The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:That would be fine if Thor only existed in movies, but he doesn’t. He’s a fully fleshed out character with a weight of history behind him. This is like making a LotR movie and making Frodo into Peewee Herman.
It'd be more like making Gimli into Peewee Herman because who cares about Gimli? :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Um?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:halo:

:kiss:
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Marvel Thor is not supposed to be the Norse mythology Thor.

I haven't seen Ragnarok yet and have no opinion. I did finally see Spiderman the Homecoming. It was sufficiently entertaining.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

To be clear, I was referring to the decades of Marvel backstory to Thor, not the Norse Mythology. 1962-present.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:To be clear, I was referring to the decades of Marvel backstory to Thor, not the Norse Mythology. 1962-present.
Oh, yes, that's definitely true.

I don't think the MCU is making an attempt to bring comics books on screen as much as constructing an entirely different world populated with some versions of the same characters, reimagined as if their lives were a certain way.

Having started with the MCU versions, I may be biased, but I think it's the right call. The comics universe is a tangle produced by many authors, in changing times, with retcons, alternative versions, alternative worlds and time lines. You could make a movie based on comic canon where Tony is female, Thor is a frog, and Cap is a werewolf.

Actually, I'd watch that.

I don't have a point, I just love that verse with all its flaws.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh likewise. I guess I just personally didn't like this latest take on Thor. Its like they're trying to replicate Guardians of the Galaxy or Homecoming with characters who don't fit that mould.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hopefully I'll be able to form an opinion this weekend... The box office and the critics seem to like it.

Is anyone excited for the Justice League? The trailer looked like a mess of special effects to me, but the Aquaman is cool.

I think the difference between DC and MCU so far is that DC asks us to take the character's angst at face value, where MCU acknowledges that yeah, but he's kind of a jackass.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Is anyone excited for the Justice League?
I'm excited to make fun of it and it's inevitably terrible reviews. Does that count?
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

When Aquaman's trident has five points, you know you're in trouble. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pentadent?

Watched The Nannie Diaries. The romcom is mostly remarkable because it stars Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson, five years before Captain America and the Black Widow, and includes the scene in which Evans is laughing at Johansson who is dressed up in a star-spangled costume.

Otherwise, the movie is designed to make poor people feel better by portraying rich people as miserable and loveless.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar wrote:When Aquaman's trident has five points, you know you're in trouble. :)
Yeah, seriously... :suspicious:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Well, I've now seen gay romance Call Me By Your Name twice, and I want to see it AGAIN. ;)

I love, love, LOVE this film. It's a first love, rites of passage story, set in the summer of 1983 in a sun-drenched Italy, and it's gorgeous and dreamy and heartfelt and deeply moving. It all feels intensely real, as if you're watching it unfold in real time. And yes, it's about two young men who fall in love with each other (and naturally they're both drop-dead gorgeous), but the characters of Oliver and Elio are you, me and everyone who has fallen HARD for someone and never forgotten their first real love. Everyone in the film is wonderful - Armie Hammer gives a terrific performance as the older and more worldly-wise Oliver, but it's Timothée Chalamet as the 17 year old Elio (both precocious and desperately vulnerable) who is utterly astounding. It's as if he's not acting. He is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on film. :love:

And I wanted to give him the biggest hug.

There are a couple of pretty explicit scenes, but this film is as much about love and tenderness as it is about passion and sex. It's like those really good indie films they used to make in the 1980s, with a strong narrative and a lovely soundtrack. The three beautiful songs by Sufjan Stevens on the soundtrack break my heart. :bawl:

'Mystery of Love'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psIPQMgThFg

'Futile Devices'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2nMUrSv4hE

'Visions of Gideon' (beware spoilers in the comments)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJytBqnWtEI
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pearly, that's very moving.

Saw Ragnarok. I can see what Al means, it definitely follows more of a GotG style. I don't know much about the 616!Thor, but even for me there were a couple scenes that went too far.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. I think the less serious interpretation was a good choice. We've seen this trope played straight enough times.

I can't WAIT until The Black Panther!

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Pearly, that sounds lovely! :)

And I'm a fan of Sufjan (thanks to yovi), so I'll have to listen to those songs. Can't wait!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has anyone seen Orient Express yet? Do you recommend?

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No, but I saw Coco last night with LW and we were both in tears by the end. So good, so beautiful!
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

TMC just showed Berlin Express, filmed in 1948 in the real, ruined streets of post-war Berlin and Frankfurt. Now it's the 1940 Mortal Storm, chronicling Hitler's rise to power by focusing on one family and a group of friends.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

War for Planet of the apes.
The best of what I think is the best trilogy of this decade so far.

And it's got not-so-subtle nods to a number of old movies such as the ten commandments, Ben-Hur, the Great Escape, Apocalypse Now and of course the original Planet of the Apes.