The Cost of Virtue

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: The Cost of Virtue

Post by Impenitent »

Decline of empire sounds dramatic, I know, but that's where America as a world power now stands in the long sweep of history, well on the downward slope with decreasing moral, economic and political authority.

As with the falls of previous empires, there is political and economic splintering occuring amongs the states that have previously been under the political wing of the dominant power, and the next generations will live through a period of uncertainty.

Interesting times.

This is not what we were promised. Either the Age of Aquarius flew past us in a blink (a couple of months in the late 70's?) or it skipped us altogether. [/bitter jesting].

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula Baggins wrote:Where are we, that this won’t end his political career?

I guess past the point where sexually assaulting teenagers could end your political career. If you’re in the right party.

I feel sick.
The Jones campaign seems to be more aggressively addressing this news then they have the allegations of sexual misconduct. The theory seems to be in a race that still seems close (though most recent polls have Moore ahead) boosting turnout among African-Americans outraged by these comments (which were not actually recent; they were made in September but were recently retweeted) could put Jones over the top.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That actually makes a 2017 kind of sense. The former shows that he is a horrible human, the latter that his politics are horrible for a group of voters.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... gainst-him

Even without him being a sex abuser, even without the statements about slavery, Moore is clearly unfit for office.

I'm not really buying that Franken and Conyers were forced to resign out of any sense of virtue. Their seats are being taken by Democrats and now this gives the Democrats an open lane to attack Republicans on Moore. It's just normal politics.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"Partisan politics does strange things to human minds."

That sentence should be on the $1 bill.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Faramond wrote:I'm not really buying that Franken and Conyers were forced to resign out of any sense of virtue. Their seats are being taken by Democrats and now this gives the Democrats an open lane to attack Republicans on Moore. It's just normal politics.
Actually, while Franken's seat will be taken by a Democrat in the short run, as the Democratic governor will appoint an interim senator, there is a very good chance that the seat will go to a Republican next year. Franken's term was not scheduled to end until 2020, but now there will be a new election next year, and popular ex-Governor Tim Pawlenty is the likely GOP nominee, should he choose to run. If he does run he will probably be the favorite over likely interim senator Tina Smith, the current Lt. Gov. Minnesota is one of the most purple states in the nation (Franken won his seat by one of the smallest margins ever ( 312 votes out of nearly three million cast) though he quickly became very popular and won reelection easily in 2014. This has gone from a solidly Democratic seat for the foreseeable future to toss-up in the crucial 2018 mid-term election.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Griff made the same point without the detail, but I'm not buying that a Republican will win in MN in a likely wave election for Democrats. Anyway, clearing a lane to attack Roy Moore and his horse Sassy is more important than a possibility of losing in 2018.

The RNC is immoral and stupid, just like Trump. What is the political calculus of even supporting Moore? They have to know he will be used against their candidates. Are they just hoping he wins so they can then boot him out of the Senate and then -- what? Another appointee? I think they're playing the same 17 dimensional chess that Trump plays.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't disagree with your fundamental point, Faramond. In fact, I was just stating in a phone conversation with my Dad that I don't think they Democrats are any more moral than the Republicans. I am heartily sick of all of them, to be honest.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Third party! Third party! Third party! Third party! Third party! Third party! Third party!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Trumpites broke away from the Republican party, dooming both electorally for a while, but maybe allowing the Republican party to return to its principles. That would be a better outcome than principled Republicans creating a new party and ceding the GOP to the unprincipled.

Sometimes amputation is the only way to save your life.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, yov. I haven't found that third-party politicians (or independents) are fundamentally any better, and in some cases they are worse (arguably, Trump is really a third-party politician masquerading as a Republican). Ross Perot, Jesse Ventura, Ron Paul, etc. The last third party or independent candidate that I thought was remotely worth considering was John Anderson (and in hindsight he really doesn't look as good to me now as he did then).

x-posted with the famous author
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:salmon:

And there's more where that one came from.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Everything confusing about Republican politics in 2017 stems from the assumption that GOP is committed to any sort of democratic process. Thesis - the GOP is dedicated to seizing and maintaining power for the benefit of a handful of wealthy donors, relies on the voters that will trust only party-approved information sources, failing that engages in blatant vote suppression and manipulation, and incites racial and religious hatred to mask problems caused or exacerbated by their policies. Is there anything about 2017 that does not fit that explanation?

I would welcome evidence to the contrary, as long as it is based on facts.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Roy Moore lost. There is still hope.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, there is.

Black voters did it. They can do it again.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Was that the only reason?

(If the famous author says so...)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pretty much, yeah.
uploadfromtaptalk1513142833707.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1513142833707.jpg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 12455 times

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Inanna, :salmon: Maybe I am going to run out. :x

And, black voters didn't just solidly vote Democratic; their turnout was way up. That did it. They did it.

(Turnout among white Republican voters was way down, too— Moore's percentages were significantly less than Trump's a year earlier. That helped. But it wouldn't have been enough without the really big turnout among nonwhite Democrats.)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't disagree with your fundamental point, Faramond. In fact, I was just stating in a phone conversation with my Dad that I don't think they Democrats are any more moral than the Republicans. I am heartily sick of all of them, to be honest.
I actually think the problem lies in the voters rather than the politicians. We get the best politicians we can expect given a) the level of personal vitriol routinely directed against those on the 'other' side, which must make anyone think twice about running for office, and b) the tendency of people to form blocs, defend the indefensible on their own side, and credit the worst possible motives to those on the other.

On the latter point, one of my favourite essays - Notes on Nationalism by George Orwell, May 1945. I was going to post it in the Echo Chamber thread, but it works just as well here.

http://orwell.ru/library/essays/nationa ... lish/e_nat
Voronwë the Faithful

Túrin Turambar wrote:I actually think the problem lies in the voters rather than the politicians.
I don't disagree, although an argument can be made that voters are limited by who actually runs for office.