Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

The mother only feeds the babies once or twice in a 24 hour period. I think they could survive for a couple of days without her, and maybe by then, it would be safe to return mom to the area.

Nests are far enough underground that the babies would likely survive the fire. Food might be an issue afterwards, though.

And then, maybe the rabbit in question was a male. Or a female without any dependents...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alabama Senate campaign:

"Kayla Moore: "Fake News would tell you that we don’t care for Jews. One of our attorneys is a Jew."

https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/ ... 0020673536
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Is this attorney one of their best friends?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not anymore, I'm pretty sure.

This should go into a writing thread but I can't figure out which one.

"To all copy editors: We’re Alabamians. Not Alabamans."

https://twitter.com/AaronSuttles/status ... 4534320129

Some entertaining replies to this tweet, like "Yes. Fondly do I recall my days in Alabamia!" .
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and acknowledge that I don't understand the derision thrown at people who say: hey, I have jewish/indian/chinese friends, I'm not a racist.

I understand that noting a friend is jewish/indian/asian/white indicates that you miht be seeing them as jewish/indian/asian/white and not as your friend. And I understand that having such a friend does not actually indicate whether you are racist/bigot or not (like my parents make qualifications for their muslim friends, but are still bigoted in that regard).

BUT two things:
1. having friends across races/religions/whatever is a good thing - it shows positive behavior, not just mouthing palititudes. AND it opens you up to seeing their differences as non-differences. It's a step towards overcoming your own bigotry.
2. I AM Indian. Just as my advisor IS Jewish. If I acknowledge him as such - why is it wrong?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not, Inanna. It's only wrong when "best Jewish friend" is invoked as a defense from the charges of antisemitism after making blatantly antisemitic statements. Also applies to Black and gay friends.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't even know what to do with this.

The Senate’s Russia Investigation Is Now Looking Into Jill Stein
When asked Monday what the committee was looking for from the Stein campaign, North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr, the committee’s chairman, responded, "collusion with the Russians." Burr said that the committee is "just starting" its work investigating two campaigns, but did not elaborate.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This might be peak 2017. But just a baseline for 2018.

Just perfect.
Dutch journalist to new US Ambassador: you said there were 'no go zones' in Netherlands, where are they?
Ambassador: That's fake news, I didn't say that
Journalist: We can show you that clip now.
Ambassador: Err
https://t.co/8ohIOzmYAc

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Manafort is suing Mueller and the DoJ for indicting him. It's a suit that will get thrown out and may even get Manafort's lawyer sanctioned.
What exactly is his camp's legal strategy here?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Also here?

"BREAKING - Attorneys for President Trump send Steve Bannon a cease and desist letter citing the non disclosure agreement he signed during the campaign https://t.co/jDybwQenJ2"

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

From the I Swear It's Not The Onion Department (this one is LA Times)

CDC director resigns over financial conflicts including stock in tobacco, beer and soda companies

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

How typical of the Trump administration! :x How could a DOCTOR possibly own shares in a TOBACCO company, and still sleep at night??

My husband often said he'd like to blow up a tobacco factory. He said he'd wait until he was in his advanced old age, and it would be sort of a 'last act'. The court would likely have mercy on him due to his age.

I kind of regret he never got the chance. He smoked for a number of years, quitting when his kids were still in grade school and begged him to stop. Sadly, the cancer that ultimately killed him is very, very strongly tied to smoking. 90% of its victims are smokers or ex-smokers. And his ex-wife was a heavy smoker, so secondhand smoke may have played a part as well. :cry:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunny, :hug:

Fitzgerald also owned stocks in pharmaceutical companies which forced her to recuse herself from working on cancer research and opioid addiction, two major areas of the CDC mission.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Coincidence?
The annual GOP retreat is being held at the Greenbrier Resort – home to a Cold War-era bunker once intended to house Congress in the event of a nuclear attack. https://t.co/ueNKT0JixT

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Maybe if we just tell them there's a nuclear attack, we could get them to stay in there for a few decades.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is an actual tweet from Paul Ryan's actual verified account.
A secretary at a public high school in Lancaster, PA, said she was pleasantly surprised her pay went up $1.50 a week ... she said [that] will more than cover her Costco membership for the year. https://t.co/yLX1Bod1j0
Eta: Which he deleted after a wave of ridicule and followed up with
“I have heard time and again that the middle class is getting crumbs, but I’ll take it!” https://t.co/yLX1Bod1j0
That asshole. I've been where 1.50 a week would have made a real difference, and I know it doesn't add up to paying for Costco, because if you are in a place where you notice the 1.50 a week, it's because you have to spend it that week.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Dave_LF wrote:Maybe if we just tell them there's a nuclear attack, we could get them to stay in there for a few decades.
Yeah, you wish, eh? :(
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Fox News ran a story about Hilary Clinton today headlined "Get Over it Already!" They seem unaware of the irony.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave_LF wrote:Fox News ran a story about Hilary Clinton today headlined "Get Over it Already!" They seem unaware of the irony.
I hear she's getting impeached for selling all our uranium any day now. ;)
When you can do nothing what can you do?