatest Showman" tonight. Getting rave reviews from my Musical buddies.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I was majorly let down by Get Out due to
Hidden text.
the fact that the second part resorted to a supernatural/extreme sci-fi explanation for the mysteries set up by the first.
I wasn't aware it was that sort of movie, so the whole thing just felt like cheating, and I spent the final act flipping though my phone instead of paying full attention (I watched it at home :)).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga, show him “Lion”. True story, made very very well.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Lion’s been on my list for a long time. Maybe this weekend.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I loved Lion. 8) Especially being an adoptee myself. The film deals with the pertinent issues in a sensitive and responsible way.

Dev Patel is excellent in it - also gorgeous, lol. And as for that darling little boy playing his younger self ... :love:

I normally don't care for Nicole Kidman, but she was really great as the adoptive mother.

A true, amazing story. Adoption/reunion stories are often stranger than fiction.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Darkest Hour

The premise was simple, even formulaic at times, but the execution was superb. The script was very good, there was some nice camerawork, and of course, some outstanding acting. Gary Oldman’s Winston Churchill is a lot of fun to watch, although there’s some other fine performances as well.

After watching Darkest Hour, Selma and (especially) Lincoln I’ve decided the best formula for a biopic is to focus on a key moment in a person’s life rather than try to take the viewer through everything from the cradle to the grave. I didn’t find Darkest Hour quite as good as Lincoln, but it’s still a very good film.

It covers the events from Churchill’s appointment as prime minister on 10 May 1940 to the immediate aftermath of the Dunkirk Evacuation and the “We shall fight on the beaches” speech on 4 June. At heart, it is a political drama around the question of whether the British Government should negotiate with Hitler to end the War or keep fighting. Something I really liked about the film was its sympathetic portrayal of the pro-negotiation faction. With the advantage of hindsight we know the Allies actually won the Second World War (spoiler alert) but at the time but at the time it didn’t seem all that unreasonable to find a compromise with Hitler as to spare Britain from invasion and conquest and prevent millions more deaths. To many, Churchill with all his “death or victory” rhetoric seemed to be living some sort of fantasy of fighting to the death without regards to the human cost, and his judgement in politics had been very questionable up to that point. I would have been happy to have had the film go on longer, up to the “Finest Hour” or “The Few”, but I understand not everyone has my appetite for sitting through hours of historical drama.

That said, there is still a bit of “as you know, Bob”. In the opening parliamentary debate (which begins with a neat overhead shot) the speakers helpfully remind every who is in Government and who is the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition. But this sort of thing is probably unavoidable. The film does make a neat companion to Nolan’s Dunkirk – watched together they give a complete May 1940 experience.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Túrin, that was a masterful review. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Shape of Water was very good indeed. I didn't see that many new movies last year, but it was probably my favorite (Blade Runner 2049 is second I think).

Been awhile since I saw this, but I don't think Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri should have won the Golden Globe and hope it doesn't win the Oscar. It has a great cast, but the script comes across as overwritten and trying too hard.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This isn't a movie, but John Lithgow's performance as Churchill in season 1 of The Crown is worth the price of admission. Even if you have no interest in the royal family, there's a lot there.

Here's a 4-minute taste on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5BEk-PO8E
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I agree. I went into The Crown a little apprehensive that it would be either a plodding period piece or a soap opera with fancier clothes and sets than usual, but it was great. The second series does get a bit soapy, but it's still a solid drama. And Lithgow is a superb Churchill.

Albert Finney also does a great Churchill in The Gathering Storm. Oldman had big shoes to fill coming in, but he brings something of his own to the film.