Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Trump's America

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:I think it might be an insult to the brigand community.
That's why I left out the dogs bit.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I had to zip on over to Google news to make sure that "House of Trump" quote really was a joke, because you can just never be sure these days...
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

LOL! I was wondering, too!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was Saruman to Théoden.

"Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among the dogs?"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Oh I know, but I was not prepared to dismiss the possibility that KJU was using LotR to generate insults.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tru dat. :D

According to WaPo, it's a translation of a Korean insult, possibly using an old dictionary (although just how old?)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

This is not directly Trump related, but I'm not sure where to put it. Speaking of things the right does that just tick me right the frick off, there's this:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... river_home
The Michigan government, the same Michigan government that allowed the Flint water crisis to happen and that's done precious little to ameliorate it afterwards, the same Michigan government that's dominated by the GOP against the will of the majority of its citizen due to some of the worst gerrymandering in the nation, met yesterday to block local governments from taxing soda or junk food. It's worth pointing out that not one single local government has proposed doing anything of the sort. The same legislature passed a similar bill earlier to outlaw outlawing plastic grocery bags (again, no one has tried). This, to my mind is just flat out evil, albeit of a fairly petty variety. Not only are we going to refuse to do anything about these problems, we're going to commit time and money toward making it illegal for anyone else to try. Because evidently we want more sugar and garbage in the world. Not to mention utterly hypocritical from the supposed party of local control.

I can't think of a rationale for these bills other than "nah nah nah nah boo boo."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave, I wanted to respond but words failed. So petty.

Meanwhile.

This is the actual headline from The Hill

"Trump complained to Tillerson about law barring US companies from bribing foreign officials: report http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ribing?amp

Related - Rexit is a word now.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

So where was this George W. Bush at the start of the century? I almost want to vote for him. :P
Speech transcript via politico
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This made me want to vote for McCain. Such a shame he has cancer... :cry:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... eech-video
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Of course he opposes nationalism, it is nationalism that makes those pesky fake governments around the world object to the military intervention of the USA. (Dripping with Sarcasm, of course - the US doesn't care of those governments object in the first place.)

His Hawkishness makes me never willing to vote for McCain. "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran."
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:His Hawkishness makes me never willing to vote for McCain. "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran."
For people who don't recall, during the 2008 presidential campaign, McCain caused some controversy by singing "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" when asked about military action against Iran at a campaign appearance in South Carolina. This was actually the chorus of a parody song of the of the Regents' song "Barbara Ann", originally written by Fred Fassert that had originally been created during the hostage crisis in 1980. McCain claimed he was joking, but it pretty clearly reflected at least to some extent his true feelings.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

10-Year-Old Immigrant Is Detained After Agents Stop Her on Way to Surgery
10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy has been detained by federal immigration authorities in Texas after she passed through a Border Patrol checkpoint on her way to a hospital to undergo emergency gall bladder surgery.

The girl, Rosamaria Hernandez, who was brought over the border illegally to live in Laredo, Tex., when she was three months old, was being transferred from a medical center in Laredo to a hospital in Corpus Christi around 2 a.m. on Tuesday when Border Patrol agents stopped the ambulance she was riding in, her family said. The agents allowed her to continue to Driscoll Children’s Hospital, the family said, but followed the ambulance the rest of the way there, then waited outside her room until she was released from the hospital.

By Wednesday evening, according to family members and advocates involved in her case, immigration agents had taken her to a facility in San Antonio where migrant children who arrive alone in the United States from Central America are usually held, even though her parents, who both lack legal status, live 150 miles away in Laredo.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The cruelty of this administration's policies is mind-boggling.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

And yet, once again we're dealing with perception versus reality. Republicans always talk tough on immigration, Democrats usually act tougher. We're being given news reports on the hard cases under Republicans, we're never given news reports on the hard cases under Democrats.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RELEASE 10-YEAR OLD ROSA MARIA

ACLU will dial the phone for you if you want to call the Office of Refugee Resettlement (or you can call ORR at (202) 401-9246). They also provide this handy script:
I’m calling to ask you to release Rosa Maria Hernandez back to the care of her family today. This 10-year-old elementary-school student needs to be recovering from surgery at home with her family, not jailed in a detention center. What the government is doing is outrageous and cruel.
Vornowe, I am very interested to hear your take on the reports that Mueller's investigation filed charges.

Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga, I saw a report saying that last night, but I didn't see any details as to who was being charged or for what. But I can't imagine that it is not a significant moment. If I see more I will comment more.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The indictment has been sealed for now. It’s probably the first of many.

The investigation started at the fringes of the case and has been moving gradually inward and upward, so I’m wondering if it will be someone in those fringes this time around.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Seth Abramson started by guessing it was Flynn but now is putting his money on Kushner. I find that hard to believe, that they would go after someone that close to the President right off the bat.

Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but in my opinion Seth Abramson is not a source worth listening to.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk